X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what new board to make me get better

Hello, I guess I am an intermediate surfer in that when I get up on a wave I can turn and ride it somewhat. My pop up though is anything but consistent and it is not uncommon for me to wipe out right away so maybe slightly less than a firm intermediate. Currently riding a high volume 6'9" board and I can handle it reasonably consistently. I believe it has a volume of about 46 l. Looking to buy a new board to progress. I would like a board that allows to me to catch alot of waves and has good stability since I am personally not the most stable surfer ( wife says I am not stable period).
    I rode a friend's 6'6 spitfire once and liked it. He is though 175 lbs and I am only 5'7 150 lbs (51 yo btw). A 6'6" spifire has a volume of just over 45 and I am concerned that it might be a bit too much foam to allow me to get better. I could get a 64 spitfire but I am worried I wont be able to catch as many waves (btw live n del mar, CA) Then there is there is the possibility of a 6'6" chubby or 66 activator or 67 activator. Seems like the activator and chubby are less stable boards but their volumes are more appropriate. I am thinking I need a volume of 40-42 and the formula seems to agree. I would like this board to be an all around go to board.

So 64 spit or longer chubby or activator? Have not really considered the baked potato since I don't see it as an all around board and might not be a board that is really an all rounder. Maybe that will be my next board:)

Thanks very much in advance

hi jflood,

I agree that a 606 spitfire is waaayyyyyy over volumed for you. But i think in your position you should look at a dominator, or perhaps if you can find one, an El Fuego.

size wize i'd look at a max size of 602 for the dom and 603 for the EF. They may seem small to you, but at your weight they will offer plenty of float. The 603 EF would be a great option as it has a low entry rocker to paddle really easy, plenty of foam under your chest, a more pulled in tail with the option of diamond or swallow tail. Both of these boards will allow you to improve your surfing quite rapidly, and won't hold you back too much by being as over foamed as the 604 or 606 dom/spitfire.

Just remember when it comes to wave catching, volume isn't everything. The rocker of the board, and foam distribution are much more important. As someone has said before, if you had a 50L malibu and a 50L beach ball which one do you think will catch waves easier? It doesn't all come down to volume ;)

Comment

Uh oh..as if I didn't have enough choices already :)
      One thing about the el fuego that worries me is that the rocker is indeed very low entry. I have the disturbing habit of late takeoffs some would describe of a lack of forethought. The ELF may be worse for that as opposed to the dom or spit.

So what do you think of a 606 chubby or 604 spit?

Comment

The CC is a great all around board, but that board sounds a bit too high performance based on your stats. The Dominator or Addvance will give you a much greater wave count (the Addvance more so), which is what you need when you want to get better. The Addvance will be much more stable than the SF you rode, and will allow you to practice your pop-up until you have it mastered. Getting up and staying stable on your board is the first step, so I would not recommend jumping to a SF quite yet. That is a better transition board for once you are consistently getting up and riding down the line. The Dominator will be a little more difficult to stand up on than the Addvance, but will give you more versatility once you have it dialed in. The learning curve on the SF is steeper than the Dominator, and the Dominator is a bit more challenging that the Addvance. You just have to decide what type of challenge you are up for.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

awesome answers. Josh I don't think I will go the aadvance because I don't want to...
          now a dom is a different story. With all due respect to Master Justo what size Dom do you think; I am thinking 604

Comment

Hi jflood. At the end of the day you need to get what you're comfortable with. From my pov a 602 will be good.

Comment

I agree with justo on the 602. If you can get to a Firewire demo close to you, I always suggest to people to try the boards out before making the purchase just to make sure it's what you want.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Great. I went back to my friend and tried out his 606 dominator again and I liked it alot. I agree with both of you guys that at 606 it is too floaty and I need shorter.
                Do any of you worry about me not catching as many waves on the 604 vs the 606?
                And again many thanks

Comment

jflood, you will be catching waves on a 510 if you really wanted to. to give you an idea. I'm 100kg (220lb) and have no trouble catching waves on my 600 spitfire. My shoulders are buggered after multiple dislocations, and one of them got shattered in a motorcycle accident as well...

If you go too big, it will impact your ability to catch waves. Reason being, instead of falling into the face of the wave, you will float over the back and need to paddle extra hard to get in! Longboards dont have this problem because of their length, weight, and design.

Comment

Working...
                  X