Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size of Baked Potato for a 36 years old?

Hi! I'm 5'9", 155lb, 36 years and been surfing sporadically for 22 years. Mi current board is a 6'2", 19 1/2", 2 3/8" but with the years is getting harder to catch the waves with it. I want to progress with my surfing but with that board I'm going nowhere. Where I surf the waves are predominantly beach break and small mushy full.
    What you recommend for surfing small waves: the potatonator or the baked potato? And what size of board for my condition?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Polbo I am 5"7 and 150 lbs 39 years old I ride a 501 baked with a full 5mm wetsuit and it's find paddles well and catches waves easily. You might want a 503 but not any bigger as they pack a lot of foam. Mine is a timber tech and looks so cool. If Fw made a Minidriver in TT I would have one for sure.

Comment

You love your mini driver hey pmorgan! Hijack thread, but would the MD perform in punchy waist high waves? I'm getting a 2 board quiver of a V2/potatonator and a MD. but I've got a 6 month gap to wait till the 2nd board.

Comment

• pmorgan
        pmorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I would say yes as long as the wave has some grunt to it. The board will fly. Some say its more a down the line board but I find I can put my 508 anywhere on the wave. I always try to stay as close to the pocket as possible and the board is super snappy. My 510 was a very different story it liked to go down the line fast. I think you need to go as short as possible and a touch less on the vol side. I was going to sell on the 510 but it's a great further step up. My current quiver is a baked tatty,subscorcher and a two minidrivers. It got me well covered.

Hi Polbo I am 5"7 and 150 lbs 39 years old I ride a 501 baked with a full 5mm wetsuit and it's find paddles well and catches waves easily. You might want a 503 but not any bigger as they pack a lot of foam. Mine is a timber tech and looks so cool. If Fw made a Minidriver in TT I would have one for sure.

Comment

Polbo.......i'm 48 years old, 68kgs (150lbs), 5"8 and have a TT 503 Backed Potato. I find it easy to paddle, gets into waves early and as PMorgan said they do pack a lot of foam so agree no more than 503

Comment

Thank you guys for your reply! Im wandering if the Baked Potato will do fine for head high waves or for that the Potatonator is better.I ask because I'm from Argentina and don't have the opportunity to buy both.

Comment

I also have a PN but not ridden her much since I got baked. I have had the baked out in overhead peeling waves not pitching or barreling but walls. It went great. It did get a bit twitchy at the higher speeds but it was manageable. It has a better low end than the PN tho and that's why I bought it. Sizing for you in a PN no bigger than a 508. Both are great boards you can't go wrong eather way.

Comment

If you're deciding between the BP and PN for head high waves then go for the PN. The nose and tail are pulled in a tad on the PN so it will be better than the BP in that kind of surf. Do note, however, that both of those boards are designed to function in 1-3ft waves. Head-high waves is definitely pushing it for the potato series...

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

polbo 5'1 BP but if you aren't a strong paddler a 5'3 would be great too. The BP is great for knee to chest high but once in a while it's fun to be racing down a wave bigger than head high and holding on for dear life haha j/k.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                X