Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Potato 503 Demo 1-2ft Currumbin Alley

G'day fellow firewire frothers!!!

I have posted a bit before regarding 501 vs 503 BP but the plot has thickened...

Today i demoed a 503 technograin baked potato with a bog standard quad set of future fins. (i wanted to try a 501 but they still dont have one...)

Took it down to currumbin alley in 1-2ft junkyish swell. For those of you that dont know the alley is a great spot where the waves are usually a bit smaller but on the low tide with the right wind they peel for ages. Its an awesome "fun for all the family" point break and when it gets going it can really fire and compete with some of the best points in the world for sure.

The crowds were there as its school holidays but i felt like i was out paddling just about all the loggers and uber groms in the line up. The couple of times i paddled back across the creek in still water were awesome too this board paddles so well!

I didnt find the high volume annoying for duck diving etc when moving around the surf. I actually think the compact shape is great for duck diving as you can get all the volume in deep and use it to pull yourself under so no size/volume quarms there.

Everyone was struggling to get into the waves, which were pretty mushy but still had the occasional (albeit small) steep, fast sections. I think this board catches waves amazingly well however it still doesnt quite get into them like a log. Its still more of a shortboard style takeoff where you time your squirt right more than chugging in from way out back and getting up to speed like a mal.

The takeoffs and drops are great, it handles them so well. I found that its pretty hard to put your feet in the wrong place as there isnt many places to actually put them! Once youre up its so fast and you can really work very small waves. I loved trimming down the line and carving on the face, little off the lips etc. The board is so fun and so fast once youre going. Id really love to try it with some different fins...

I did feel though that once it was up it sat very high on the water and i couldnt bury the rail, got a few cut backs but i felt like i was using the fins and not the rails of the board.

However i had some amazing waves zipping down the line for ages and had way more fun than on a big fish or log.

Now i just want to try the 501 even more than ever. Its obviously going to be a bit of give and take in different areas.

My thoughts are that the 501 will lose a little paddle and catch but will gain some perfomance. Its just a question of how much paddle and catch will i be sacrificing for how much performance.

This will be my board for 2ft down to as small as possible. For 2ft plus i have my 509 chubby chedda which i love (had some epic surfs on this beauty camping down at flat rock this weekend but thats another story!!!)...

I am 5'7 and my weight fluctuates between 67-70kgs (i weigh myself alot for bjj competitions and its amazing how much it changes with hydration/what iv been eating).

I hope this helps some people and would love to hear comments on how you guys think the 501 would compare.

Simply by what you've said the 5'1" sounds spot on and I wouldn't hesitate.

Comment

Agreed go 5'1 it's time to take the plunge, love my 5'3 at 72-74kg and 5'9 .... I still wonder about the 5'1 often but if I was your size and weight I woulnt hesitate. Did you feel a weird transition going from 32 ltrs to 27 out of curiosity?

Comment

501 mate I am the same 5,7 68 to 70 kgs. I ride the 501 in a full 5mm sute it's surfs all sorts of crap. I remember once been out catching what I felt were small But good waves for an hour. I got out looked back and was no way was that surfable. Every one needs a baked or sweet spud in there quiver.

Comment

Hey Matt,

No to be honest i felt better on my lower volume CC than my SF. I assume thats what you mean? Its amazing the difference shape and bottom contour makes. The spit never truly clicked for me. My girlfriend was demoing one at the same time, i wanted to get her on a 504 PN but they didnt have one to demo and we swapped for a bit, the spit felt like a gun after being on the potato and it still just didnt feel right for me, maybe a smaller one would be good in the right surf but horses for courses i suppose... i felt like the baked could probably handle a similair wave range but was just more fun and fast.... maybe il just have to take the plunge and buy a 501 as no where seems to stock them to demo! Theres 3 places here you can demo firewires (spoilt i know) and they all have 503s as the smallest...

