Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 501 0r 503 Baked Potato

Im 70-71kgs 5'7...

I demoed a 503 (wanted to try a 501 but 503 was the smallest) and once id found the balance point for paddling i was getting into loads of small slightly mushy waves...

Had great fun, this board is SO FAST and it turns so tight its unreal the frist few fast turns nearly threw me off i wasnt expecting it to drive and whip round on rail so hard, what a buzz!

So im pretty sure im gonna get one as my small wave board 2-3ft and under to as small as possible hopefully! Il have a 509 chubby chedda for 2ft plus i suppose at 2ft itl be a toss up between the two decided by wave quality...

So i cant decide if the 503 is right or i should go 501... Any help? Hopefully i can demo a 501 some time and see for myself...

Surfed the 503 in my 2mm wetty but i suppose the baked would be for the summer mostly...

@Nelson, if you were doing good on the 5'3 in 1-2ft surf I don't think you need to go smaller. A little extra volume does not hurt. However, if you plan to surf better waves definitely go 5'1 since you only weigh 70-71kgs.

ALOHA!!

Comment

• hawaii_boi
      hawaii_boi commented
      Editing a comment
      idrew808, im 170-175lbs and i tried the 5'1 and 5'3. The 5'1 BP paddled well but i couldn't grovel as easily as with the 5'3. Also, on the low end of waves I needed a better quality wave in order to catch. However, when I rode waves waist high and up it was easier and I was throwing tail like crazy haha. As a daily groveler i would lean more towards the 5'3 but if i weighed 160 or under I would definitely get a 5'1.

If you are having trouble turning the board make sure that your footing is in the proper place and that you have the correct fins and/or size. I thought the BP turned better than the SP and held better in steep sections.

Maybe someone in this forum can chime in and share their experiences. Chris? FW Intern?

If you are still unsure, i would recommend trying someone's 5'1 or demo from STABL.

ALOHA!!

• idrew808
      idrew808 commented
      Editing a comment
      @hawaii_boi I am running FCS stretch quads right now. Think getting a 5'1 BP will be easier than a 5'3 getting into 3ft+ local scale waves? I was considering that I do love the grovel of the BP, but wish the 5'3 wasn't 21 1/4 wide. Wish it was more of 20..20.5. So now I'm considering a PN 5'6 being that its 30L, and can still grovel. 5'1 BP may be not enough L. Rather than coming from 32.4 to a 29. Your thoughts? PN at 5'6 vs 5'1 BP. For more all around and still grovel.

• hawaii_boi
      hawaii_boi commented
      Editing a comment
      idrew808 from my experience i thought the 5'3 was better all around. The 5'1 is definitely doable but you will need to paddle a little more. I guess all depends on your conditioning. a 5'6 PN is definitely another great option. I guess it all depends what you want to use it for. Knee high to chest is where the BP shines. The Pnator will do better from waist to head high.

My friend rides a 5'1BP and was catching 4ft at Diamond Head. personally, i would rather have a longer board if i'm catching waves bigger than 3 feet hawaiian. Taking drops with a very short board is a little sketchy especially when the wave is pitching fast haha.

if you feel it is too big for you, u probably can go down a size. when i tried both sizes, i felt the 5'3 was better for paddling and riding waves.

good luck man!

Thanks for the reply...

I had the 501 in mind originally. Then i went out on the 503 and first few attempts at paddling in i was thinking " i KNEW it these things are TOO SMALL" haha. anyway after a little positional rethink i got the thing paddling super nice and was getting into tons of tiny waves... But them that made me think why not the 501?!

I think maybe some time on my chubby chedda (27.5L) will help with the decision...

Also im hoping that firewire in currumbin have a 501 i can demo, ideally in timbertek!

Comment

I'm 5,9 and 70-72k average. Have a 5'2 (same vol pretty mich as 5'3bp)sweet potato for the past two years now, once you get used to the length you forget it's so short and it defintley feels kind of big/corkey, even when in 6mm &boots gloves etc, however I have been very happy with it overall, so much fun! . I'm so curious about downsizing to a 5'1 BP to really get the best out of this type of board iv put a deposit on one, although it won't arrive till July earliest (timbertek). My thoughts are that I think the 5'3 will work really well but I think the 5'1 might be the better size, I don't think I'd hesitate if I surfed in 2mm/boardshorts on the Gold Coast on the 5'1. Think I'm going to wish for the 5'3 sometimes in dead of winter but il be super happy in Hossegor in August! (If it arrives by then!). Worse case scenario il sell on the 5'1 and lose a little bit of cash. However I think the 5'1 is going to be the one

Comment

Yeah i always have this little thought in my head that i should keep the volume up for if i go back to the uk... stupid really as id more likely sell the boards...

Im just gonna have to try out a 501 i think! But i really dont want to sacrifice wave catching as this will be my small wave board... 0-2ft and hopefully something i can take out and have fun on in the tiniest conditions...

