X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigblackdog View Post
    Hey Fazza, have you had a potatonator as well? Wondering how you would compare it to the BP. Is there a lot of overlap or are they different enough to have both in the shed. Have you had the BP out at Redgate ?
    No sorry haven't taken it out there yet. Surfed it yesturday afternoon with Shapers AM02 Quads fins....loved it.

Comment

Has anyone Tried the AM-2 Techflex Quad set? That's what I'm considering. Rode my 5'3 couple times now with Tp-1 fronts and Lost composite Rears and it works great,the thing flies! (literaly) but could definitely use a little more hold . Plus matching fins would be nice. I have 1 green 1 blue up front and 2 white in the back.
      Oh and I've found that bottom turns you just really need to draw out but you can go vertical pretty easy
      Last edited by kylel; 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

This felt good FCS K3 thruster fronts and SA1 quad rears, I'm no expert but it felt quick and loose in shoulder high clean waves. Really nice

Comment

I'm liking the experimentation nottyR6. Glad to hear its working for you!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

just picked up my new 5'7..... R U BP READY??? whoa.... pics came out life-size
            Attachment
            Attachment
            Attachment

Comment

Stoked! I know Megsy was running his as a thruster. Has anyone else had any success with the thruster setup? I just can imagine it beating the quad...

Comment

I've been using PC7 fronts with M5 rears in my 5'5 BP RF and found that set up fast and drivey but still REALLY loose. I'm 100kgs so I do need a bigger fin set up than a smaller guy but you could transfer the ratio to smaller fins. Tried it with SF4's and it wasnt as good and it wasn't as fast as a thruster. Also tried it as a quin (big fronts, small side bites, mrtx rear) but the waves were rubbish so couldnt really tell. Have a play with every type of set up in different waves and you'll soon find what you like.

Comment

Just sold a board to secure another baked 5'11" technograin with fcs plugs. I'll run mine with True Ames CI twin fronts and Indo controller rears in the small stuff. This is the fcs tabbed fins equivalent of the Futures shod Baked I used to have which I ran the AMT CI twin fronts with controller rears in. With the full controller set the board felt great but with the more upright AMT CI front fins in (like an MR template with less tip area and rake) the baked would go vertical easier and was looser off the top. Changed it from a somewhat retro feel to a more progressive feel. When surfing larger waves I'd just change the rears to a template with normal rake compared to the controller rears and gain hold in the tail. This is for a big guy of course. An interesting thing to try is running it with a favourite thruster set but putting in a knubster in the rear quad plugs (so 2 knubsters - one each side).

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have you tried the double nubster setup Pete? How did it feel? I've been thinking about trying that in mine but don't really want to drop another 16 on a little nubster to find it doesn't work too well...

Hi Phil, Not yet. The Baked is still at the shop. Haven't collected it yet as I'm waiting for the Versa traction to arrive from Sydney. Versa traction is an opaque full deck traction system that is clear when wet. No more wax. I have used it on my full carbon fibre boards in the past. Perfect for technograin. I'm a leadfoot and I reckon it also reduces heel denting too. I'll grab another knubster in the next day or two as already have one in another board.

Comment

ive tried controllers, stretch quad and Mccallum quad in my 5'7 BP. http://captainfin.com/collections/fi...-gold-quad-517

The stretch felt too small and I would slide out on the bottom turn. Controllers were pretty good, but so far the Mccallum quad feels like a good balance between the two

Comment

Originally posted by Phill View Post
                      Seaworthys still sound like a lot of fin to me. I'd just go with your standard thruster fronts with slightly smaller quad rears. Familiar feel and performance vs more skatey, fish feel and (for me) hit and miss performance. I always found I could go really fast with the controllers but never once felt like I pulled a decent turn with them.
                      Hey phill im just a few lbs less than fazza at 142lbs. You mentioned the lost fins are still too much fin, and to go with a standard one, what are you considering the standard fins?. My 1st bp I got was too big for me but they gave me the future Q1's. Ive never been one to play with fins, just rode what it came with. But this is my 1st quad. Just tryingto figure out a good set up that would let me move up and down the face of the wave and still get vertical to get some fun little snaps on the smaller days.

Comment

Am I the only one who prefers running the BP with thrusters instead of quads? I'm on my trusty K 2.1 and I feel the board is so much more predictable and maneuverable. On quads I just dont get that pivoty feel and sometimes it really jams me up to turn.

Comment

• Phill
                          Phill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What kind of waves are you surfing. I can imagine it being fun on a slow pockety point, but for beach breaks do you get enough drive as a thruster?
                          I've been tempted to try the thruster but scared to write off a session.

yeah you are right Phill, slow pockety point breaks is where Im surfing mostly... i dont enjoy the BP so much on beachies

Comment

I haven't ridden the BP as a thruster, but I'll definitely throw in a thruster set of Blackstix on my PN and that goes great. It's fun to switch it off and do more "shortboardy" turns with a thruster set that you can't really do with a quad.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

they look sick what fns are they!?

Comment

Working...
                            X