Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide

He guys

Currently riding a 508 Potatonator and love it. Average 70-73 kg. Beginner-intermediate

Mostly surfing mushy onshore waves and was thinking why not add another board in the potatofamily for those smaller days.

Should i be looking at a Sweet or baked? And the question that always comes. What size? im thinking 505 but then im adding volume 503 the go? And how would lets say my pnator 508 be compared paddlewise etc to a 503 baked.

Thanks in advance

Iv got an extra 5 kilos on you atleast and went with the 505BP but kinda wish i went 503 so i definitely think you should go for the smaller of the two. However, i dont know if there would be any great reason or benefit in having both boards in your quiver. The extra length and volume of your 508PN will mean it paddles better than a 503BP and must be great fun for those small days as it is. Do you have any other boards currently? You might be better off getting something like a 511 Unibrow to expand your quiver for those better days.
    Will

Comment

Thanks for your input, its my only board. I was thinking of getting another board for travels like a uni or a chubby. or even a razor. The pnator is great fun but after reading alot here i think a bp or a sweet is possibly better for the kind of waves i get at home. But yea mabye i should just stick with what i got =)

Comment

Howcdo you feel on your current 5'8"??. Any problems popping up or catching waves?

Comment

Hey Iggy. No problems on the popup. The wave catching is alright, got some timing issues but thats just me being a rookie. If the waves got some punch i tend to always go with the wave but on smaller days with weaker waves i really need to be positioned perfect if you know what i mean. Heres where i thought another potato would come in handy. What you think?

Comment

I find that the Potato, in a smaller size at least, doesn't really get into waves early that well. it just takes off like a rocket the second the wave picks you up. You still need to be positioned in the right spot to get into most waves.

Comment

@Hyper, get a potato for the low end of waves. Sweet is good but since Baked is the latest model and comes with 5 fins u might as well get that unless u can get a Sweet for a really good deal.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phill View Post
                I find that the Potato, in a smaller size at least, doesn't really get into waves early that well. it just takes off like a rocket the second the wave picks you up. You still need to be positioned in the right spot to get into most waves.
                Agree 100% but i hear for some guys here that BP paddle and catch wave easier and is more performance for sure.

Comment

Alright cheers guys. But what size on the baked then? Go 5,5 BP 2L more then my pnator or go down to a 5,3?

Comment

Get the 5'5". I think anything bigger will feel bulky. At first, I caught more waves on my 5'7" and was regretting selling it to downsize for a 5'5". But I have since adjusted and am soo happy I kept with the 5'5" as the 5'7" felt... well... HUGE.

I really think the cut off is 5'5" no matter the size of skill. Its still small enough to bury the rail and jam but big enough to catch slop.

If you go smaller, well it may not catch slop as well. I did fine on my SP@5'2" but a slop catcher it was not. And after all isn;t that what you are going after?

Plus the 5'5" will go nuts in big surf. I have ZERO issue in larger surf as well, like 8-10' faces.

Comment

Get the 5'5", it will help you on the smaller days. It will be a dhallenge at the beginning but you'll get it fairly easy

Comment

Working...
                      X