Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NelsonGoldCoast, here is a short clip of how my 5'1" Baked Potato rides. I am 70-71kgs & 5'9".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-iz8mCgtsk&noredirect=1

Comment

Pmorgan did you get the 501 sorted with them? They told me it would be in sometime in July so it could be any day now. If you think it looks good in photos, wait till you see it in person! Prepare to be blown away! Surfed thurso in may this year btw, a sick wave!

Comment

• pmorgan
        pmorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I spoke to the board shop and am waiting for the board to arrive. Fingers crossed I was out on my PN today as a twin and I recon a 501 baked as a twin would be nuts.

hey megsy i saw this video already! slick riding man the board looks so fun i cant wait to get on a 501 i had heaps of fun on the 503 and i tihnk the 501 will just feel a bit better, the timber tek looks so cool too! might have to see if theyve got a 501 demo at currumbin firewire as it looks like the swells easing off over the next few days, my chubbt chedda has been keeping the froth alive for now tho!!!

Comment

Pmorgan, hope it comes soon! Thier last order came in a little early. It's gonna go nuts for sure.... Post pics up when you get it

Comment

• pmorgan
          pmorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          I got my new baked yesterday Matt it's sweet. Cheers for the heads up mate.

It's arrived and perfect size wise she is 501 and looks amazing. Had a quick session in tiny surf and the board goes sweet.

Comment

• Matt_s
          Matt_s commented
          Editing a comment
          Just seen this pic! Nice one pmorgan ! Hope you've been enjoying it over the summer, liking mine more after every surf, still wondering how that 5'1 would ride compared

• pmorgan
          pmorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Matt it's a real blast to ride. I never have a bad session on it. It's too much fun. Some of the local crew up here are hard core round tail or squash tail short boarders, aspairing to be like KS and gave me some stick over the funny shape. But in the fatter weaker stuff when they bogged on there bottom turn or cutback I was all loughs. I think one or two have been ordered as a result. The finish in the wood is amazing you can't feel a bit retro or some shit like that.
          Yea Fw produced a real winner here. the PN has been very lonely since the arrival of the BP. I kinda only ride my beloved mini driver,s and the BP.

Nice! Hopefully mine comes in soon, I'm potatoless currently.

Comment

Looks like a fun setup there pmorgan, enjoy!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Pmorgan, glad its worked out so well, its pretty much all I surfed all summer. It went well even when the waves turned steep down in france its got a fantastic range on it, I'v found it very versatile. Definitely feel it takes off easier and holds better in more powerful waves then my SP did, I loved that board but this one I love even more, I find myself doing things I didn't think I had the skill to do (and probably don't!). Great all rounder for an average surfer in average waves for sure! the tech is awesome, mine looks 100% brand new still, I think the wood effect, provided you don't get any bad dings will look good as new for a long time seeing as it cant yellow and it doesn't show up scratches and that. Gets a lot of attention at the beach

Comment

Matt, that sounds about as good an experience as you can have with a new board! I'm stoked for ya! Here on the Gold Coast we just enjoyed a little pulse of swell just after I got back from a snowboarding and exploring trip to NZ (during which it was flat ;) ). So enjoyed that on the chubby chedda... But now spring has well and truly sprung! 1-2fters is going to be the general theme for quite a while... I'm sure Megsy is reaching for his BP up on the sunny coast (if he hasn't had it out a load already)... An down here I'm reaching for the credit card... Gonna have to try and find a 501 I test drive, fingers crossed they've got one at currumbin. How are you feeling in regards to size with your 503? What fins are you running?

Comment

• Matt_s
                Matt_s commented
                Editing a comment
                Nelson,
                I think if you have the CC the BP is a way better choice for low end size/power than the Potatonator. I recon the CC and nator will have a lot of cross over. Pmorgan hasn't used is pn since getting his BP.
                I'm using c drives (ordered from aus) when waves are running above waist high but have enjoyed k2.1 sides and indo controller rears when small (waaaaay skatey so fun when real small or weak). I havnt experimented much really but those c drives tend to work as a quad whatever i put them in.
                5'3 size feels good to me, I'm curious about a 5'1 but I'm a few kilos heavier than you and surf with mega amounts of rubber in winter. If I ever get a chance to try a 5'1 maybe il downsize but I'm happy for now, it works well in small and big waves. I think the 5'1 would prob be best for you.
                I Defintely want a 5'4 vg, but think I'm waiting for something other than RF tech...... Tried the 5'6 and it felt to big, fun but a bit of a handful overall. New Zeland must have been fun! Desperate for waves or snow over here back in Europe!
                Last edited by Matt_s; 09-16-2013, 11:56 PM.

• Nelson GoldCoast
                Nelson GoldCoast commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeh mate that's pretty much what I was thinking... I have my chubby little friend as my go to for most conditions and with a fat little baked fella for the low end I will be sorted!

And I agree that there will be a fair bit of crossover with the PN whereas the BP should go about as grovelly as you can really get and also be quite a different ride...

FireWire at currumbin are trying to track down the 501 they leant out so hopefully it comes back and I can let you guys know how it goes...

Then the fin experimenting starts...!

I'm kinda thinking I'd eventually like to get a 504 (is this a good size for me at 5'7 70kg?! My CC is 509 27.5L) vanguard too... Purely because it is so different and growing up snowboarding loads I reckon the longer straighter effective rail feels a lot like that... I suppose it's another one to demo really!!!

Comment

Definitely demo it because it will surf very differently than your CC or VG. It will be super skatey and fun, but you'll need to adjust your surfing to accommodate for that wideness, rail line, and flat rocker. My dims are very similar to yours and I have a 504. That size fits me well but I feel like I could have even gone down to 502 (which I would probably do if I were to get it again). So see if you can demo those two sizes.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Cheers Josh!

Just to double check the first part of that comment is re 501 BP right and the rest is about 504 VG?

I was amazed when i demoed the 503 BP, it was so fun and different, very skatey! The rail hold and speed (and combination of both) is crazy i nearly got bucked off a few times doing tight little turns and then you pump a section and the thing nearly gets away from you. I am looking forward to the learning curve and pushing the limits!

No VG experience whatsoever but the froth alone has got me interested, the shape is crazy but it seems to work wonders iv seen a lot of guys enjoying them now on the gold coast... So BP for the summer then VG and il be set with a great little quiver i reckon!

Comment

One last thing.. you thi the VG would cover any top end my CC doesnt? Im pretty happy taking the CC out in most surf really but as its a 509 thik it suits mid range best and still has a bit of grovel in it so i guess what im asking is will i be reaching for the VG when it gets big and sucky? I suppose id be getting it as a stepup kinda but mostly because im intrigued, think itl broaden my surfing experience and it looks super fun.

Comment

Just read this conversation and must confess to having problems adjusting to a Baked Potato in 5'9". It has really thrown me and the board was going in the second hand rack until I adjusted my paddling. Prior to this change to a forward position with head up the board felt slow getting in to the wave and was stalling at take off. With more weight forward you slide into waves early and Nelson is correct very skatey but in control, fast across a section but maintains over dead water. I've ridden mals and many fishes but nothing that makes such small waves suit short board surfing.

Comment

Also should i be considering a potatonator? Or does the BP fit the gap better for the real low end beneath my CCs range?

Comment

Working...
                        X