Thanks pmorgan everyones trying to get me on the 501! Even the guys in the shops say it... I guess i just really want to try before i buy! Either way i think this will be a magic little chunk! I just hope its gonna go well in real small surf, thats my only worry but sounds like it will! Also still a couple of litres more volume than my chubby and amazing the difference bottom contours etc make!

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson GoldCoast View Post
            G'day fellow firewire frothers!!!

I have posted a bit before regarding 501 vs 503 BP but the plot has thickened...

Today i demoed a 503 technograin baked potato with a bog standard quad set of future fins. (i wanted to try a 501 but they still dont have one...)

Took it down to currumbin alley in 1-2ft junkyish swell. For those of you that dont know the alley is a great spot where the waves are usually a bit smaller but on the low tide with the right wind they peel for ages. Its an awesome "fun for all the family" point break and when it gets going it can really fire and compete with some of the best points in the world for sure.

The crowds were there as its school holidays but i felt like i was out paddling just about all the loggers and uber groms in the line up. The couple of times i paddled back across the creek in still water were awesome too this board paddles so well!

I didnt find the high volume annoying for duck diving etc when moving around the surf. I actually think the compact shape is great for duck diving as you can get all the volume in deep and use it to pull yourself under so no size/volume quarms there.

Everyone was struggling to get into the waves, which were pretty mushy but still had the occasional (albeit small) steep, fast sections. I think this board catches waves amazingly well however it still doesnt quite get into them like a log. Its still more of a shortboard style takeoff where you time your squirt right more than chugging in from way out back and getting up to speed like a mal.

The takeoffs and drops are great, it handles them so well. I found that its pretty hard to put your feet in the wrong place as there isnt many places to actually put them! Once youre up its so fast and you can really work very small waves. I loved trimming down the line and carving on the face, little off the lips etc. The board is so fun and so fast once youre going. Id really love to try it with some different fins...

I did feel though that once it was up it sat very high on the water and i couldnt bury the rail, got a few cut backs but i felt like i was using the fins and not the rails of the board.

However i had some amazing waves zipping down the line for ages and had way more fun than on a big fish or log.

Now i just want to try the 501 even more than ever. Its obviously going to be a bit of give and take in different areas.

My thoughts are that the 501 will lose a little paddle and catch but will gain some perfomance. Its just a question of how much paddle and catch will i be sacrificing for how much performance.

This will be my board for 2ft down to as small as possible. For 2ft plus i have my 509 chubby chedda which i love (had some epic surfs on this beauty camping down at flat rock this weekend but thats another story!!!)...

I am 5'7 and my weight fluctuates between 67-70kgs (i weigh myself alot for bjj competitions and its amazing how much it changes with hydration/what iv been eating).

I hope this helps some people and would love to hear comments on how you guys think the 501 would compare.

I know Currumbin well....surfed there heaps on the few times I've been to OZ, really liked the beach break before, I'd always see Bede Durbridge ripping out there! and the beach over from the inlet part....Cracking spot! less crowded too

Still got a nice scar on my on my leg from paddling back over the inlet to the car park, fell off the rocks!!

Comment

Yeh mate I love the alley!!! Firewire are 2mins up currumbin creek road from there, so good for demos! I'm covered in oyster scars from jumping off the point and cling back across the creek. That beachy sandbar bit the other side of the creek is Lacey's and it's epic sometimes, iv seen it barrelling like old school kirra...

Comment

Yeah I went there about the time the Dominator was taking off....Frothin!

Comment

Nice, gonna have to take a vanguard out there soon. Over on straddie this weekend. Had a great surf at cylinders. Falling more in love with my chubby chedda such a rippin little board!

Comment

Never made it to Straddie, maybe next time. My Bro lives in Whale beach/Avalon so love it up there too, North Av and the wedge at Whale are great. Looking to get a Chubby soon as I tried one in very bad waves at a demo and went really well! Was quite surprised....I quite like a little length but with some volume too and the bottom contours work well

Comment

Straddie is a truly magical place! And the CC is a great board!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X