Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying home to Cape Town tomorrow evening, and have a Chubby 6'0 waiting for me. Can't wait to paddle out on the CC on Sat. morning !

Comment

Nice!
      Someone needs to get a video posted of the CC in action.

Comment

Got a few surfs in over the weekend on the new Chedda. Surf wasn't real big but there were some nice sets that had some push. Mostly waist to chest with a few head high.
        I definitely picked the right size and noticed a difference between the 5'7 I demo'd and the 5'6 (1.3L difference).
        The CC paddles great and is as easy or easier to paddle than my 5'6 Hellfire and it definitely gets into waves a bit easier.
        Overall the board felt great, very manueverable and got me into many waves that I would have either had to be in a better position for or paddle a little harder for with the HF.
        More to write as I get some better waves and get more comfortable with the board.

Comment

Picked up the 6'0 on Friday night, and first thing I noticed that it leans more to Performance than Hybrid.

Surfed over the weekend on a beach break with fast changing conditions due to big changes in tide and currents. The board is not a groveller, but does paddle into waves with reasonable ease. I have the 6'0 Dominator, which is too big for me(5'10 would be better ). With the Dominator I just have to look at a wave and I'm on it. The CC requires a bit of paddling:)

The Dominator is an easy and fun board, but lacked performance and hold in more critical waves. I think the Chubby will fit the more critical mold. I had to work it a bit to get going on a few take-offs, but I think I just have to spend some more time on it. The waves didn't allow for much play, as they were fast. The board handled great and I got some nice floaters and 360's out of the board, with the odd re entry. I am looking forward to getting some open faces to work the board on.

I used FCS G-AM fins, which are quite big, but which I like in general. I will at some stage try the M5's.

185 cm , 86kgs, 40 years on this planet - 6'0 Dominator & 6'0 Chubby Chedda

Comment

yeha that is a fair assessment i think. It depends what you are coming off too when you start riding it. If you have been groveling on a Michel, then the Chubby is going to feel like a blessing in smaller surf. On the other hand, if you have been on a bigger board, yeah it can feel like a new challenge for sure.

Comment

So if I had a 60 sub scorcher for around head high could the 62 chubby work well in the head and a half range if I wanted a shorter step up, which still had some float? Love my 64 alt but often wish I could have a board which surfs in a similar way with a similar volume but a little less length.

Comment

I think the Sub and CC are too similar. I could be wrong though. If you want a shorter step up I'd look at the Mini Driver or widening a 6'2 Alt or Michel in the CBD.

Comment

Thanks prj,
                  Really like the look of the minidriver but i tend to like something with a slightly narrower nose in the bigger stuff. Never had a look at the CBD but will definitely have a play with the alt keeping the dims similar to the 64 but shortening it up.

Comment

FYI - chubby chedda is up on th compare function!
                    Thanks Chris.

Comment

Hellfire vs C.C

Originally posted by delmarsurfer View Post
                      kdropin - On Page 2 he said he got a 5'11 CC, weighs 80kg and the volume feels perfect.

paulnunn - What size Hellfire did you have?
                      For years like everyone else on the planet I used to try to ride high performance boards in average waves. My old 6'2 x 18.5 x 2 3/8 would fly in Indo and then sink like a coin in a wishing well once home! The first of the wide, fat, ugly revolution was my Dumpster Diver, loved it but it fell to pieces after 6 months?! I then bought a 5'10 Hellfire, which made surfing average waves more fun and a hell of alot easier. I surfed it in everything from knee to double overhead and would have stuck to it had I not seen the outline and volume in the C.C. I looked at one in Byron Bay over Xmas and never looked back. Hands down the best board I have ridden! My 5'11 C.C with K2.1 is epic for my 80kg frame. I took a risk to go a bit bigger with more volume after having a go on the firewire volume calculator and now wish I had ridden boards with more volume years ago. I would paddle for waves previously where I would be closest to the pocket and people would be up and going down the line while I was closest to the power?!....well no more!

Comment

Ahoy,

so we are all built different , and have different levels of competence.

Last week I managed to surf the CC 6'0 in a grinding hollow overhead beachbreak, where Jordy Smith usually does his air stuff, or tucks into some nuggets. The board went really well for me. Paddled in easy, and held its rail.

I then surfed it in powerfull beachbreaks with more face. It likes a bit of power in the wave, and then one can really throw it about. Tail is nice and loose on some of the turns, so you are in for some nice surprises ! REally fun though.

The big thing is that this board seems to like a little bit more powerfull waves, and not your average sloppy surf. I will keep my Dominator 6'0 for the slop days.

Comment

I also surfed a small(waist to chest high) beachbreak but it was running down a bank, so it had some juice. It went really good on that, and i had loads of fun on it. The wave was not sloppy though.

Comment

good stuff sunscreen. Yeah i think that's fair. The more performance-like that you get in the hybrid category, them more steepness you need in a wave. The Vanguard and Chubby Chedda are both good examples of this. They have much more versatility on the small end than say an alternator or a Michel, but they definitely require a bit more speed and higher wave quality than board like the dom, spit of the potato family.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by paulnunn View Post
                              For years like everyone else on the planet I used to try to ride high performance boards in average waves. My old 6'2 x 18.5 x 2 3/8 would fly in Indo and then sink like a coin in a wishing well once home! The first of the wide, fat, ugly revolution was my Dumpster Diver, loved it but it fell to pieces after 6 months?! I then bought a 5'10 Hellfire, which made surfing average waves more fun and a hell of alot easier. I surfed it in everything from knee to double overhead and would have stuck to it had I not seen the outline and volume in the C.C. I looked at one in Byron Bay over Xmas and never looked back. Hands down the best board I have ridden! My 5'11 C.C with K2.1 is epic for my 80kg frame. I
                              took a risk to go a bit bigger with more volume after having a go on the firewire volume calculator and now wish I had ridden boards with more volume years ago. I would paddle for waves previously where I would be closest to the pocket and people would be up and going down the line while I was closest to the power?!....well no more!
                              Were those folk not dropping in on you.? Well not any more by the sounds of it.

Comment

Hi Sunscreen
                                I see you went with the 6'0 chubby 31.6 l volume. I am around 84kg and wondering if you are happy with the 6'0 as opposed to the 6'1 which the volume calc would suggest for me. I live in PE, so by default it will get used in less punchy waves than the CT beachies, but i also get out of the bay on weekends to the spots with more juice. Do you feel the 6'0 is ample volume for you in a 4/3 suit or could you go up to a 6'1 without much performance sacrifice?
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X