Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just pulled the trigger on a 5'7 TimerTek BP. Every fiber of my being was urging me to go 5'5 but I need this for the really crappy days we have here on the NE coast of the UK plus my local beach has really weak banks at the moment. I figure the extra width will help, just worried about it being too large to throw about. I'm hoping the lighter technology will make the 5'7 a little more versatile. It's on pre-order so I have the chance to change still, what do you guys think? I'm 20 years surfing, 6' and 85kg but wear thick wetties the year through. Cheers.

Comment

• Phill
      Phill commented
      Editing a comment
      Either way you're going to he having fun. 5'7 will have the advantage when it's gutless but the 5'5 will def be more performance when there's a bit more size or punch b

@MaxUK, it's great you got one! Hawaii is soooo back ordered!!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Reckon I'll probs stick with the 5'7 BP for the grovel factor. I did have a 5'4 SP and that flew but couldn't get it going in the really weak stuff.

Cheers HawaiiBoi, think I got lucky and ordered in time, my local shop (Secret Spot) been selling FW's for a long time so they are getting a few in, should be landing in a couple of weeks, yeew!!

Comment

Any idea on how long it would take to order a 5'7 BP into a North County SD shop?

Called all the retailers and no one has a 5'7 in rapid fire or TT

Comment

Depends on if they have to simply transfer a board from another shop (a few days) or order a board from Thailand (a few weeks). If you want the board sooner rather than later, I would suggest making the trek to either downtown SD or up to Huntington. Call first to see if shops north or south of you have your board in stock, and chances are one of them will. A 45min drive to get a board is worth it to me!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

MaxUK,
            Just got a timber 5'9" baked potato (probably could have gone smaller) and am riding on days that I stayed on land and wished I had a 10 footer. Yeah it is corky but I am catching waves well before other short boards and can give the loggers a run for their money but remember if you can't catch these little waves then you may as well stay on land. Floatation on small waves is great - mind you The thickness is a problem on bigger waves and that is where the Unibrow is a great option as waves increase in size and quality. I did have some problems finding my feet with fins so far back. It is great to be able to surf on tiny days on a short, responsive board!

Comment

I'm looking at the same issue: BP in 5'5 or 5'7 I'm 43 y.o., 180cm/5'11 80kg/175lb and currently ride a 6'2 Dominator (38 liters) for everything from knee to head high and a 6'2 Hellfire (33.7L) for the rare days with better waves. I want something fun for the really small days (Japan) and was thinking BP in techno grain. The volume calculator says I could use the BP in either 5'5(36L) or 5'7(39.9L) but I can't work out how they will relate to my other boards. Is volume the be all and end all? Or does the shape/width of the BP somehow make it take off better than a Dominator of slightly higher volume? I wonder if the 5'7 will be too floaty compared to my Dom. On the other hand, if the 5'5 with less volume was slower taking off than my Dom, it would defeat the purpose. Maybe I should just get the bigger BP as I'm getting older anyway.... my head hurts. If I can solve this piece of the puzzle the next bit will be relatively easy - tail pad on the TG or not? Haha.

Comment

daybit, if it helps any I'm 51 92kg and find the 5'7 perfect for me. I can easierly get into weak 1-2 ft and I wouldn't say I'm paddle fit as Im only getting to surf 1-2 times a week at the moment. I'd say go the 5'5

Comment

I'm closing in on 54 and 85kg and love 5'9" BP as it is a log beater and this will come in handy in summer. If I was 10 years younger I'd go 5'7". I ride 6'6" unibrow once it is 3 foot so I use the BP as a real groveller or small south swells at a well known point break in northern NSW. The 5'9" feels like a skateboard so I'm glad I went bigger than volume calculator indicated. I'd go with a volume a little more than regular board. At first on baked potato I was a complete kook - couldn't find sweet spot with feet., I don't know - flat rocker, fins right on rail line - but couldn't work the thing out but now it is very good. You get to surf waves that even mals struggle with and I would also say get the timber tek - they look so good and are very light.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm leaning towards getting the 5'7 as it has a bit more volume than my 6'2 Dominator. If it turns out to have too much volume it should be easy for me to even it out by just fattening up a bit. : ) I will definitely go for the TG. It looks too good to pass up.

Comment

Hi baked brothers!
                      I just bought a 5'5 Baked Potato Rapidfire white and it is the funnest thing i've ever ridden. Im 39 years old and 100kgs and this thing floats me pretty well (I normally ride a 6'3 JS or a 6'2 Dominator). It's super fast and loose but you definately have to work out which fins suit you best. I'm using it as a quad with PC7 fronts and M5 rears. After getting the fins dialled in I don't want to ride anything else, its like riding a skateboard on water. Wooo!

Comment

Welcome to the BP club Muz74! I'm sure you've heard tons of people on this forum say the BP is like a skateboard for water, so I'm stoked you are experiencing the magic for yourself.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

@MaxUK did your board arrive yet?, how you getting on with the 5' 7"?

Comment

Working...
                          X