X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 fin Baked Potato

I was at my local surf shop today looking at the Baked Potato's and noticed that some had a 5 fin option.

I posted a couple of months ago regarding adding a 5 fin plug on my Sweet Potato and most people called me crazy, lol! Hey FW, Nev, Chris, do I get any credit for this one, ha, ha!

Although still new, can anyone provide any feedback on the pro's/con's of possibly going the 5 fin option over the quad? I'm trying to get rid of my Sweet Potato at the moment to upgrade to the Baked Potato and seeing the 5 fin option looked good to me. Especially while I have one of those little red Von Sol knubser fins.

Cheers!

Yeah I reckon the fifth plug would be good for the nub. Not sure about a thruster set in that wide tail. Worth a try in the right conditions though I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by C0111N5 View Post
      I was at my local surf shop today looking at the Baked Potato's and noticed that some had a 5 fin option.

I posted a couple of months ago regarding adding a 5 fin plug on my Sweet Potato and most people called me crazy, lol! Hey FW, Nev, Chris, do I get any credit for this one, ha, ha!

Although still new, can anyone provide any feedback on the pro's/con's of possibly going the 5 fin option over the quad? I'm trying to get rid of my Sweet Potato at the moment to upgrade to the Baked Potato and seeing the 5 fin option looked good to me. Especially while I have one of those little red Von Sol knubser fins.

Cheers!
      Mate, i got one with the five fin option by mistake, i didnt notice till i got home. I am not complaining though. I ve had a lot of fun with mine using rasta quads front fins and the deviant fin (i dont own a futures thruster fin set yet). Surfed dbah last sunday arvo really clean wally a frame peaks and got some great waves. The type of wave where you had to stay close to the pocket and the board flew, able to pivot easily then accelerate into the close out section. Almost put my back out on one sliding turn.

I rode this fin set up on a messy head high beachbreak and had more joy when i switched to a quad set up......but that might just be me nothing to do with the board.

Its a bit smaller and straighter today so back to the rasta quads this arvo me thinks. I have a set of futures wct s on order for another board but i ll try them in the baked for sure.

Comment

Cool, glad to hear the board is working well for you JaM71.

Were the waves you were surfing at D'Bah pretty wally and punchy? I'm hoping the Baked Potato handles a shapely beach break better than the Sweet Potato does, hence the upgrade.

If you get a chance, try a set of Elevon quads, they work wonders in my Sweet Potato and will be using them in a Baked Potato once I get my hands on one, a lot better than the Controllers IMO.

Comment

Hi CO111N5 (Collins?),
          When you say the Elevons work better than the controllers for you can you be more specific?
          Reason I'd like to know more is to figure out how they'd go for me?
          Since I'm almost 20 kgs heavier and 4"s taller we will normally be looking at fin templates in considerably different sizes to get the same kind of ride characteristics.
          With the controllers and elevons we don't have this luxury.
          For me, I find the (Indo) controllers on the loose side even in 1-2' waves but you may have found them too stiff at your weight and height and corresponding board volume differential.
          Luckily I can easily add more hold in the tail with the controllers by simply using a rakier template instead of the upright controller rears.
          Which shop are you referring to btw? Beachbeat or Coolum/Alex/Dicky?
          Last edited by cuttlefish; 07-15-2012, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Hey C0111N5,
            we added the 5th box strictly to allow the option to add a knub fin, but you can bet there will be some experimentation with thrusters or twin + small center setups.

Comment

Yeah cuttlefish, being a bit heavier than me the Controllers might work better for you. For me they feel way too stiff and kick me out of my turns if I have too much speed. The Elevons are a little more forgiving and I find I can create a lot more drive and speed with them and push my turns longer and harder on the Sweet Potato, which I definitely want to replicate on the Baked Potato.

I was referring to the Dicky Beach store, I think Coolum have a few BP now too.

Comment

Hi C0111N5 in answer to your questions yes dbah was wally (its always a bit punchy more so that day as it was dead low) and IMHO yes much greater performance in these type of waves than the sweet p

Check out cuttlefish"s extensive and detailed board and fin ride report coming soon!

Comment

Working...
                X