Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As of this morning I'm now the proud owner of a quad, Futures shod, 5'11" RF baked potato.
    I know I said I was going to wait for an FST and get a 5'10 FST sweet potato to tide me over but opportunity knocked and I answered the door.
    Stoked! To use a retro term.
    Yeeew is so 2011.
    Lol.
    Last edited by cuttlefish; 07-13-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I recon RF is the way to go for small wave board anyway. Having to fix a few dings is worth it for the extra performance. I just ordered a 5'7

Comment

Ha! Good effot Cuttle! I dont think i'll be able to wait for the FST either. Looks like the inbetween brother of the PN SP

Comment

Very interested in your ride report Pete. I reckon you'll love the weight of the RF.

Comment

yeah RF weight is a bit below FST and it DEFINITELY shines brightly in smaller surf!! There is no doubt there!

Comment

[QUOTE]yeah RF weight is a bit below FST and it DEFINITELY shines brightly in smaller surf!! There is no doubt there!/QUOTE]

Cuttle, ref recent posts about the sweet p as a 0-2' board and the volume/sizing issues, with your transitions between boards, rf 6'0 sweet p, rf potatonator, 5'11 rf baked p, and the fst 5'8 sweet p, do you think there is something to be said for the extra weight of the fst being the limiting factor? in sub 2' waves?

would a 5'8 rf sweet p been the answer? retaining the smaller volume with less weight, against the fst with more weight.

As you downsized from a 6'0 rf sweet p, it will be interesting to see if the 5'11 baked in rapid fire will now be the tits, being 1' smaller, slightly less volume then the 6'0, slightly more then the 5'8 and lighter being rapid fire construction.

Im still not feeling the 5'8 fst sweet p in 0-2' conditions,

suncoast
              Last edited by suncoastslop; 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

But...sorry have to ask again...what fins are you running in it?
                Haven't got a hold of the Baked yet.
                Hopefully getting brought up from the Goldie tomorrow.
                Re the sizing I'd say it was more a question of finding the ideal volume and also discovering the big difference made by using the Indo controllers.
                Talking about small waves here and paddling to catch them.
                The 5'8" spud (which I still have) is great once up and riding but it in crowded conditions I was lacking a bit of paddle power.
                The big difference supplied by the Indo controllers is most pronounced in the 0-3' range. Once larger I'd go to Stretch quads.
                Keep in mind I'm used to the potatonator which catches waves much easier.
                It's a planshape difference I reckon as the wide nose of the spud is a slower flat water paddler than the potatonator with the more pulled in nose.
                Once the wave is picking you up then the wide tails of both help in getting the board up to take off speed.
                I'm used to heavier boards and like their paddling momentum so the difference in weight inbetween the rf and fst shouldn't hinder paddling speed.

Comment

cuttle,

future controllers,

maby i just need some more vol for 0-2' range, as we currently have the same size/construction sweet p's, ill be waiting to hear your impressions on the baked when it arrives to compare

Suncoastslop

Comment

It's arrived so maybe with a bit of luck the SW change will come through and clean things up. This arvo or tomorrow morning should be on for a test ride.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                      It's arrived so maybe with a bit of luck the SW change will come through and clean things up. This arvo or tomorrow morning should be on for a test ride.
                      You need to update your signature grasshopper (this will be a fulltime job with your track record lol!).......so how did your baking go and did ya get those controllers?

Comment

Whose track record are we talking about here?
                        Let's get a last 12 months board shuffle comparo going between us.
                        But wait....not a good idea in case our wive's stumble across this thread.
                        Had a short surf on the baked (with Futures controllers) yesterday arvo at low tide, peaky, 2-3' Alex corner.
                        The baked paddled well in the flats and is super easy to catch waves on (it would want to be at the volume I'm riding it at).
                        I'd say even easier than the 5'10" sweet potato Rf I've surfed.
                        Got the "wet bar of soap" feel straight off the takeoff like a well sized spud too.
                        I was in a hurry but got a couple where I could do a bottom turn and up into a crumbley lip which the baked happily did.
                        as usual the waves were backing off as soon as they broke but the baked would skim across the dead water with ease.
                        Need to go back and have a relaxed surf this morning to dial in my feet placement and explore cutbacks on it.
                        Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
                        Live reports from the beach to continue...if I can just get the water out of my monitor.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just had another surf on the baked and used AMT robber fronts and controllers rears.
                          Waves were only 1-2' but nice clean little point peelers.
                          The AMT's in the front made the board a lot more responsive and so much easier to go vertical.
                          Brilliant combo which I doubt many will ever get to try because whose got a set of Futures Robbers and controllers lying around?
                          Attachment
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hey Pete I'll upload a photo of my current fin set up after work. Not sure how well it goes as conditions didn't allow many opportunities last night. It's a lot of fin though. Felt fast on rail but not sure about turns yet.

Comment

That's the thing...what works for me at 90kgs and 6'1" can be too much fin for lighter, shorter surfers and that's one of the reasons I put my fin choices in with my stats in my signature.
                              That Robber (AMT) controller combo made a big difference in what I could do on the smaller waves I had today.
                              Yesterday I was thinking I wasn't sure how well the Baked would go in smaller waves but the Robbers in front with much less rake than the controllers but still with cant and plenty of area for me delivered the drive with a good loose feel.
                              It's a shame they only make both Robbers and controllers in one size that doesn't fit all.

Comment

http://www.naturalnecessity.com.au/s...SURFBOARD.html

I see baked potatoes in FST are advertised as coming soon at natural necessity good, to see the price between RF and FST is only around the $100 mark also, which is good as in US I noticed there isn't as big difference in price between tech as there is in OZ.

Tempted to order one but think you have to pay now and misus will kill me, but might be worth it.
                                Last edited by indodreaming; 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X