X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 509 or 511 BP

just went to my local shop and they have an abundance of BP's in stock. Much more refined than I thought they would be, that's for sure!!! Sorta like a fat spitfire. Anway, I'm 100kg or 220lb and 6'3" or 193cm. Average fitness, and haven't been in the water a lot lately. But once I'm up and going I'm a high level intermediate.

I'm tossing up between a 509 and 511 BP or a 602 PN. Waves rarely get over head high where I live, and summer conditions are usually around knee to waist high. Sometimes breaking over very shallow sand, other times in deeper water.

thanks!

(I currently have a spitfire, flexfire, fish, and several other short boards)

I actually way prefer the BP to the SF... Get one! Youre gonna be blown away! Yet to try the PN but id say mkaes sense to go the BP from your quiver... What size is your spitifre? Im right down on the lowest volume potato boards so hard for me to say what would work for you but maybe 2-3L more than your 2ft+ daily driver....

Comment

• justo
      justo commented
      Editing a comment
      My SF is too small now. I was 90kg on a 600 SF. I'm now sporting a keg at 100kg. Haha!

5'9' BP.
    6'2" PN.
    Love them both.
    Which one?
    Toss a coin?

Comment

• justo
      justo commented
      Editing a comment
      At my weight what size would you be more inclined to look at? 509 or 511?

If it helps I'm 95kg on the 5'5" but I reckon I could go bigger as well.
    I really don't think you could go wrong with either size as they are surprisingly closer to performance than you'd think.
    Have a look at this guy - http://vimeo.com/75077339 http://vimeo.com/73991887

(apart from the fact that he loves to walk a lot before a surf) these videos are a perfect example of how it rides for the "Average" surfer - the board also looks quite big compared to me and my 5'5"
    as far as the PN goes I didn't really click with it for some reason - can't figure out why
    Last edited by Goanna; 01-22-2014, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• justo
      justo commented
      Editing a comment
      He does walk a lot. Haha. Those waves are very similar to what I would be surfing. Sometimes more power. His board looks massive.

I just don't want to be over volumed, but I also don't want to be under. Based on riding a SF at 90kg I need volume around 38L/100kg. Making the 509 about right (for an uber groveller). But the volume calc says I should be on around 47L/100kg

Go with the 509 or 602 PN as cuttlefish said.

You'll be pleasantly surprised how well these shapes paddle compared to the spitfire even.

See if the shop have any you can demo?

Comment

• justo
      justo commented
      Editing a comment
      If only we had places to demo in Perth.

This is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm 6'3" and 104kgs and I was looking at the 604 PN or 601 BP. I recently bought a 608 SpitFire but I can't travel with it back home to South Africa, so have to find something smaller or just sell it completely.

Comment

• justo
      justo commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you seen them? The 511 is huge. Hence why I looked at the 509. If purely on specs I'd go the 511, but under the arm and appearance tells me 509. If I was about 4-5kg heavier I'd be set on the 511. Although I'm the one asking for help here, I think the 601 will be too big for you. In the shop, they had sizes from 501 through to 601. The 507 had fcs2. If only the 509 did!

I actually haven't seen any of them bigger than 507, but thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to try find one to look at first. What fin set up is on the 509?

Comment

• justo
      justo commented
      Editing a comment
      Futures (which all my other boards are), I'm just keen to try fcs2

FCS so you can use this great fin combo. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/707/zw3k.jpg

Comment

justo if waves are knee to waist high most of the time, get the BP.
      ALOHA!!

Comment

You can go surprisingly smaller than you think with the potato boards. The SP, BP, and PN completely change how small wave boards can be ridden. I agree with the guys above with the 509 (if you haven't already made the purchase!).

- FIJ

Comment

i can't even figure out why they make the BP bigger than a 5-9. At that point I don't think it would surf as intended unless you were 8 ft tall and 300 lbs. Needing to go bigger than that I would go long board or get a sweet potato which catches waves a bit easier than the BP. The BP has a lot of performance in it surprisingly so going too big kinda kills that.

Comment

Yeh, i vaguely remember nev using an oversized sweet or baked potato as an example that there is "a board for everyone"... Think it would make a good transitional board coming off big foam mals in small surf, i also find with boards like the potatoes theres less places to put your feet so they normally end up in the right spot.. if that mkaes sense?! im hoping the vanguard is like that too haha...

Comment

• Josh BL
              Josh BL commented
              Editing a comment
              I've found with the VG that my foot placement has to be pretty exact (back foot all the way back). Too far forward and you'll bog it or catch an edge on a cutty.

- FIJ

http://vimeo.com/75077339 more classic walking footage, with occasional surfing...

Comment

Working...
            X