X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's been riding the 5'8 Chedda?

Hi guys, im looking at swapping my 5'7 Chedda at 25.5 litres for a 5'8 Chedda at 26.8 litres. The 5'7 goes well for me when the waves are about shoulder and punchy but feels pretty limited. I'm thinking the extra volume will help the low end, while I could use a bit of extra length being 5'11?

Any feedback from anyone who is riding a 5'8 such as height, weight, other boards in your quiver would really help...... Thanks Stoop!

Just to clarify I will be trading in the 5'7 and buying a new 5'8. Im looking for your thoughts on the Chedda?

Comment

yo stoop, you may actually be the best person to answer your own question given that you have ridden the 507 and found it to be a touch too small. I think if you are on that sized board and it feels a touch to small in weaker conditions, going up one size will definitely help you address the area you are looking for improvements in while not sacrificing the higher end performance.

for the sake of the conversation though, throw your weight into the mix.

Comment

Thanks Chris,
        I'm 5'11, 66kg. The 5'8 would definitely give me better low end but i'm not sure if I can get away with just the chedda as my small wave board? Ideally I think I would like a performance hybrid about 26 litres then a full on groveler about 27 litres . Unfortunately due to being tall and light and most firewires sizes varying by 2 inches I seem to fall inbetween sizes on most boards.

Comment

Yo stoop,

Im shorter and chunkier than you at around 5'7 and 70kg i recently bought a 5'9 chedda (27L) and feel this is the perfect volume for me to have it as an all rounder performance hybrid.

Pretty impressed with how well it goes in the smaller stuff (flat nose rocker really comes into its own!) and never feels too corky but i supppose its all gonna be about sacrifice and how low do you wanna go?!

Youv got a bit more length to you though which i suppose has to be considered too... hope thats helped a bit!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Nelson. What other boards do you ride?
            Sorry about so many questions guys I never get to check out Firewires in my size range in the flesh, so there's a fair bit of guess work?

Comment

I'm thinking if I went the Potatonator I would be riding a 5'4 according to volume. How do you find the length of your Potatonator Phil? Doesn't feel to short being 6ft?

Comment

well before i had a 508 spitfire rapidfire tech. it was great and i learnt loads but it was too much volume and i way prefer the more flexy fst tech... my chubby chedda is 3.5L less volume but i really find it gets into waves nearly as well as the spit... i always rode the spit as a quad and i loved it but yeh, bit too corky, bit too stiff great in fat slow rollers but couldnt hack the hollow punchy stuff... which is where the chub is much better with its refined whippy tail... but still got that flat nose paddle in to waves... i love it!

anyway i sold the spit for 500aud with set of 5fins and got the as new (demo) chub for 420 with fins (laughing)!

i have also demoed a 503 rapidfire baked potato... these things are NUTS. the froth for them is definitely justified. kinda tricky getting used to catching waves on them and paddling but when you get one its ridiculous, so fast and turns so tight (it gets up on one of the concaves and pivots round the associated fins on that side is what i felt was hapening) i nearly got thrown right off on a few turns im chuckling now tihnking about how kooky i mustve looked!

anyway im looking to get a 501 timbertek BP, im about 69kg at the moment... and tihnk im gonna have so much fun trying to tame those turns and learn loads in the process :D

iv just been rambling but i hope this helps!

Comment

I ride a 509 CC and it is a fantastic board in 3-6ft surf. Also, the simple three fin setup allows you to not have to worry about wether or not to run 3, 4, or 5 fins on any given day. Based on the waves in the San Diego area, this is my go-to shortboard. You can't go wrong with the CC.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh BL View Post
                    I ride a 509 CC and it is a fantastic board in 3-6ft surf. Also, the simple three fin setup allows you to not have to worry about wether or not to run 3, 4, or 5 fins on any given day. Based on the waves in the San Diego area, this is my go-to shortboard. You can't go wrong with the CC.

- Firewire Intern Josh
                    hey josh how much do you weigh? and i'm sure you had a chance to try the unibrow.. how would you compare the two?

Comment

I weigh 165. I have had limited time on the Unibrow but a lot of time on the CC. The CC is more performance oriented because of the thinner tail. This allows you to really wrap your turns and surf in the pocket. The Unibrow has more of the hybrid DNA making it a good all around board. The Unibrow also has more foam towards the front making it better for front footed riders whereas the CC has less foam in the tail allowing you to really dig in with your back foot when you want to do powerful cutbacks or snaps.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                      X