Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 89kg and a 5'11" should be under my feet in 1 week.

Comment

Good to hear Sarge, I'm in your weight range, and I'm dying to know how this board performs, especially in the bigger stuff.

so do fondle and tell!!!!!

Also Sarge i noticed in your sig you have a 6'0 MB & 6'0 MD
      How does the MB go paddle wise? Do you only use it for more hollow punchy waves and switch to the mini if its more fuller waves?
      How do the two compare as far as ride and wave range?
      Last edited by stylar; 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
        I'm 89kg and a 5'11" should be under my feet in 1 week.
        Originally posted by kdropin View Post
        I'm about your size and I'd go 510
        Originally posted by iggy View Post
        Vanguard 5'6"??? for those air missions it would fit like a glove
        Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
        I'd go 5'10

THANK You All !! I'm going to rock that 5'10 right away.

Comment

Originally posted by stylar View Post
          Good to hear Sarge, I'm in your weight range, and I'm dying to know how this board performs, especially in the bigger stuff.

so do fondle and tell!!!!!

Also Sarge i noticed in your sig you have a 6'0 MB & 6'0 MD
          How does the MB go paddle wise? Do you only use it for more hollow punchy waves and switch to the mini if its more fuller waves?
          How do the two compare as far as ride and wave range?
          The MB paddles just fine. Prior to the MD I was using it for everything from 2-6 foot. Now it's MB for tight pockets, waves where the aim is going to be quick and frequent vertical trips to the lip and tight wrapping turns. MD for waves more suited to longer turns (yes probably because they are fuller) down the line hi speed cruising. And of course for those lucky days when you just get to set the rail and pull in.
          The extra half litre and lower entry rocker on the MD is noticeable and appreciated when trying to catch fuller sections - there were a couple last week I caught waves that didn't break for another 20 metres. The MD releases way more easily off the top when you hit the lip due IMO to the double concave. It will release every time. The MB has more grip and gives the rider more control over whether to telease the fins or wrap the turn back into the pocket, similar to the Taj but more stable under foot.
          When I'm padding the MB I don't see it as 'worse' than MD. the MD just paddles easier. I reckon the MB feels much the same to paddle as my old 6'4" Taj - mine was one of the later ones that had a lower entry rocker than the earlier version. It was 29.9 litres as well.
          Certainly there is a big crossover with these boards, but I do travel a bit with work and depending on where I'm going I only need to take one. Gold Coast - MB, Torquay - MD. (but why limit yourself Sarge)(and then the new CC for the small days)
          Hope that helps, sorry if I rambled on a bit.

Comment

Any tips on how to ride this board? Is there a certificate course I can do?
            At the moment it's 3 bad waves(efforts) - 1 good. I think I keep trying to surf it forward on most of the bad efforts, followed by getting on the tail and finding out how incredibly responsive and fast it is and ending on my backside over the back while the board accelerates away. And then i get 1 wave where I dumb-luck my way around and it all feels fantastic. This is then followed by all previous steps.
            I have only ridden one other shortboard (in recent times) with a single - double - vee combo bottom (Mayhem SubDriver which I had hoped was going to end up in the Firewire catologue) and it felt similar, but it had a lot more thickness through the rails and I don't think it was quite as responsive.
            Anyway - suggestions anyone?
            Tomorrow is another day. Bring it on you feisty little CC.

Comment

Sarge, tell me more. I'm hungry for a balanced review of surfboards. All to often, somebody spends a lot of money on a board, tells everybody how great it is, and then mysteriously sells it 3 months later.

What happens when you "surf it forward"? I had a problem with the Hellfire where I would just bury the front rail on every committed turn, catch rail, and then trip.

How's the catch-ability compared to the Mini Driver? I had a really hard time catching waves on the Mini Driver after surfing the Dominator for so long. I think I'm spoiled now and I don't want to go back.

