Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chubby Chedda size?

Hi Guys

I'm about to buy my second Firewire, and am concerned that it may have too much volume. I currently ride a 5'10" Flexfire (22.8l) and am planing to get the 5'7" Chubby Chedda (25.5l). I'm 33 years old, 5"9", weigh 150 pounds and have been surfing for 25 years. I'm looking for a board for waist to head-high beachbreaks for high performance surfing.

I really enjoy the flexfire in good waves, but in average waves it is very unforgiving. When you get it right its spectacular, but get it wrong and its spectacularly bad.

Would the 5'6 be better suited?

MarkJ - I think the 5'7 is perfect for you!
    I weigh 140+/- and ride the 5'6 CC ...it is awesome! I demo'd the 5'7 and it was just a bit too much volume for me.
    Seems like you prefer lower volume boards so could go 5'6 but 5'7 would be my vote.
    Any chance you can demo one first?

Comment

Hi Delmarsurfer.
      I just ordered a 5'7 Chedda as well, at 145 pounds and 5'11.
      How does it paddle? Does it catch waves pretty easy?

Comment

Stoop-a-loop: the 5'7 is probably good for your weight but you're pretty tall. The board paddles great and is a great combination of paddling ability and performance. I really love mine and can't wait for my next surf. I have used it in everything from thigh to overhead and it goes great! I got into a solid head high wave a week ago and the board was flying. It could totally handle more and I look forward to pushing it further.

Comment

Delmarsurfer-
          I think the length should be pretty good, my last two small wave boards have both been 5'8. My last board a 'Super Vapour' was a 5'8, 19.25, 2.25 @25.45 litres which paddled unreal but turned like a boat.
          So while the Chedda is an inch smaller, it has the same volume so hopefully it paddles well? but is a bit more responsive with those nice rails?

Comment

Stoop-a-loop: if you're good with length I think the volume will be great. This one won't turn like a boat!
            May not paddle like your last board but paddles very well and after a few surfs you will be dialed in.
            The rails are nice and the board is super responsive.
            I think you're going to be very happy. It's a great board and I get more stoked every time I ride mine.

Comment

Originally posted by delmarsurfer View Post
              MarkJ - I think the 5'7 is perfect for you!
              I weigh 140+/- and ride the 5'6 CC ...it is awesome! I demo'd the 5'7 and it was just a bit too much volume for me.
              Seems like you prefer lower volume boards so could go 5'6 but 5'7 would be my vote.
              Any chance you can demo one first?
              Thanks delmarsurfer. I managed to ride a friends 5'7" 28l CIS Neckbeard this weekend and it had way too much volume for me. The 5'6" has an extra 1.8l over my flexfire, which is already quite a bit. I've decided to wait the extra 6 weeks and order the 5'6".

I swapped the back fin on my flexfire from a F4 to a small kite fin and it has completely changed the board. Much more release on top turns and reverses, without sliding out on bottom turns. I am in love with my board again!

Comment

Working...
              X