Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Chubby the right board for me? Please help!

Hi all, I am trying to decide if a chubby chedda is the right board for me? I am 5'11 and 66kgs and intermediate to advanced. I was really keen on firewires but ended up buying a Superbrand Vapour because that's what my local shop had. My previous small wave board was a Fullcircle 5'8, 19, 2.25 im not sure of the volume but I really liked the board. The vapour I just brought is 5'8, 19.25, 2.25 @ 25.45 litres.
    http://www.superbranded.com/surf/boa...on/supervapors

While I think the volume is pretty good, the board just doesn't feel responsive enough. It catches waves real easy but it just feels real stiff/slow when trying to get the tail around on turns/cutbacks, really regretting the purchase.
    I am looking at selling the Vapour and ordering the CC in a 5'7, 19, 2.25 @ 25.5l, pretty much the exact volume as the Super Vapour.

My question is even though the CC is the same volume would it be more responsive? I have heard that the tail is quite loose and responsive? I am aiming for a small wave board that is more like a shortboard made for small waves that you can throw around, rather than a performance hybrid such as a Spitfire.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks guys!
    Last edited by Stoop-a-loop; 04-05-2013, 04:27 AM.

Sounds good to me!

Comment

are the rails chunky or pretty refined? my problem is that I have to order the board without seeing it. Im mad keen on joining the firewire team though!
      Last edited by Stoop-a-loop; 04-05-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

They are a bit of both if that makes sense. Not surfed one but had a good look last weekend when deciding between the CC, sub and unibrow. The tail in the CC is sharp like an HPSB (more refined than the other two boards) and this sharpness is kept a good way up the board. However, it does carry more foam than a HPSB from in front if the front fins where the rails are sharp but quite thick. It does then thin out considerably after that point moving towards the tail. So think of it like a HPSB but with more foam from the bump in the tail forwards.

Comment

How do firewires in general go when it is a bit choppy and windy? Do they get a bit corky like the old tufflights did?

Comment

Nah nothing like a tuflite

Comment

Cool thanks Prjwebb I am very close to ordering the chedder. How does the FST compare to the Rapidfire price wise? Much difference?

Comment

Depends where you are in the world, FST is a little more but worth every penny in my opinion.
                Strong, good weight and very natural feeling flex response.

Comment

Man you Firewire guys are quick on the reply, its wicked! Do firewire boards tend to age better than standard glass boards? If so it sounds like the extra coin is worth it in the long run?

Comment

FST lasts so much longer than PU not only in terms of delam and dings but in flex too. They just feel new for so much longer and they hold their value well too.

Comment

How does the FST compare to glass boards in regard to weight? Would they be lighter or heavier than a glass board of the same size?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoop-a-loop View Post
                        How does the FST compare to glass boards in regard to weight? Would they be lighter or heavier than a glass board of the same size?
                        Quite a bit lighter unless its a team glassed poly.

Comment

The sub scorcher has also got my interest. By the sound of it the boards are quite similar. The Sub at 5'6 @ 25.2 litres and the Chedda at 5'7 @ 25.5 litres.

Being 5'11 and 66kg I could surf either of the two boards according to volume... The question is would I be better off going the 5'7 Chedda because of the extra length, being quite tall for my weight? Or is it more of a case of 'splitting hairs' between these two boards?
                          Stoop....

Comment

Which of the two boards would be more responsive/loose?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoop-a-loop View Post
                              Which of the two boards would be more responsive/loose?
                              I would think looking at the board profiles the Cc is more responsive. I have not ridden one but going by the stability rating it looks the looser board. I ride a 508 SS and it's no pig eather more Hpsb squashed down.

Comment

Working...
                              X