X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which BP might be the choice?

Hello Im Maik from Germany, I would like to go for a firewire baked potato. maybe some of you have the time to help me:
    Im 6,4 tall and weight 90 Kilos. im surfing for 16 years now. every year im going for holidays to surf my ass of. but thats just 3-5 weeks a year. right now im surfing in headhigh waves and + my channel island rookie 6,4 (29liters). in all other smaller conditions i ride my longboard 9,4. also i tried the bufo boogiefish 5,9 (35 liters) was fun but not the grouvler i search for.
    with the BP i like to surf knee high to shoulder high waves with less power.
    now to my questions: with size would you prefer in my position? right now i tend to 5,9. or should i go for the 5,7? I dont think larger or smaller than that.
    And which firewire board technology is good. i like the timbertrek. or would you go for rapidfire.

Thanks so far and cheers, Maik.

5'7 Timber Tek is what your after, 5'9 will be too big for you.

Comment

Miak wie gehts! Timber Tek is very strong and is good for a small wave groveler like the BP. My personal BP is Rapidfire and I love that too. Are you looking to get an FCS or Futures setup?

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

@ Powman: thx. @ Josh: es geht ganz gut und dir? ;-)
        all my boards are fcs. but i think i go for futures and their controllers. what size should i buy? isnt 5,7 not too short for my size thx so far and cheers.
        Last edited by maikg; 10-15-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Toll! Mir gehts immer gut haha.
          If all your boards are FCS I might recommend you stay with FCS. Once you start going down one path with fins, if you stick on that path, you will be able to use different fins on different boards/ for different days. If you are convinced you want to go the Futures route, then I would stay consistent with Futures so that you eventually have different fin options given the wave conditions.

In regard to size, what is your skill level? Also, have you played with the volume calculator? http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...olume_calc.php

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

hey josh! Sag mir woran es liegt das es dir immer gut geht....das selbe moechte ich dann auch gern ;-)
            thx so far. maybe i should follow my fcs way. true.
            Yes i played with the calculator. but its different. i cant tell you im fitness average or exellent. maybe between. im 35 years and 90 Kilos. my skill may be intermediate or Inter/Adv. but i think more inter/adv.
            i surfed waves till 9ft in all kind of conditions. love to surf pointbreaks and reefs, but most of the time beachbreaks. i can go left or right clean. doing late drops, floater, walk to the nose, cutbacks and buttom and topturns. but im not the hacker in waves. im more the wavecounter and smooth clean surfer with some turns and solid lines. so i think im maybe inter/adv. but there are a lot of distance between my surfing days and weeks. so that it always needs time to be in shape (body and quickness in surf). what i know: only 5,7 and 5,9 can be the one for me. with the 5,7 i am afraid it will be to short. so that my backfoot will always step behind the board. might be a challenge. but i do not know. with the 5,9 i am afraid that the board will not turn when its getting fast down the line. so thats my little problem. small but very important. cause you wont spend so much money all the time.

my opinion is to go 5,9 cause i will mostly surf mushy and small waves here near to the netherlands. when its getting small in france or so i can run the board also. and wenn it gets shoulder high and clean i love to ride my CI Rookie.

does that sound weird? please tell me what you think and what your experiences with the BP are.
            thx and best regards, maik
            Last edited by maikg; 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I'm not a good paddler but find at 82kg+/6'2ft the 5'7 BP can catch waves very close to longboards. Feels pretty corky but in 0-2ft waves I don't mind.

Don't think foot placement will be any issue for your as this is something you get used to after 3 waves. Would be more concerned about getting the right volume for really small waves.

Comment

And here we are for the last time. This week i will buy my BP TT. But one thing makes me CRAZY!!!!! 509 or 507..... i cant decide. for me 507 seems so short. so here my details:
                im a german surfer, 64 (194cm) 88kg and 35 years old. surfing for 16years, surfing in europe, 904 longboard and 604 CI the rookie (30liters), skills: between intermediate and advance, Fitness average. most of the time cold water and mushy, like to duck dive. but this board should be my board ro reach the 40 years and more and still surfing this one.....PLZ help me....Cheers to you all out there and thx so far.

Comment

hey Maikg - I am 92kg and 6'3 and ride a 5'7 BP - it is not to small. I am actually very close to buying a 5'5 as the 5'7 sometimes is a bit too chunky.

Comment

Hey Maik, greetings from Cologne!
                    Im 40 years, 192, 98kg and surf since 2001.
                    I have a 600 sweet potato.
                    At 90kg this would mean 508 SP or 509 BP.
                    I think if you want to surf mostly north Atlantic summer mush or north/east sea mush this is it.
                    If you want it more an all around board you should grab a 507.
                    When waves get bigger (around chest high) the 600 SP doesnt sink anymore into the water. The board becomes skiddish and turning becomes more difficult. Less volume would help with that I think.

For me I think I could easily ride one size less. 600 has plenty of float. I recently buyed a 604 potatonator which has same volume as a 510 SP.

Comment

Thx DGR and Alex for your answer and advice. that helps a lot. cheers to kln mate. maybe we see us some day in any line up. i think i go for a 507 that is still floaty enough and i can turn easly when its getting faster. wish you all the best and good waves.

Comment

Working...
                      X