degree NorCal water with a 4.5mm fullsuit and booties so I am guessing
    that adds some weight. I dunno, maybe 5-10lbs wet? I am an average
    surfer in pretty good physical shape, but I only get a chance to get
    in the water about 2 times a week max because of the job and other
    stuff.

I am having a tough time deciding between the 5’5” and the 5’7” Baked
    Potato. Right now I am pretty comfortable on my 6’0” Al Merrick Pod
    (poly board) that has 34.1L of volume, but when it is really mushy I
    tire myself out paddling into waves that are barely pushing me.

For some of the mushy stuff up here in NorCal I would like a little
    bit more “get up and go”. However, I wouldn’t want to have to duck
    dive something with more float than my Pod.

The volume on the 5’5” BP is 36L and on the 5’7” BP 39.9L. I am
    thinking that if I can paddle into pretty well into mushy 1-3ft stuff
    on my Pod (34.1L), then the 5’5” BP should be even easier, right?. I am not sure
    though since the volume calculator says that for my skill level,
    weight and age I should be on the 5’7”. What I want is to be able to
    take out my Baked when I would normally be reaching for my 9’0”.
    Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Hmmmm.... maybe a better way to ask the question is what would be the
    pros and cons of the 5'7" vs. the 5'5" for someone with my stats?

get the 5'5 Baked. the difference between the two is just volume. For the potato line, it's recommended to go as small as possible (starting point) then go up in size from there. I'm 5'8, 175lbs, i would ride a 5'2 Sweet and 5'3 Baked.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Yeah I second the 5'5. Any bigger and it'll feel clumsy and boaty

Comment

@hawaii_boi, what did u ride this past swell. i broke my TOMO, and from then on it was ADD, BP, my country PU and Hypto. the BP was super fun. wreaking havoc w/ that board is a requirement. when r u getting urs?

Comment

Thanks for the info! I am putting my order in today. 5'5" Timbertek. I will give a report on how it goes.

Comment

fokaiHI, I rode my Sweet potato mostly at Canoes and Queens. I went out to Cliffs last Thursday...was about 2-3+ and clean. I have a 5'8 spitfire that I should have used but it's too much fun on the potato :) You gonna get a new Tomo? RipCurl Ala Moana just posted on Craigslist that they have 5'2 to 5'8 Vanguards along with 5'1 technograin Baked.

Since it will take 12 weeks for a pre-ordered board to come in, I've decided to just wait till second batch of Timber boards come in. In the meantime searching for a used Baked in RF or WRF.

ALOHA!!

Comment

@groundswell, awesome! make sure you pair it up with a good fin setup. my recommendation is Futures Jordy L front + QD400 rear or Stretch rear. It's fast and responsive AND never loses speed!

Comment

nah. i'll pass on the TOMO. my BP is too much fun. my ADD is going to blow up w/ these next 2 swells coming in. and i got a custom quiver killer coming in any day now. its kind of an ADD w/ a round pin at 6'0 x 20 x 2 7/8 @39L. if that doesn't do it, i'll order a 6'6 ADD. hit me up for the swells. i got the free parking in Waikiki.

Comment

@fokaiHI, I can't wait to get my own BP! Tuesday should be big...forecast calling it 4-6. I wonder if the BP can handle Browns haha. Who is the shaper for your custom board? How's the hypto krypto board? Is your free parking very close to Queens and Canoes. right now I'm just parking at Ohana East early bird special...everyone splits the cost haha. See you in the water!

ALOHA!!

Comment

I have the same question(5'5 vs 5"7) BP? Although I am 195lbs and will be using it for a south shore groveler. Im pretty average with 15 yrs exp and usually surf a 6'1 ELF at cliffs, sui's, the beach park. Any advice? Mahalo!

Comment

@hawaii_boi... the BP can handle just bout anything. i park right at Threes. walk 100 ft, on the beach. shoot me a message if u like car pool.
                      @wolfey... im 190 on a 5'7 and like it. the Potatoes r perfect for any South Shore break. i wudnt mind A PN, but the BP is so versatile i dont think id use it often enuff. i might try and sneak a couple waves at Panics w it. u'll know its me when the bodysurfers r trying to pill my leash, but no can cus the BP is too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
                        @hawaii_boi... the BP can handle just bout anything. i park right at Threes. walk 100 ft, on the beach. shoot me a message if u like car pool.
                        @wolfey... im 190 on a 5'7 and like it. the Potatoes r perfect for any South Shore break. i wudnt mind A PN, but the BP is so versatile i dont think id use it often enuff. i might try and sneak a couple waves at Panics w it. u'll know its me when the bodysurfers r trying to pill my leash, but no can cus the BP is too fast.
                        Thanks for the feedback. Panics would be fun, when incinerators is working its one of my favs. I was looking at the PN but its too close to my elf and I really want a grovel/ cheater board

Comment

i see hawaii_boi surfing the SP a lot and having plenty fun, but i think he'd like a BP as well. this past big swell, i rode the BP and caught a lot of waves that others struggled with. if u catch the peak right, u shud b standing before the drop. after that, its all speed. i saw a guy on CL trying do sell a brand new 6'0 FST PN for 600. now the dilemma, how shud i explain that i shud get 2 boards 1-2 days apart?

Comment

I ordered a 5'7 bp tg, Im hoping it will arrive before the end of July. I was concerned that it would be too much float but felt up a 5'6 sp think it will be perfect for the south shore.

Comment

Hey guys! Really looking into getting a BP after having my alternator for a while now. Rode my friends Potatonator a couple days ago and I'm hooked on the smaller board and how much fun that thing is. I'm used to 36 liters in volume with the alternator being a 6'6". The same volume in the BP would be the 5'5", but I feel being 6'4" in height a bit bigger of a board will suit me better. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

• Phill
                                Phill commented
                                Editing a comment
                                You def want a little more volume in your spud that your Alternator. I'd ride a 6'0 Alternator and a 5'3 Baked. I think you'll be good on the 5'7
                            Working...
                            X