Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size baked potato?

Hi,

I currently ride a Dominator 6'4". In smaller waves, I can catch them, but it's tough and I tend to get into them late. I'd like to get a baked potato, sweet potato or potatonator, but want to make sure it has enough extra volume for me. The Dom I have has 41.5 volume. How much more should I add for those small wave days?

I ride my Potato 6" smaller than I'd ride a Dominator. You might want to go 4" smaller if you want that extra foam.

Comment

That would put me at 47.5 volume, is that a big difference?

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah that's about 15% increase.
        I think there's about 10% difference between my Potato and my HPSB.

esteeb, I hear you on the "too floaty", I've experience that too. Thanks for the input, it all is helpful. esteeb, what is your goto board and volume?

Comment

@esteeb, awesome! just make sure you pair the board with a good fin set and you will never stop surfing it! haha! My favorite setup is Jordy Large front with QD400 composite rear. With your weight, you could probably go with a larger rear like SA or AM2 rear.

ALOHA!!

Comment

i ride a 5'7 w Pancho fronts and stretch rears. absolutely the fastest board i have. too fast, might run bigger rears to slow it down when its overhead. if i had a fifth box i'd try the AMT's. the AMT's r excellent fins. i dont want to ride anything else, so unless i buy a new BP, stuck w the quads which is cool tho w the fat tail.

Comment

I borrowed a 6' Sweet Potato from Clairemont surf shop and took it out yesterday. I forgot my leash though, so I really couldn't test it very thoroughly, BUT even without the leash it was amazing. This size has about 51 liters of volume and I know that's a ton, but I'm 182 lbs and it worked really well for me. I was able to get up and have some fun little rides in some really pathetic waves. If I end up buying I'll probably go just a tad less, like 47, but I'll know more after this weekend. I'll probably go with the Baked not the Sweet though since it looks like Baked my be geared a little more toward performance.

Comment

@garek007, if you are 182lbs and a beginner, a 5'6 Sweet would be perfect. if you are Intermediate a 5'4 would be the way to go.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Maybe not the. Best of boards for beginners, if that is the case the DOMINATOR will be a moreuser friendly board

Comment

I am currently riding a 6ft 4 Potatonator and a 6ft Sweet Potato. The SP flies but for some reason feels wierd going backhand. Not sure why but I reckon it may be too much volume. Anyway I am contemplating getting a 5ft 11 BP. It has less volume then my SP and more or less the same as my PN. Do you think 5tf 11 will be too short for my 6ft 4 230lbs frame. It will only be an inch shorter then my 6.0 SP though! What do you seasoned pros reckon. :)
                  Last edited by Cisurfer; 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My sweet potato is 10" shorter than my height. I think you'd be ok on a 5'11".

Thought I would just post an update.

I picked up a white rapid fire 5ft 11. This is the shortest board I have EVER owned. Even when I was a grom (30 years ago) I rode boards 6ft +. I was very nervous about going sooo short but after reading the comments on here and riding a 6ft Sweet Potato I took a chance on the 5ft 11. I was gagging to get it wet and got a chance on one very very marginal day. Sets were no bigger then waist to waist and a bit high and really sloppy. Even in these conditions I was catching waves alongside the longboarders. But as soon as I made the drop the board felt really positive and very very fast. One of the problems I have had with my Sweet Potato was that it always felt awkward going backhand. I always blamed it on too much volume and not able to get the rail in this new board seems to prove that theory. The BP rips. I really cant wait to get it in better conditions. Bring on the Hurricanes. Cheers for guidance guys
                  Last edited by Cisurfer; 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM. Reason: I have the board finned up with Kinetic Racing fins X2 fins in the front and Rusty QR's in the back. when bigger may Nub it!

Comment

Glad to hear that you're stoked on you SP!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Hi, I have the same question in that I'm not sure what size BP to choose. I now live in far north QLD and the reef blocks out most of the swell. We surf out there a bit but mostly a fun little point on the coast here that is great on a longboard during the dry season. It's all wind swell, weak and small although I've had days out there on my 5'8 spitfire and its been unreal. These days are rare though and as much as the longboard is fun out there I'd like to try a BP or SP out there. 66kg, intermediate, surfing for 25 years, bad back which is why I ride 5'8 Spitfire 31L as my standard shortboard. (Hellfire would be optimal) I was thinking of going around a 5'9 which I know has a lot if volume but its a pretty weak wave at longboard size. Here's a clip of the average type of longboard waves we get here. If you can be bothered to watch and give some advice it would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comment

I think 5.9 will be alot of foam at 13 litres more than your spitfire. With Potato family you can catch these waves almost as a longboard and ride with more speed and maneuverability but with 5.9 i think you overcome these advantages.Use 5.6 SP and sold it to downsize and i am 180 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                        X