X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'9" BP or 5'11" BP upgrade from 5'10" SP

Need a bit of help I have a 5'10" SP which I find perfect, possibly could handle slightly less volume but like the volume in small waves to compete against crowds/longboards, do I go up to a 5'11" BP or go down to a 5'9" bearing in mind my weight is 103-105kgs with advanced capability. I am skeptical going smaller as I think I will miss the paddle ability of the SP and worried about going up in volume it might feel like too much volume.

Maybe have a look at the PN in a 6'2 - friend of mine same weight and height as you has just ordered one as his small wave machine, his other board is a 6'5 EF if that gives you any idea. I think that and your 6'6 hellfire would cover you all round. Depends on how many boards you want in your quiver?

Comment

nn66, i say get after the 1" bigger option. Its not going to feel that much bigger and it has tweaks to the nose and tail that make the board feel more high performance...

Going longer won't feel like a bigger board.

Comment

Got the 5'11" BP with Controllers I have to say it is different from my old 5'10" SP it does at first seem not as loose and I was actually questioning why did I change so after a few surfs it is really coming to life and it seems to be a board to ride more back footed and you can really push it like a standard board. The speed it definitely better the the SP and catching waves is quite amazing yesterday it was barley 1.5ft and the amount of waves I caught was a joke I actually wanted more people to come out to take some of my waves. The BP rides more directional than the SP so its a bit harder to slide but thats not a bad thing you can really push your turns and you go from one turn to another with ease linking snaps,cutbacks and floaters with ease. At my weight the 5'11 floats me with ease and I am thinking the 5'9" would be worth a try, one other thing got to love the looks people give you as you walk past them and they think what is that thing you've got thats not going to work, love being on boards that are out of the square it keeps things interesting.

Comment

Nice ride report. That's exactly the kind of info that I've been looking for.

Comment

If you think it turns well with the controllers wait until you put a set of AMT Robber fronts in with the controller rears and then get back to me on how much better it goes in the sub 3' waves.
            Just sayin...

Comment

I read one of your reports about the Robbers and its been on my mind to give them a try they do sound like they make the BP go more vertical, as the controllers make your turns a bit more drawn out when the wave gets steeper, not a bad thing considering the SP rode very similar.Did you pick the Robbers up from your local surf shop or get them on line?

Comment

From my local surf shop.
                Correct as to the turns.
                It takes it from a retro like feel to a board that will surf more progressively if desired.

Comment

Tried the BP with JC Futures fronts and controller rears today in barely 1ft and it was a a totally different board, super loose and I was able to generate heaps of speed it will be interesting when the waves get bigger to see how it goes, the JC fronts could be possibly better than the controller fronts.

Comment

Get your hands on the amt fronts and give em a run as they will give you the drive/hold combo in spades.
                    Then if you want more hold in the tail when its bigger just put in normally takes rears.

Comment

Surfed the 5'9" BP for 2 sessions while my funshape is in for repairs. Thigh high northeast junk waves and it was great. It took a few waves to stop stepping off the tail but once I figured out where to drive from, it turned garbage surf into a fun session. I need to own this board.

I'm a 6', 170 lbs, 50 year old in a beat up body. I didn't try anything else or any other sizes but felt the volume was where it should be for me. I should probably demo a 5'7" to see if there would be any benefit to drop down.

I am now on the hunt for a second hand BP..

Comment

Working...
                      X