Im feeling brave about downsizing though after going from 31 to 27.5L and not feeling much loss in wave catching ability between spit and CC...

Shame firewire in currumbin arent open weekends!!!!

Comment

Can anyone on the wave ctahing ability of a 508 spifire 31L vs a 501 baked 29.3? This would really help my decision... Also a 503 baked 32.4...

Comment

I surf a Dom and ef in the 28l range all over the uk in maximum rubber and I don't really find it hard even when relativly unfit, it's certainly not too little volume even in all the rubber. I think if you work in the lower vol boards overseas and return to the uk they will still work well and it won't be an issue. One thing I find a little easier when going with less vol is they move a little faster under your feet which makes it a bit easier to generate speed then when maxing out on volume . My opinion is i recon 29L is still a fair bit of vol at 70kg. plus even in the uk it's more if a summer board so should be used with thinner wetsuits most of the time. Either way 5'1 or 5'3 will work.

Comment

What kind of volume do you ride for more perfomancy short boards? I felt like around 27L was perfect with the chubby chedda for me but maybe a bit less for a true step up... Im gonna have to try the 501 i totally agree about getting a better pump out of a smaller more movey board! I feel like this essentially comes from being able to get the rails in more rather than the entire bpard sitting on top of the water if that makes sense?!

Comment

I don't have a proper performance shortboard, the ones in the past iv had didn't have vol listed but I'd estimate they were 28. Something. I think my el fuego at 28.6 is my most high perf board, i know i could surf less probably something in the 27l range but it feels about right, I am really looking to try goin down a bit in volume from this in future and see what happens. I'm currently considering a 5'9 CC, a 5'6 or 5'4 VG or a 5'10 v4, probably get a tomo of some sort based on rave reviews even though the cc just looks like the one. Looking ideally for a two board quiver of the BP and that something else. Till I get it sorted the el fuego and 5'6 Dom do a good enough job for the kinds I waves I surf. I'm really just trying I focus on dialing in the right size BP. My experience with the 5'2 SP (32.2l)has been really positive its fast stable and fun but whenever I'm on it I just can't help thinking I might prefer something smaller, I'm 100% sure it's on the maximum end of the spectrum, that and megsys raving review of the 5'1 BP which he compared to the 5'2 sp have me 80% sure I want the 5'1. I still do have that doubt though and can't help wondering I should change my order to a 5'3. If you do manage to demo a 5'1 I'd be interested to hear your thoughts seeing as mine won't turn up till the middle of the summer I have time to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson GoldCoast View Post
                  Can anyone on the wave ctahing ability of a 508 spifire 31L vs a 501 baked 29.3? This would really help my decision... Also a 503 baked 32.4...
                  @Nelson, I'm 5'8 and 77-79kgs. I have a 5'8 Spit and I tried a 5'1 Baked. The 5'8 Spit catches a little better than the 5'1 Baked only because it's 7 inches longer and almost 2L more but not by much BUT at your weight the 5'1 Baked should more than enough. Also, the Baked is designed for groveling. Hope that helps.

ALOHA!!
                  Last edited by hawaii_boi; 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks hawaii!

Very helpful! I have a feeling the 501 is the way to go really. It may take a bit of getting used to but in the long run will be so so fun i reckon, and the 503 did still sit right on top of the water... Basically what i was trying to work out is will the design make up for the 1-2L less volume but i think you have answered this! aloha bro!

Comment

@Nelson, you should be killing waves in no time! don't forget to post pics!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Bottled the 501 and got the 503 :) weighed myself at the doctors and it came in at around 74kg (think my home scales were under estimating my 72kg), with average 4-6mm wetsuits In uk I just thought I'd play it safe vol wise, good news is they had the 503 timbertek in shop and its been deliverd and sitting waiting for me at my in laws, picking it up this weekend. Stoked and I havnt even seen it yet!

Comment

• Phill
                          Phill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Where did you order it from Matt? I was eyeing the 5'3 in DTL and it was stunning.

Yeh matt you must be frothin! I still cant get my mind off getting hold of a timbertek baked potato.... Have been surifng my chedda tho and it goes great in 2ft and above, winter is here on the goldy and consistent surf conditions have set in :) 27L feels fine for me though even in a 2/3 steamer (although i suppose thats not that much extra weight)... Im just shy of 70kgs at the moment... I compete in brazillian jiu jitsu and i have a comp on sunday, was gonna try and cut down to 68kg so i could be at the top of featherweight instead of bottom of lightweight but i dont tihnk im gonna make it! Hopefully get down to around that weight constatly in the future for jiu jitsu comps and then il have no worries on the 501!!! Let us know how it goes whaen you get it in the water!!!

Comment

Congrats Matt! Bet you can't wait, where abouts in the UK are you? I'm heading down to Woolacombe in a couple of weeks, hoping to demo a BP at the local shop.

Comment

Working...
                          X