X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the right fcs fins for a 5'9 BP

Just ordered a 5'9 bp and got it in fcs as all my boards are that set up. However ive now been told the best fin for this board is the futures controller fins. Is there an fcs equivalent to these...any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive done alota research and havnt had much success. Any help from people out there with this size bp with fcs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150737209156

As an intermediate I find them great, lots of drive while still manouverable.
    (Controller Quad Style) New FCS Compatible Fibreglass Surf Fins from Indo Fins! in Sporting Goods, Surfing, Accessories | eBay
    Last edited by nottyR6; 10-07-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Find yourself a set of two tab keels fins and then you can run a set of gxq in the rear quad plugs. Or a knubster in the thruster plugs. Just tried a set of two tab keel fins in the front plugs with a set of M7's I've cut down to make a set of mini-keels that worked great in small, sloppy surf today. Don't be afraid to mix and match fins, and weird placements because the mini-simmons dna of the baked with its wide tail means you can get away with a lot that flat out wouldn't work on a std hpsb (high performance shortboard). Just google mini-simmons quad and look at the images that come up. You'll see many and varied fin combos and plug placements in the images.

Comment

• logez.nz
        logez.nz commented
        Editing a comment
        Was looking at the dvs keel kins by shapers.. they look like the could be the go..will try them with a nubster and hav a play around

I agree with nottyR6. I don't know as much about FCS as I do about Futures, but from being on the forum, people like the controllers with their potatoes.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• logez.nz
        logez.nz commented
        Editing a comment
        Have heard mixed reviews about the indo fins. No one stocks them in NZ. Dont want to spend money on sumthing I cant pick up and look at. Opinion on dvs keel fins by shapers ?

• Josh BL
        Josh BL commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't know about the DVS fins, but this is the thread that cuttlefish is referring to for peoples' FCS quad setups on their potatoes:
        http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...-show-you-mine

• logez.nz
        logez.nz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah thanks had a look over that and its given me alot of good ideas

Go to the timber tek part of the forum and check out the baked potato fin thread.

Comment

One thing I've noticed about spuds of baked and sweet variety is they especially work well when using a lot of fin area for drive when its small waves for me. The caveat is that the surfer must determine themselves their optimum fin sizes for their weight, ability and the kind of waves they are surfing. Once the waves have more size and power I can still ride a spud and have a lot of fun on it. Just a matter of reducing the fin sizes as don't need the drive as much so then its about controlling the speed with a template that suits the wave shape, size and power. I like the Stretch quads on the sweet potato for example when its 3-5' but find they lack the drive and speed out of the gate for small, gutless waves. Love the CI twin (true ames) as fronts and controller or m3 rears in the baked in 3-5' point waves.

Comment

• logez.nz
          logez.nz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your input mate, youv been alot of help. Just need to wait four more day for my bp to arive then I can have a play and find the best fins...will post the best set up after testing

Dvs keels with a nubster are the magic beans... They are great in 2ft onshore mush..but they really came alive yesterday in 4 ft solid sucky waves...lose in the pocket and with loads of drive but also held in well on bottom turns..... dont qant to use my standard short board anymore... my favourite board of all time

Comment

Working...
        X