X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• size advice

Will probably end up getting a CC soon, (either that or a vanguard)

At 70 - 72KG/intermediate would I be best on a 5'9 or 5'10.... will mostly be used in UK waves and overseas on trips in a range of waves nothing really over head and a half.

Iv gotten on well with the vol on my dom and ef that are a similar vol to the 5'10 but cant shake the feeling that dropping to the 27.5 L of the 5'9 might be an improvement for my surfing in the long run.

However reading the comments that the tail is very sensitive makes me think maybe il be better off with the 5'10 as maybe it will be just that bit more stable especially with the extra rail length, plus the sensitivity of the tail may mean I dont need to go down further in vol then i have so far. I should feel more performance then my ef and dom based on more refined rails and the tail right?

So my question really is, with a sensitive tail and more pinched rails do I go less or more on vol. Is it likely the tail will end up making it too sensitive for an intermediate if I go low on volume?

Im probably over thinking it and both will work, too many choices creates too many questions for me

cheers

IMO, volume is like the placebo effect. if the waves r cranking, u dont need a lot of volume. from what i noticed about the CC, it looks like an all-arounder. since u already have boards for overhead waves and grovelers, maybe u shud consider more high performance or not worry about dropping in volume for the days when the waves r happening

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
      IMO, volume is like the placebo effect. if the waves r cranking, u dont need a lot of volume. from what i noticed about the CC, it looks like an all-arounder. since u already have boards for overhead waves and grovelers, maybe u shud consider more high performance or not worry about dropping in volume for the days when the waves r happening
      Good points, I know what you mean you get yourself into a rut if you think about it to much, I suppose I still dont know what my perfect vol is, at the mo my boards range from 32 - 28 and I like them all, I know Id never go above 32 but not sure how low i might go yet.

I thought about getting rid of the dom and the ef if I got the CC, but I think if i do go a little lower on vol with the CC and use it for slighlty more better shaped waves and keep hold of the EF for when its a bit more borderline weak il be covered and have a spare board, the dom may have to that means.

Definelty think the vanguard is the way to go for a true HP stick though, said to be both user freindly and super HP, sounds like you cant go wrong, although I would like to hear a few more rider reports before trying out something of that shape, too many choices on all fronts.

Comment

I am thinking of doing exactly the same thing Matt.
        Going a little smaller in the CC or maybe a MD to get better performance out of them in the head to head and a half.
        and let my dom (or possibly a spit if I swap the dom!) do their thing in the waves they were designed for.

Comment

Yeah you could easily drop to the 509, especially if your intention is to use it in better waves. I'd buy one as my small but shapely wave shortboard so I'd go for the 5'10 myself, but I do have quite a few kgs on you.

Comment

i dont want to b the one to say the VG will b good for anyone. i do know that i really enjoy it though. i've ridden it from 2' - 6' hawaiian and its been great. as u can imagine at 4' - 6' it gets a lil nuts and i probably wud b better off w a HR/ ALT/ or something w a lil more length. i guess that's my point. we all know as u build a quiver we're all guilty of having similar boards for similar waves. for example, at 4' and up, i can use the SF, ADD, or 3 different PU boards, but i guarantee that at 4' and under, its all VG no matter hollow, fat, mushy, or whatever. btw, i really did like the hands on feel of the CC and PN tho.

Comment

thanks for the thoughts guys, Il def get a 5'9 or 5'10 CC, going to give it just a tad more thought on size

im thinking the 5'10 will give me a bit more forgiveness/stability over the 5'9. am I right in thinking the bigger size will be more forgiving? or will it be less forgiving as im trying to push more foam around?

my magic board before using firewires was a stuart FX-1 (6.1, 19 1/4, 2 1/2) http://www.stuartsurf.com.au/boarddetails.php?id=3

Although they dont list the ltrs, im assuming by thier size recommendations on that page at 72KGs it was probably a little big for me in hindsight but it went well and always felt better then any of the HP boards i tried to use over the years

Iv def enjoyed the EF, DOM and potato greatly but I think the shape of the CC will be closer to the FX-1 and maybe blend the all round magic of that board that has since fallen apart with the technology I love from my FWs

What do you think or is there another FW board that would come closer? il probably still get the CC regardless this board is calling to me

Comment

510 will have the advantage in weaker waves the 509 will be easier to whip around in punchy little pockets.
                In bigger conditions the extra rail line of the 5'10 would be good, but the extra volume could make it feel a bit chunky when turning hard at speed.

At your height and weight I'd go 509, unless you found your dominator to be lacking sufficient volume.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                  510 will have the advantage in weaker waves the 509 will be easier to whip around in punchy little pockets.
                  In bigger conditions the extra rail line of the 5'10 would be good, but the extra volume could make it feel a bit chunky when turning hard at speed.

At your height and weight I'd go 509, unless you found your dominator to be lacking sufficient volume.
                  Cheers PRJ i think il take your advice. I guess me being 5'9 makes it a decent length for my height anyway. I think the dom volume is good, Im getting plenty of waves in a 6mm boots/gloves even when im relativley unfit so Im not worried dropping a bit of vol for paddling sake, just hope i have the skills to ride something that low in vol, but if its the right size for my body then il grow into it im sure

Comment

My Dominator/spitfire was always a good 3-4l more volume than my higher performance boards. I always feel better on lower volume boards unless the waves are really slow.
                    If your prefer a little more volume the 510 will still be a good one, but I believe it has more volume than the 506 Dom so could feel big. Check out both in the flesh if you can.

Comment

Do you know if down the line had a 5'9 and 5'10 in? I might be down that way at the weekend, its looking good on the forecasts. Can't decide between Cornwall Devon or Wales (coming from London) off shore winds and swell for all, happy days!

Comment

North Cornwall and Devon may well get the best of the swell with the SW direction. It seems to wrap in better a little further up.
                        That said there's plenty of size forecast for Saturday.

I'm not sure what DTL have in stock, I'll see what I can find out.

Comment

Lived in South Wales for 3 years. Plenty of great reefs if you know where to look!
                          If there is plenty of swell it all comes down to wind between Wales, Devon and Cornwall. If there is any north in the wind Cornwall and Devon can get messy but Wales will come alive as many of the best reefs face south or south west.
                          However, if there is any south in the wind then devon and cornwall are the best bet.
                          Not as many firewire stockists in Wales either.
                          If you head to N Devon Shore2surf in Woolacombe have hundreds of them. They have just taken a big delivery as I am heading down there to check the sub s vs the unibrow. Not sure what they are getting by way of CC's in this stock though. Rich is the man to talk to and is very knowledgeable and helpful if you give them a call.

Comment

Yeah Fri/Sat SE winds prob aren't going to be ideal for Wales. Although as it goes more E/NE Sunday it could be on.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                              Yeah Fri/Sat SE winds prob aren't going to be ideal for Wales. Although as it goes more E/NE Sunday it could be on.
                              think il make the extra miles down to devon or cornwall, it will be worth it I recon, you must be stoked at the forecast with your new vanguard

Comment

Working...
                              X