Comment

When I'm pushing forward it feels like the board is just bogging down. Very much the exact same feeling as my old 6'0" Hellfire which I could not get to work in surf under 3 foot, either paddling or on a wave. (and at the same time it felt over volumed for me)
                The waves have been quite a fullish take-off into some sucky, punchy, messy, chop and rip affected reform sections - so not the ideal way to get to know a board either. Very short rides.
                So I have been forward trying to get some drive going because I can see that wide point forward and the flat entry rocker and want to use it, but it just doesn't seem to like it. I then adjust back too quickly and the board just runs off without me LOL. There have been a few really good waves (ones where I surfed them as well as I might have hoped) and these have put a real big smile on my face. generally these have been wave with a bit more size -shoulder high - and I think because of that I have relaxed and not tried to work the board/wave to get speed. On some of these I have found a bit of wobble when coming off the bottom which I think is due to the high sensitivity of the tail end of the board. Its like I think lets start this turn and the board is already doing it but a bit more aggressively than I had intended. Then the whole proprioception thing takes over and I'm like a learner driver doing out-of-control bunny hops / speed wobbles, because I can't correct the angle of the turn subtlety enough without causing the same issue in the opposite direction. At least I can laugh at it while its happening.
                Catching waves is no where near as easy as on my Dom. But I am riding this 2.5 litres less then the Dom as well, and at what the Volume calculator says is my lowest volume for a HP board. That said, it catches waves as I expect it would. I find my MD is just fine for catching waves. Love it every time I take it out, or swap on to it after the CC so I can at least have a few good ones in a row.
                I think the key to the CC is going to be just getting it out of my head to push forward, and just ride it from a more balanced or rear footed approach. Like you might expect for a board to sit between the Dom and the MB. Hope to get out again this afternoon and tomorrow morning if there is any swell left.
                Will update once I make this board succumb to my will. Or mine to it! Either way I think it will be a good place to be.
                Last edited by Sarge; 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM. Reason: poor perception of spelling proprioception

Comment

Thanks Sarge. That's a great review. Reminds me of when I step down from my longboard to my short board after about 5 sessions or so. I look forward to hearing more about it as you dial it in.

Comment

I am looking for a board to fit my quiver in between Dom 5'10 & MB 6'0 and I was checking the unibrow & cc not sure which one would fit better for medium size reef waves with some juice where I have tried my Dom and felt too wide to bite and make longer secctions & the MB requireing a little more wave to go off!! Ive read some contradicting reports from both boards any advice would be welcomed thx cucuson

Comment

So - problem solved!
                      Solution - just stand up and surf. No need to 'work' the board that I bought to do the specific job it's designed for. Surf normally and let the board do the work for me. Der! Anyone would think I was new at this. I wouldn't say we are best friends yet, but the fight is over.

But damn that tail is sensitive!

Comment

Sarge - how are you doing with the CC now? Liking it more and getting used to the tail?
                        I am very close to getting a 5'6 CC and selling my Hellfire.
                        Love to hear your thoughts on how the CC is going for you!

Comment

Originally posted by delmarsurfer View Post
                          Sarge - how are you doing with the CC now? Liking it more and getting used to the tail?
                          I am very close to getting a 5'6 CC and selling my Hellfire.
                          Love to hear your thoughts on how the CC is going for you!
                          What´s your feeling with your 5,6 Hellfire? Easy to do maneuvers, surf high you can handle with it? etc... Thanks

Comment

sharkota - not sure I undertsand your question. Overall, I have enjoyed my Hellfire but I think the rails might be a tad thick for me. Not sure I am totally sold on the double concave and think I might prefer the concave of the CC, unfortunately, it's an expensive way to find out. I have definitely found the board performs better in bigger surf (chest - head+) and I am liking what people are saying about the CC...paddles better, surfs mush better and gets into waves well. These are all good boards it's just a matter of finding that one board you click with unless you're good enough to rip on anything.

Comment

Unfortunately in the last 2 weeks I have only had one surf on the CC (only had one surf). But luckily it was actually the first time the board has been in the conditions I bought it for - good little chest to head high, beach break. The board went great. I decided to go for a smaller fin - Futures HS large - and this help get rid of the tracking I was experiencing with the larger / more raked AM and JP5s. Very very fast off the bottom, the first few snaps off the lip turned into early exits over the lip cause I got there too quick. Once I got used to it I was loving it. Lots of drive off the bottom, good release when wanted(or not) off the top. Board is best (for me) with foot planted hard against the tail block over the rear fin. Can't wait for some more surf time. Good luck with your purchase which ever way you go.

Comment

Working...
                              X