Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small wave groveller?

Hi guys,

I currently ride a 6'0 DOM and 5'10 Quad Fish (HP) Both these boards are great, but I struggle when the waves are really small and weak. I don't want to go down the long board route so was thinking about a Takayama Scorpion 6'4 or a sweet or baked potato. Would any of these boards be more fun than what I've got in small surf? or stay with what i've got?

Any input would be fab,

Thanks,

Yeah you know, a potato, either the sweet or the baked, would likely give you a bit more float than the HP quad fish, but just keep in mind, that when it gets really small its hard for anyone to ride a board under 6' and really rip.

I personally go for the potatoes in the smallest conditions, just make sure you get after a potato with a little more volume than your quad fish. its not a set formula though and it will depend a little bit on your ability and style.

hope this helps

Comment

The potato is a funner board on small conditions, you'll be able to put that thing all over the place. The fish will draw straighter lines.

Comment

A quad fish should handle pretty small waves. Indeed, I surf my Dom in thigh high and above, although I may also choose my longboard in those conditions. Reputedly though the SP is the ants pants in small waves. It's probably the best bet. For myself I've always loved the look of a Takayama, particularly the Scorpion. I have no idea how it'd surf, and I'd probably look at one of those more as a mid length, but I'll probably get either a Takayama log or Scorpion at some point.

I'd think of the Takayama, assuming we aren't talking about Surftech here, as surfable art, but the SP would probably offer better performance - almost certainly.

Comment

Hi casurf, I ve ridden the sweet p and baked p, both are a bundle of joy and different to the other boards that you mentioned. Both excel in smaller waves and fatter high tide waves. They require weight on the back foot, are very manouverable with the bonus of a bit of foam giving you length of ride. I found the bp had a bit more whip in turns and easier taking steeper drops. Only had it out in head high waves tho and either would suit your small wave
          Needs. Hope this helps

Comment

I've surfed the Sweet Potato(5'4) and the Scorpion (6'4). They are not the same class of boards. The Scorpion is a small longboard where you have to be up towards the nose to accelerate and then get back to the tail to turn. It's difficult to do both without moving your feet. The SP is a little high performance toy. Get your weight all the way back to the tail and it surfs like HPSB on small/mushy waves. It doesn't ride like a small longboard, meaning that it doesn't trim on it's own when you just point the nose. It's more of a rail to rail design where it accelerates as you pump down the line.

Comment

yessir csarqui!!

Comment

I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs. I ride my Sweet Potato in knee 2 thigh high Florida mush and have a blast with it. Year and a half now. Used to be a steady diet of Longboarding for me. It really does catch waves about as well as a log but is a far more playful ride (obviously!). I have been riding a 5'6" but just picked up a 5'4" yesterday. Last week tropical storm Debbie blessed us with head high waves. Was the biggest wave session I've had on the SP. THE MOST FUN Waves I have surfed to date in all my years of surfing.

Comment

Will be curious to see the differences between FST and RapidFire, which is what I got the 5'4" in.

Comment

Originally posted by LagoonSurfer View Post
                    I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs. I ride my Sweet Potato in knee 2 thigh high Florida mush and have a blast with it. Year and a half now. Used to be a steady diet of Longboarding for me. It really does catch waves about as well as a log but is a far more playful ride (obviously!). I have been riding a 5'6" but just picked up a 5'4" yesterday. Last week tropical storm Debbie blessed us with head high waves. Was the biggest wave session I've had on the SP. THE MOST FUN Waves I have surfed to date in all my years of surfing.
                    Yewwwwww!!!!! happy for ya buddy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                      Yewwwwww!!!!! happy for ya buddy!!!!
                      Thanks man! See your rockin a 5'2"! I should have gone shorter right? The guy I deal with at the surf shop even offered to let me try different ones (I couldn't get over that!) and see how small I could go.

Comment

Wow if they are giving you the privilege of trying several boards go for it. Start from the smaller size and go up.
                        Really digging my 5'2", that things goes everywhere n the wave, and catches waves in a breeze

Comment

I'd think of the Takayama, assuming we aren't talking about Surftech here, as surfable art, but the SP would probably offer better performance - almost certainly.

Comment

hi guys, after some sizing info for a BP, appreciate any feedback.
                            i'm 6'2, 88kg, intermediate surfer, very fit but only surfing once a week at the moment, hopefully more frequently soon.
                            my everyday board is a HS shred sled (6'3 x 21 x 2.75 = 37.9 ltrs), looking to add a small wave board for 1 - 3ft.
                            surf on sydney nth beaches, but possibly moving up to ballina area soon.
                            guessing i'm somewhere between a 5'7 and 5'11 ?
                            thanks

Comment

Split the difference and go 5'9". I weigh just about exactly what you do, and I tried out my El Fuego (39.8 l) in shin high surf just because. Going by my experience, I would suggest a bit more foam than that for micro small waves. If the waves you surf typically have more punch, then go with the 5'7". Anything over thigh high and you wont need the extra volume. In any case, the 5'11" is likely too much board.

Comment

Working...
                              X