Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Chubby Chedda vs. Unibrow - Which is more performance oriented? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chubby Chedda vs. Unibrow - Which is more performance oriented?

Assuming they are both more or less the same size, in this case 5'10" or 5'11", which is more performance oriented? The Chubby Chedda or the Unibrow?
    My quiver will consist of a Baked Potato 5'3" and a Spitfire 5'8" plus a performance hybrid closer to 6'0". I'm trying to space the gap more up from the Spitfire but don't want to go all the way up to a performance shortboard as they usually just sit in my garage and collect dust and then get stolen by some A$5#0!3.

Been going nuts and want to get in the water ASAP.

I reckon you could put them both is the same performance range, they are just going to suit different styles. The CC is wide point forward with quite a bit of tail rocker, think front foot drive with rear foot jams in the pocket, good release with the squash tail, good punting board etc. And the UB is wide point back, smooth elliptical outline and will probably ride well off the back foot and love linking nice carves and wrapping turns.
    That said, the UB has enough tail rocker and refined enough rails to get tight in the pocket too, and both boards are capable of doing it all in medium sized waves but based on the outlines that's how I'd envision the boards differing.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Phill - Yesterday I was eyeing out a CC and I really like the shape. It's one of those shapes where you are positive it's a great board based on that alone. Kinda wish it had a 5-fin option, but it's also nice having a simple board that you can just "GO" without worrying about what fin set up I should be running or any of that crap.

I'm thinking 5'11", but it looks like a 5'10" might be just as good. I'm 170lbs, 5'10".

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I REALLY like the look of the CC. If I could justify having another board I'm sure that would be it. I'm the same weight but a bit taller, I'd go 5'10 but I think you said you prefer a touch more volume to me. Though I was looking at the 5'9 also.

I was thinking about a 5'11 uni or a 6'0 cc. Does the uni have a significantly lower amount of tail rocker than the cc or is there not much between the 2.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure the UB still has a good amount of tail rocker, I think it has a little more balanced rocker though whereas the CC is lower in the nose and more in the tail.

I decided against the Chubby Chedda... But still on the fence about running a Uni 5'9" or 5'10" alongside a Spitfire 5'8". They might be close, but I think the Unibrow would kill it in slightly bigger / hollower stuff.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        If you're getting a BP personally I'd skip the SP and go straight for the UB. I think the BP will work right up to where the UB will take over without any issues. If down the line you feel like you're lacking in the middle there then you could always pick up a SP then.

Hmmmm.... Good point Phill - My main reason for the Spit is that I KNOW it works for me. I've owned Dominators (5'10" and 5'8"), Stealth (2x 6'0" and a 5'10"), and a 5'8" Spit. I always loved the Spit. The Unibrow might be awesome, but I'd have to run it for a while to really know.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair point. There should be plenty of demo opportunities near you though!

why fix what definitely isn't broken.

Comment

Exactly my point. This whole theft thing might allow me to experiment and try a new different board or two... But when it comes to my Spitfire 5'8". That shouldn't be changed.

Comment

rode the dom for years.. like the unibrow a lot more.. the pulled in nose and more refined rails make it work so well.. just trying to dial in the fins now..

Comment

Hey kdropin I surf my Unibrow with techflex am II and love how the board links turns flawlessly and soooo fast. I think like the Dom the Uni needs bigger fins to compensate for its volume , its worked well for me !!!

Comment

I took a calculated gamble on a CC 5'11 with EA Blackstix against a TB or MB and even though CC more expensive (shapers royalties) is best board i have ever ridden from 2 to 5ft. Below the 3ft range must go to my incredible 5'6 PN (love her)

Comment

By the way, I didn't go Unibrow or Chubby Chedda.... I went with a 5'6" Vanguard. Talk about a radical change there. Should be seeing water this weekend. I was on the Spitfire today.

Comment

I think that was a good call kiteboarder. Might as well get something exciting and different.

Comment

Haven't put the Vanguard in the water yet. I ended up putting 1 session on Saturday on the 5'8" Spit and then 2 sessions on Sunday on the 5'3" Baked. The wave count on the Baked on Sunday was 20 waves and most of them head high. I was trying to push the Baked Potato past it's comfort zone to see how it stacks up to my old 5'6" FST Retro fish.

Comment

sick quiver much?! hey phil have you tried any other fins iv just got standard F2 V4 fins in at the moment (the white plastic ones) but looking to get a nicer set...

Comment

Working...
                      X