Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'1" Baked Potato review

My details: 5'7" x 185lbs x 38 years old (lunchbox) regularfoot

Board details: 5'1" Baked Potato in Techno Grain (I got one of the early ones before the name change)

Fin setup: FCS Kelly Slater 2.1 quads with a middle finger trailer knub

The Good: The Baked Potato is the most versatile board I've ever owned for waves in the just over head high and under range. It's the one board quiver that I'll bring with me any time I travel. I surfed it in solid overhead South Shore, Oahu last summer, well overhead Rincon, PR this winter, and all up and down the NY and NJ coastlines in a wide variety of conditions.

The Bad: The only real bad on the Baked Potato is taking it out in the wrong conditions. I had a few days where I took out the BP and the swell really stepped up while I was out surfing. The board handled well, but I was toes to the inside rail on bottom turns on some freight train rights. This was not a board issue, but a wrong board for the conditions issue.

Why you need one: When you want a board that you can rely on to dominate your everyday waves, then look no further. When you want a board that will work damn well in everything from ankle high to just over head, this is your board. When you want a board that has a small form factor but packs a huge punch, this is the one. From New Jersey barrels in 34 degree water to reeling reef breaks in 80 degree water, the Baked Potato works like a charm.

Thanks for the review philosurfical. That's happened to me too when the waves get bigger while you're surfing and suddenly your board no longer fits the conditions. The BP is a great small wave board, but anything over waist high you'll start digging the nose on take-offs and sliding out on your bottom turns.

Glad the board is working well for you!

- FIJ

Comment

Comment

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Comment

Comment

I tried uploading a bunch of images, but the system apparently has (low) limits. One per post doesn't solve it.

Comment

How do you find the transition switching between the vanguard and BP day to day?

Comment

• philosurfical
              philosurfical commented
              Editing a comment
              Due to my lunchbox physique, there is no ideal sized stock Vanguard. That said, I use the 5'4" you can see me on in my profile photo. Because it's so low volume for me, I've actually taken to only using it in overhead waves. It has effectively become my low volume step-up. the length is right, but the volume is off. It works great in bigger waves, but under head high it just drags. Why don't I just go for a slightly longer, higher volume Vanguard? Well, the greater length at my height defeats the purpose of the design. Ideally, I'd love it in a 5'2" or 5"3" with dimensions that accommodate 29 Liters of volume, but I've settled for a low volume step-up.

I would say the transition between the BP and the VG is not seamless. There is a huge change in the overall dimensions. The vanguard is a Japanese street bike and the BP is a an offroad quad. I have much less of a transition issue going from my 5'1" BP to my 5'4" Potatonator. Same goes for my 5'3" x 19.6" Stretch Mr. Buzz. The transition from the BP to Buzz is seamless.

This is why I'm begging Firewire to allow special orders of the Japanese Nano (ion). They run in the same lengths as the US Nano with slightly wider and thicker dims and a few extra liters of volume.

Agree on the length of the vanguard vs volume, I ordered a custom in the end 5'2 at 26.5 ltrs vol (I'm 5'9 160lbs) feels like a good all rounder so far. But just got my 5'3 replacement bp In (havnt tried it yet, old one was an original hot coat techno grain which had some cosmetic issues with wood which was kindly replaced by fw) but looks like it's going to be odd switching between the two, I absolutely loved the first 5'3 I had last summer but now Iv been riding my custom vg the bp looks odd. Hope this one is as magic as the first, it's a fair bit heavier with the deck and bottom cloth which is slightly disappointing. The ion looks sick, tweaked dims on the nano in a good way!

Comment

It would be very cool to CBD the Tomos. Chris if you are watching, how realistic would that be?

Comment

yeah aurf someday though i can't even begin to offer any insight on it. the problem is the tomo boards are radical and the designs are harder to "scale" in a custom process. that is why they haven't been included out of the gate... Also because you can call daniel and order a custom as well...

Comment

Hey philosurfical, thanks for the review! I have similar build (5'6" x 160lbs x 37 years old), of average skill-set, and am looking for something fun to surf during the US mid-Atlantic summers (ie. 3ft mush). I've been debating if I should pull the trigger on a BP, but can't decide if I should go 5'3" or 5'1". How's the paddle on you BP in small waves...easy or are you working for it? Ever wish you had gone with a slightly bigger board? Thanks!

Comment

Stick with the 501 for more progressive surfing. There is a lot of hidden volume in the core of the board, despite the rails being relatively thinned out. However, since you say you're skill set is average, you will guarantee wave quantity and overall happiness with a 503, whereas it may take a little more practice to dial in the 501. Paddle power won't change much between those two sizes, but you'll notice the size difference most once you're up and riding.

Comment

Well... for 3' weak and mushy, I'd suggest a 5'5". Not too big to feel corky yet not too small to piss you off. the resale values hold so its very easy to re sell and re buy.

Comment

Working...
                      X