X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chubby Chedda Size Help

I've noticed that there is a big jump in volume between the 5'10 and 5'11 CC. I've been wanting something in the 29's for volume, so I'm not sure whether the 5'10 or 5'11 would suit me better. I am 5'9 and about 160lbs (73 kg). However, I surf in the cold waters of the pacific northwest, so I wear either a 4/3 or 5/4 wetsuit with hood and booties. My normal short board is a 6'1 x 18 7/8 x 2 3/8.

im 83 kilo 6'0 tall and ride a 6'0 chubby chedda, recon i should have deffo went 5'11 if not 5'10 ... my last board was a 6'1 hellrazor @29.1 with more rocker so should have been on the same volume or less with a flatter board! .. the board is amazin tho.. maldives for my in 10 day yeeaw!!!!

Comment

Along similar lines, I'd like some advice in regards to sizing. I'm about 168cm / 62kg / 32yo (5'6 / 145) in pretty good shape. I'm more or less an intermediate - not solid intermediate though. Pop up is OK, ride down the line, making some turns, trying to go more top to bottom.

At the moment I'm riding a 5'7 Activator, which I love and has improved my surfing loads - I had a 5'10 Hellfire before that, which I didn't really get along with. I want to get another board for the better days. Apart from board performance I also think the 5'7 Activator has a bit too much volume, I find it a little difficult to duck dive deep enough when the surf is bigger (though I'm sure a lot of that also comes down to technique).

So - am between the 5'6 or 5'7 CC. Obviously I still need to paddle the thing, but I definitely prefer shorter boards as I'm not a tall guy. My Activator is about 27.5L, the 5'6 is about 24.2, the 5'7 25.5. How does the CC paddle compared to the Activator? Other than that, would the 5'6 compromise me too much when the surf is better (mind you I don't really want to surf much more than 1-2ft overhead)? Of course the ideal would be to demo them, but since I travel a lot with work that's not a possibility. Any advice is welcome.

Comment

With your CC, you want to ride it at least 2 inches shorter than your standard shortboard. I ride a 509 (about 3 inches shorter than me), and love it - currently my favorite board in my quiver! That being said, Meangene - I think you would be happier with the 510. That extra rubber for the cold will just make you float more making the board sit higher, so you won't have an issue paddling it.

Phase - Based on your stats and skill level, the 506 sounds good for you. The CC will wold in 1-2ft overhead surf. I've definitely taken mine out on those days and had a blast. I just stick in a little bigger fin and you're golden. The Activator will paddle a little better than the CC, but the CC is still a great paddler. Remember, the CC is still classified as a "performance hybrid", meaning it has some of that "groveliness" built into it for paddle power and speed, combined with the attributes of a high performance shortboard.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Sweet thanks! I just ordered a 5'10 CC, and I can't wait for it to get here.

Comment

meangene give some solid feedback on it when u get a chance.. i'm eying one up either a 5'10 or even 5'9.. i'm about your weight couple pounds heavier at times but also throw on the heavy rubber during the winter here in the northeast usa (might just keep my unibrow for those days)... u however surf stronger waves for the most part on the west coast..

Comment

Sure thing kdropin. I'll keep you posted

Comment

Cheers Josh, appreciate the advice

Comment

I`m 5'10 and around 155lbs and looking for the CC. With size would you recommend me and with board to cover the next wave size range?

Comment

Working...
                  X