X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Potato 5'3 or 5'5

Hey guys i know there are a lot of these topics but I'm at a loss never having ridden or owned a Firewire. I want to Baked Potato as a groveler/ all around board for the crap waves we get in Eastern Florida. So I'm thinking i should get a 5'3 but the rep in our area reccomended a 5'5. I am 5'10, and 170 pounds. But then a guy bigger than me was suggested the 5'3.
    I've picked up both a 5'3 and 5'5 and the 5'5 feels like a boat at a whopping 36 liters of volume. I'm worried about how well it will turn because I want to be able to do airs and blow the tail out with the board but still catch and ride anything and not have it feel clunky. Like I have a poly fish that's 5'6 and not as wide or thick that can feel this way. As for material that doesn't really matter to me TT or RF both look really cool.
    Thanks for the help.

5'3 for sure. If it felt right under your arm you should always trust your instincts!

Comment

Yeah 5'3" looks good to me too

Comment

I am 160-165 lbs and I have a 5'3" Baked Potato (Timbertek) and its great for small mushy waves. But for high performance surfing like airs and blowing the tail, I think you would be better off with another model (e.g. Unibrow). The width, rail thickness and flat rocker of the BP inherently limit its high performance surfing potential. Generally, the BP does is not ideal for vertical maneuvers. This is likely why you won't see Michelle Bourez or Timmy Reyes surfing a BP in a contest anytime soon where there are crappy waves (e.g. US Open at Huntington Beach).

Comment

160-165 5'3 timbertek still a boat but a fun boat.... Go 5'3 .... 5'5 would be a mistake. Timbertek is unbelivable by the way, two surfs in not a mark so much more light and responsive than my 5'2 fst sp, very happy with it

Comment

kylel definitely 5'3 for more performance however a 5'5 will let you paddle battle with the longboarders and sweepers! haha!

ALOHA!!

Comment

I agree with the 503 BP, but if you want a little more performance out of your potato, you might also consider a 504 Potatonator.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Thanks Guys Definitely going with the 5'3.

Comment

Working...
                X