X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Unibrow ride reports yet?

I didn't know where else to put this thread so I put it here until Chris sets up a Unibrow category.

I keep going back to the store to look at Firewires (like I do every week) and I keep staring at this one. I'm afraid the pay the $$$ until I hear something about it.

BTW, I did get to jump on my friend's 5'11 Chubby for a couple waves. It felt like a really friendly, straight forward, short board. The slightly flatter nose rocker and slightly wider tail help you paddle in pretty easily, just a little more work than the Dominator, but much easier than an Alternator. What Chris said rings true, it'll surf as good as you can.

Took some pics: Dominator vs Unibrow
    Attachment
    Attached Files

Comment

Dominator Unibrow Chubby
      Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

Chubby Unibrow Dominator
        Attachment
        Attached Files

Comment

any pics of bottom view or tail thickness ?

Comment

how big is that chedda?.. looks massive in that pic

how did the 5'11 chedda feel to you? big?

Comment

-5'10 Dom
              -5'11 Unibrow
              -6'0 Chubby

It's hard to compare with the camera angle but I couldn't maneuver around much with all their displays.

Comment

Brilliant pics csarqui thanks!

CC looks like a great shape! Think I am going to get one later in the year for the head to head and a 1/2 range and for smaller days when I travel when it's not good/big enough for a step up.

Intersting that last month you were after the CC but having ridden one and having compared one to the unibrow you seem really intersted in the unibrow?
                I seem to be going the other way - firstly into the unibrow now leaning towards the CC.

Comment

I think that I'm just addicted to surfboards. Especially Firewires. In this case my local shop has the Unibrow in my size (5'10) but they don't have the CC (5'11), because my buddy bought it. The board is bright white, and shiny, and talks to me in my sleep. And I have a surf trip coming up in April which helps me justify the purchase :) It's worth it if the board works for me, but if doesn't.....arg.....I've done that too many times.

Comment

Technograin Unibrow! I didn't even know this was happening. I'm going to have to stop by the store on the way home from work and check these out: http://www.surfride.com/getsearchres...ames&submit=GO

Comment

i jizzed when i saw the technograin UB.....

Comment

I picked one of them up at the shop last night. I think it was the lightest surfboard I've ever held. I hope Firewire does a longboard out of this tech. If they do, I'm buying.

Comment

i don't know if anybody hit on this yet but which board is a better paddler the uni or cc?

Comment

I rode both the Unibrow and CC last weekend at the demo at County Line near Malibu. I rode the 5.10 CC and 5.9 Unibrow so both were 28.7L. Personally I thought the unibrow paddled better with more volume through the middle of the board but each paddled well. My take was the Unibrow had more of a performance hybrid feel and the CC had more shortboard DNA. I only rode each for about an hour in packed shoulder to head high surf so my sample was limited.

I have to say that when I switched to the Unibrow a set came to me and I got a sick right. I am an intermediate surfer but felt I surfed the wave as well as good as I can remember surfing a wave. The board was really fast off the drop and with the sensitized tail it was super responsive. I set it on rail in good bottom turn to do a big roundhouse cutty. I went at it hard and sprayed some guy paddling over the wave on the shoulder. I had so much speed I linked the roundhouse off the bottom coming back in to the pocket to a little backhand snap. Then I setup for a snap at the section coming at me and stuck it. For me that was a great wave especially in a demo.

I am sure the CC would have gone equally as well if I had caught a set but i felt that I had work it a little more to get it going where the unibrow went easier on its own. The waves really turned on when I was on the unibrow. I was actually considering the unibrow for my groveler because it surfed so well but I decided the 5.6 potatonator would cover more needs as I already have a 6.1 hellrazor. Hopefully a unibrow will make it into my quiver soon!

BTW my father who is 56, surfs well, and can paddle like crazy rode the 5.11 unibrow on Sunday at C Street in Ventrua and he loved it. He is around 180 and more of a stationary/backfooted surfer from his longboard days (he doesn't pump well) but managed to get some good turns and caught a ton of waves. Demo them if you can but I don't think you can wrong.

Comment

good stuff meek! we basically have the same quiver going on.. ure a bit heavier then me but we get weaker crappier waves with heavier rubber.. i'm leaning towards the 5'9 uni as a step up from my potatonator.. trying to figure out if i want techno or if i just keep it fst like my other boards
                              what fin set up did you run in the unibrow?

Comment

Working...
                              X