Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chedda on the way... But what fins?

Hi guys,
    This afternoon I became part of the Firewire gang and ordered a 5'7 Chubby Chedda and should have it within the week. It is my first ever firewire so I am pretty exited and hopefully the boards goes good for me.

I will need to buy a set of futures for the board to suit roughly waist to shoulder/head size waves.
    Which fins would suit the board?
    I wouldn't know where to start because I have only ever had FCS?

Hey Stoop
    If your local surf shop sells Futures fins then chances are they have a "Fin Tree".
    The fins hanging on the tree are for demo purposes so grab a couple and give them a go!

Good luck and welcome to the family!

Comment

Thanks Goanna, Im really stocked to be getting a firewire. Almost feels like im a kid getting his first board again!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoop-a-loop View Post
        Thanks Goanna, Im really stocked to be getting a firewire. Almost feels like im a kid getting his first board again!
        Oh yes Stoop we all had that feeling at one time - it all starts innocently enough and then next thing - BING BAM BOOM!!!! - you don't know which one of your 5 board Firewire quiver to paddle out on after leaving your girlfriend at home cause she couldn't fit in the car!

but - we are all here for you.

Comment

Hahaha! Yeah Im already Planning on what I will be replacing my HPSB with in a Firewire model down the track. The Mrs is a bit worried im gunna put my house renovation on hold because I will be building my new Firewire quiver LOL!

Comment

You're going to be stoked on the Cheda!!

I've tried a lot of fins in this board and the fin tree is great for finding what works best for you.

My recommendations for the CC:

AM1 blackstix- go insane in the smaller stuff, knee to shoulder high. Great for generating speed and getting loose!

EA techflex- awesome in the larger wave range, head + or choppy. I've used these in the CC in up to doh surf and was very pleased.

WCT- A very pivoty fin that is fun to use especially when the wave has a lot of open face to work with. Size range I like this fin in is in between the am1 and ea.

Apparently Timmy loves the Machado's in this board. Something I'll need to try myself.

Hope that helps. Fins are very crucial to the way your board will perform. And your weig

Comment

@Stoop-a-loop,
              Based on the board size you mentioned, im assuming you are in the 135-155 lbs range? I agree with daveo about the Machados. I would also recommend F4 blackstix and S Jordy Smith.

ALOHA!!
              Last edited by hawaii_boi; 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Stoop,

I have been surfing mine with Futures AM1 Blackstix and V2F4's in hip to slightly overhead surf.

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah im a 145 pounds, I will definitely try and demo a few sets. Would it be worth looking at a set for small mushy stuff, plus a set for shoulder/head clean running off sort of waves? Or could I find a good all rounder?

Comment

@Stoop...
                    Most if not all blackstix fins would be good to look at. The V2 foil allows you to generate speed on small or big waves. Just browsed the Futures 2013 catalog...AM1 blackstix and Jordy Smith S looks like great fins to demo. Let us know how it goes!

ALOHA!!

Comment

What about FCS for a 5'11 Chubby Chedda?

Sam Lamiroy is using his with PC5.... I'm selling the alternator and have already promised the PC5 set I have to go with the board. Should I order a new set? Also have the K3 and K2.1 in PC...

Comment

@ hawaii_boi, i know hawaiian south shore has all 3 JS fins in stock for some time now

Comment

@fokaiHI, HSS has a great selection but i can't afford their prices. I just ordered Jordy Medium size a few days ago from a friend of a friend of a friend again so anxiously waiting for em :D Thanks for the info though!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post

Sam Lamiroy is using his with PC5.... I'm selling the alternator and have already promised the PC5 set I have to go with the board. Should I order a new set? Also have the K3 and K2.1 in PC...
                            I'd run the K 3

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post

Erling - Good to know...I am getting a set of PC3's tomorrow! I have been using K2.1's and like them, still haven't tried my AM3's but when I do I will report.
                              What else did Sam have to say about the CC?

I am really loving this board!
                              Last edited by delmarsurfer; 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X