X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling PRJ - UK BP performance, fin choice and TT or WRF

Calling PRJ and anyone else that would like to feedback.... If you had the choice of TT or WRF which would you go for and why? What is your preferred fin choice and thruster or quad? Performance in UK type waves? Looking at laying down some cash by the weekend and would love some feedback. PRJ I have feeling we surf similar waves and boards here in Cornwall so your feedback would be great

To be honest I've been surfing my Vanguard is everything and have only ridden the BP twice since getting it in September...
    As far as build goes, for me Timbertek is the better build. WRF is nice and light and responsive but I prefer the feel of TT and it's more resistant to denting. I don't know which would be more resilient to impacts and dings but WRF is going to be more simple to repair and colour match.
    Fin wise, it's a quad all day for me. Add a nubster if you're in steeper or bigger stuff than the board is ideal for or want a more central pivot point. A thruster might be fun on a slow mushy point but for speed to make the most of little beach breaks I don't think you'd beat the quad.

I've tried PG5 fronts and k2.1 quad rears and found that the board turned well but lacked a little drive. Last time I used FCSII Performer fronts with the Performer quad rears which are basically the same as the K2.1 rear/G1000 80/20 foiled quad rears . The Performer fronts are basically a PC5 and it felt like the inside foil gave me just a touch more drive than the flat foiled PG5s.

Next time I use the board (maybe tomorrow) I'm going to try FCSII large Accelerator sides with medium Performer quad rears. Hopefully the larger front fins will give me plenty of drive without stiffening things up too much. I used to use my Sweet Potato with Soar DL fronts and DS rears and that setup worked great for me. Loads of drive and loads of turning ability with enough hold not to slide out or release mid turn.

It's a good board to have around here though I reckon. I had some amazing little sessions on my Sweet Potato last winter and I know the Baked would have gone even better. The Vanguard has just been so versatile for me that it's hard to take anything else out.

Comment

I would agree with Phill on TT over Wrf . I got my BP at the start of the summer and rode it most days there was a wave. The TT is light but feels solid looks amazing. The board goes so fast if the wave has a wee bit of punch say shoulder it's too much fun. It's like riding a disc skim board skit kind thing. I have used the Strech sf4 quad they were a good all round fin. I now use Mr fronts and m3 rears which is very drivey and great hold if the surf gets bigger. I also tried on a small mushy day as a twin with a nubster in the rear . That was also fun I was doing 360 off the bottom turn a bit too loose but good crack. I think anyone living in the uk should have one in there quiver. it's such a motivator just to paddle out.

Comment

i'm waiting on my TT BP arriving. initially going to run it as a thruster on the mushy moray and north coast beach breaks, once the versatraction arrives.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I know what you mean about the vanguard, every time I plan to take out another board I just can't resist - the 5'6" just goes so well. Phill, did you get the BP in the other day? If so, how did it go? In terms of TT construction, how does it compare to FST? I've heard they are pretty much identical in terms of weight and response in small waves? I like the idea of a BP but not sure on the wooden look but have no real choice as they have stopped making WRF - now special Order and to e replaced by LFT. Shame cause I like the look and feel of WRF

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I don't really get on with it. Would have had more fun on the VG... It just doesn't do what I want off the bottom. I think I'm just too used to the straight rail of the VG now.
            I'm tempted to let the BP go...
            I really like the feel of TT. Lighter and more responsive than FST, but a more solid build than RF. Win/win IMO.

Seems strange that its not doing it for you, especially seems the SP did. As much as I fancy one I think the TT might not be for me. Being hearing mixed reviews on performance and durability, plus not sure on look and don't want to waste money! Someone find me a 5'1" WRF haha. What to do.......

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I'm a bit confused too. I might get a grovel MPH made next year. 5'3 x 19" but same nose and tail widths as my 18" wide one so there's more curve in the outline. Diamond nose and tail to shorten the tail line and give it more pivot.
            Could be fun.
        Working...
        X