Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chubby Chedda & PotatoNator - too much overlap?

I was planning on getting myself a 6' 2" Chubby Chedda and a 5' 8"/5'10"? PotatoNator. Its my first introduction to Firewire boards & I haven't been able to try a demo model of either. I am wondering whether there is too much overlap between these 2 boards in terms of the types of waves they are suited to - are they both gonna fill the same niche? I fear that I will end up never using one of them - what do you think?
    Also, as an aside, i figured out the sizes to go for based on the firewire volume calculator - i'm 6', approaching 40 and fit, but my surfing hasn't progressed much beyond bottom turns & some mediocre turns off the top - do you reckon I'm looking at boards with the right sort of volume?

Thanks heaps for any info/advice/opinions you can give!

what do you weigh??

Comment

I reckon those boards have the makings of a great quiver up to 1.5x overhead or so. Perfect.

In terms of lengths they look about right but it turns on your weight. How much do you weigh?

Comment

Ah - yes - missed that bit - I'm in the 75-80 kg range.

Comment

I would think those lengths will be ok at your weight. What type of waves are you riding, beachies, reefs steep sucky or mush?

Comment

I'm down south in VIC, surfing a mix of reefs & beachies. I don't tend to put myself out amongst waves that are more than 1.5 x head height and usually rampy reef waves when it is that big. The beachies tend to be steeper and can get a bit hollow, but I'm not usually out in them if its over head height. I get waves around the surf coast, mornington & phillip island mostly, but would want the Chedda to be versatile enough to travel with a bit.

Comment

5'8" or 5'10" would be fine on the Potatonator. In the CC somewhere in the 6'0" to 6'2" lengths would work. I think the longer lengths are on the more conservative side in that you may be sacrificing performance for paddling power, but I can understand why you might want to keep a bit of beef on the board. Is it possible to demo a Firewire - any model would do - in a volume close to the ones you have in mind? That would give you a better idea on paddle ability and performance.

Comment

i want to go potatonator/ chedda combo eventually once i get the money.. and use my razor if its hollow and the sweet if i don't sell it when its almost flat i happen to b at the beach

Comment

Hi Het.

I have a PN and a SC which is very similar to the CC. I us the SC as a short HP board in better surf. I keep the PN for smaller surf or when it’s onshore not so good. I also think the PN is great to hone your skills on and later transfer to the CC.
                  I was also guilty of just doing bottom turns and weaker off the top,s. The PN encourages you to try more maneuvers making you a better surfer.
                  Any time I have a bad surf session on any of my other boards the PN is dragged out and all is well again.
                  Size wise the 508 is a lot of board. I had one and sold very quickly I am 70kgs just 5 less that you and I am currently looking at downsizing to a 504. The board is that good.

Comment

pmorgan i see your 5'6 potatonator is for sale, can i ask how you found it size wise? compared to the 5'4, im around your size but a little taller and have been looking at both sizes. Is there a lot of difference in the way they ride?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_s View Post
                      pmorgan i see your 5'6 potatonator is for sale, can i ask how you found it size wise? compared to the 5'4, im around your size but a little taller and have been looking at both sizes. Is there a lot of difference in the way they ride?
                      Hi Matt I would say that there is not so much difference between the 504 and 506 one riding the wave the 504 is looser and a easer for me to put on rail.
                      The 506 paddles better but both catch waves super easy.
                      On the 504 i just have to be a bit deeper on the peak but once up an running the board flys over flat sections.

I find that for me the main reason for selling the 506 is that I found that when I jumped onto my sub the sub felt tiny and twitchy.
                      The transition between the 504 and the sub is seamless. I might have been in my head but its how I feel.
                      I you are a touch heavier that me you will have no probs on the 506.

Comment

Thanks pmorgan, Appeeciate the feedback. I'm now decided on a BP 5'1 timbertek at 29.3 volume(deposits down) It's ashame because I found a 2nd hand fst potatonator 5'4 mint condition for 375. But I'm thinking that since I enjoyed the sp so much il go with the BP and when I nail my choice UB or CC for anything over chest high which will mean too many choices with a potatonator as well. However I have to try hard not to buy one as well anyway :)!

Comment

If you love the Potato, get the Vanguard. Trust me! It's like the perfect extension of that feeling into good waves and higher performance.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                            If you love the Potato, get the Vanguard. Trust me! It's like the perfect extension of that feeling into good waves and higher performance.
                            thanks PRJ, i will certainly try out the demo down at DTL before I jump on my next HP purchase, I love the SP so much I often surf it in waves I should be on other boards, I have always thought of myself as a front foot surfer being goofy with strongest leg forward but maybe i'm more rear footed as the sp just works so well for me

the only things that put me off the VG a little bit are the width is 18 3/4, I'v never really got on on anything so narrow, does it actually feel wider than that because of the shape?

Also im thinking I need something around 27L but everyone surfing the 5'6 is a fair bit heavier than me, but the 5'4 seems so low on volume(although it could work), i'm thinking the V4 could be the answer as the 5'10 is in the 27L range and would have length to cover me for bigger waves

hoping for waves bank holiday weekend and a VG demo

Comment

It doesn't feel super narrow because of the parallel template. It's responsive but stable.
                              Based on the fact that iggy is nearly 90kg currently and on the 506 in a 6/5/4 and fresh water, I think the 504 should be plenty for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X