Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size Me...

Hey everyone,

Hoping for some advice. I'm 32yo, 5'11 and between 81-84kg depending on the week and average beer consumption. I'm of above average fitness and would generally consider myself intermediate...Im looking for a BP primarily for summer beach breaks(san diego) and cardiff reef breaks...I currently ride a 5'10 unibrow which i'm thinking of trading in for a 5'11...I was thinking 5'7" or 5'5"...I don't wanna under gun myself cause I want it to be fairly easy to catch waves but I don't want it to be super corky and bobby...

Thanks and take care..

How would you say your Uni floats you? Using the FW vol calc based on the stats you provided it says you should be in the 34-37L range for a uni (6'1) and a 35-41L for a BP if you intend on using it in less than Good conditions. That would put you on a 5'5 (36L) or 5'7 (39.9) BP. If you plan on using it as a groveler I'd say go with the 5'7, if you rip and just want a knee-chest high board to tear up summer waves in so cal go with the 5'5. As a side note, based on the vol of your Uni you could go down to a 5'3 BP (I'm assuming your Uni is under vol which is why you are thinking of trading in). You will love the spud, I have a SP and the thing makes 1-3 unreal, always leave the surf with a mile wide smile stuck on my face. If you can get your hands on a demo I'd take the 5'5 for a spin.

Comment

Thanks for the reply BFILK...I feel a little 'under gunned' with the Uni's volume...if the waves have some power and are in good shape, I do fine, but I think having a 5'11 or even 6' might up my wave count which is why I'm considering the trade in....but, at the same time, I don't mind the added challenge either...i'll call around for a demo but BP demos are hard to find here...

Comment

Alleyehave- where are you located? If you really think how you are planning on surfing the BP it will help you decide which way to go (5'5 or 5'7). I understand wanting that "bit of a challenge" but I also think, especially on the Uni there is an optimal volume for that board. For the BP and especially the SP the volume isn't as big of a game changer in my humble opinion (a better surfer might disagree with me). At the end of the day, if you're looking for a groveler a bit more volume isn't going to hurt you. Do you have any other FW boards? You just want to make sure there isn't overlap if you own say a Dom which you can rip in 2-4 anyway. If you were honest with yourself in your stats, I'd say the 5'5 will be the magic stick for your setup. I too surf So Cal waves and my SP was right on the money when it came to the FW volume calc. I demo'd the 5'10 and the 6'0 and ended up going with the 6'0 (I'm 6'4/220lbs) since I wanted an uber groveler and am looking to add something like a Spit/Hell fire at some point to the upper end of the wave size range I get the pleasure of riding around here. Lastly, I went with FST (got a killer deal) but surfed with a guy that has a TT Baked and the thing is gorgeous to behold. Good luck on your search, I'm telling you, you are going to love the board. Update us when you get a chance to take her out.

Comment

BFILK, i'm in downtown San Diego...I bought the Uni when I was about 10lbs lighter..which did seem to make quite a bit of a difference...im leaning toward the 5'5" as well, looks like I'd have to special order it....

Comment

Did you check out Hansen Surf in Encinitas? Looks like they have a 5'5 baked, might want to give em a buzz.

Comment

I called and they said they didn't have either size in stock...i'll take a look next time I'm near there..

Comment

• BFILK
                BFILK commented
                Editing a comment
                Must've been an old inventory sheet listed on the web, good luck on your search

Check out Surfride in Solana Beach. They sell a ton of Firewires from that shop.

- FIJ

Comment

Any luck on finding a BP? What size waves are you normally riding w the uni? I'm trying to decide what to go with for 3-6 waves here in so cal. Looking at spit/hell fire and uni

Comment

Not yet, likely gonna have to order, not a big deal, just hope I don't botch the size. I'm using the uni as my workhorse and have found that it excels in the 4-6ft range, but have used it overhead and down to 1ft. A lot of people can get use in the 2-3ft range but I have a bit of trouble in all but punchy beach breaks. Which is why I think I might be undervolumed...Can't comment on the spit/hell fire...but it looks like a lot of people on these threads who have gone from spit/hell -> Uni are pretty happy...Take care!

Comment

Ordered a 5'5 and will have it Thursday, i'll ride it same day and post back..

Comment

• Phill
                      Phill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did you get it? Any good?

• BFILK
                      BFILK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sick bro! How was it??

I picked it up yesterday and took it out midday. The wind was absolutely howling but I couldn't wait. I had a set of controllers on it that I didn't end up liking, seemed like too much fin. Went out this morning for a very short session with a set of Parko quads and a nubster...felt completely different! I'm really digging it and I think I nailed the volume but i'll need to go out a few more times to get a good idea, but so far so good...it seems the fins can definitely make or break your experience with this board...What have you guys had good experiences with? (futures)

Comment

I use the rasta quads on mine and haven't taken them out ever since I got them.

Comment

I have the FCS equiv of the Futures Controllers on mine, but I'm a big guy need a big fin.

Comment

Working...
                        X