X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Potato Fin Setups

Just wondering what Quad fin setups have been tried in the TT Baked Potato.

I have thought about controllers but I am probably to light for them at 68kgs in my TT 5'3 BP.

There is a new version of the Quad Controllers called Lost Seaworthy Controller Quad some info below that i am thinking will probably do the trick.

Has anyone tried these in a BP yet?
    *NEW Future Fins LOST Seaworthy Controller Quad
    The Future Fins LOST Seaworthy Controller Quad is still ideal for performance retro quads, or any wide tail fish quads, with similar Vector 2 low aspect front fins and high aspect Futures rear fins that allow the LOST Seaworthy Controller Quad to deliver the perfect balance for a lighter surfer. The NEW Future Fins LOST Seaworthy Controller Quad IS different, with a more raked rear fin, a SLIGHTLY smaller template, a hex core construction and an updated ascetic. If your a smaller surfer go with the LOST Seaworthy Controller, mainly because the material has a bit more flex, if you're a larger surfer or have a heavy back foor go with the original Controller Quad in Glass Smoke.

Future Fins LOST Seaworthy Controller Quad Fin Size:
    Height: 4.50 in. 11.40 cm.
    Base: 5.13 in. 13.03 cm.
    Area: 18.19 in. 117.33 cm.

Future Fins LOST Seaworthy Controller Quad Rear Fins:
    Height: 4.43 in. 11.25 cm.
    Base: 3.89 in. 9.88 cm.
    Area: 10.95 in. 70.63 cm.
    Last edited by Fazza; 08-11-2013, 03:59 AM.

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet.

Comment

Seaworthys still sound like a lot of fin to me. I'd just go with your standard thruster fronts with slightly smaller quad rears. Familiar feel and performance vs more skatey, fish feel and (for me) hit and miss performance. I always found I could go really fast with the controllers but never once felt like I pulled a decent turn with them.

Comment

• fokaiHI
        fokaiHI commented
        Editing a comment
        Phill is on the money. lrg fronts for drive and small rears for pivot. i got Panchos w Stretch rears. i think i'll sample a set of Halos for the rears

Elevons are super fast, loose, and fun too. A bit pricey but worth it.

Comment

Fazza I have the seaworthy fins and it's pretty good but like everyone else is saying...they are skatey. If you want to surf progressively go with a standard Thruster front and small rears. My friend is rocking SA front w/ mulcoy rear on his 5'1 BP and weighs the same as you...he loves it; hacks waves for days. I'm rockin Jordy L front with QD400 natural composite rear on my 5'2 SP and weigh 170-75 lbs....can't be more happier.

ALOHA!!
        Last edited by hawaii_boi; 08-12-2013, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Anyone tried the D Rastovich future quad in a TT BP? They would look very nice but dunno how they ride... Everyone whos put the elvons in seems pretty damn stoked on those!
          Last edited by Nelson GoldCoast; 08-11-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
            Fazza I have the seaworthy fins and it's pretty good but like everyone else is saying...they are skatey. If you want to surf progressively go with a standard Thruster front and small rears. My friend is rocking SA front w/ mulcoy rear on his 5'1 BP and weighs the same as you...he loves it; hacks waves for days. I'm rockin Jordy L front with QD400 natural composite rear on my 5'2 SP and weigh 170-75 lbs....can't be more happier.

ALOHA!!
            Got some Rasta Quads to try for next surf and have a set of Simon Anderson quads which are too big for me but will try the rears with my normal thruster fins. Going to borrow a mates Shapers AP02 Quads as well which are a more upright fin.

Comment

Fazza i always thought the rasta fins were too small for the potato line. Let us know how it goes!

ALOHA!!

Comment

That is what i was thinking. I have tried them in another board and they felt horrible. The BP fin are right on the rail so hopefully they will hold a lot better than the last board i tried them in.

Comment

Love to hear how these different fins go mate, have fun! Yeah rasta fins do look a little small... The V2 foil may help a little tho... iv never tried them...

Comment

My rastas go great with the Potato lineup. You get that skatey feel for sure, so you just have to adjust your surfing for that. You won't be doing hard bottom turns with the rasta quads, but you will generate a ton of speed to eye up those air sections and do big smooth cutbacks.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• Nelson GoldCoast
                      Nelson GoldCoast commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thats cool to hear josh i think you enjoy the same kinda surfing as me but just rip better! Im seriously thinking about a BP or PN for the summer... Rastas and some knubster experiments i reckon!

Fazza maybe a knubster might help with the bottom turns. btw, what kind of waves are you riding? my only baseline is hawaiian waves. i'm curious how these boards and fins do in Cali or East coast or anywhere for that matter.

ALOHA!!

Comment

i picked up the MB 5 fin last week thinking we were getting waves, wrong!!! fricken flat. cant wait to try them

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                        Fazza maybe a knubster might help with the bottom turns. btw, what kind of waves are you riding? my only baseline is hawaiian waves. i'm curious how these boards and fins do in Cali or East coast or anywhere for that matter.

ALOHA!!
                        I'm in South West WA.........surfed the BP on Thursday on a small little beachie it was hip slightly above hip high on a nice sand bank. Used the Shapers AP02 fins, felt good, loose, pivot.....wave was marginal wave size but gave me an idea of how small you can go, wasn't as much fun as my first surf on it which was shoulder to head high.

more testing needed.

Comment

Hey Fazza, have you had a potatonator as well? Wondering how you would compare it to the BP. Is there a lot of overlap or are they different enough to have both in the shed. Have you had the BP out at Redgate ?

Comment

Working...
                          X