Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What board as a "step up" from a Chubby Chedda?

I am loving my 5'11" Chubby, but noticed it started to get a little squirly on a 6-7 ft day. I know the Futures YU fins I had that day weren't ideal, but I am now looking for a Firewire board for the overhead to double overhead days. I'm 5'11 and 175lbs. What boards do you recommend and what size? The Chubby is 30.9L and feels spot on for my weight and intermediate ability.

Thanks in advance for the help!

So many choices - MD if you ask me - 6'0"
    Last edited by Goanna; 11-13-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

​MD is a good board as Goanna said, and I would also look into the HZ. I know exactly what you're talking about - how the CC feels a little squirly at that size. Were you using large or medium fins that day?

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• Jasone510
        Jasone510 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had medium fins, futures YU in honeycomb. Perfect for the 3-5ft days, felt like I was on the brink of sliding out on the bottom turns on the 6-7ft day.

The Hellrazor is actually at the top of my list right now. Can't decide between the 6'1 or 6'3 if I go that route. The MD looks good, but I was looking for something in the 6'1-6'3 range. I want a little more length to help with paddling on the bigger days when the currents are moving a lot more water. What do you think? Do I keep the same volume with added length and slight add to width OR add length keep same width with a slight drop in volume?

Agreed, mediums for the 3-5ft days and that board is magic. Throw in some large fins and that helps a bit, but obviously that'd be maxing out the range of that board in 6-7ft surf. For the HZ, I'd probably go with the 601. If you've found a volume that works well for you, I would stay aligned with that volume in your board choices. Personally, I don't like to have too much board, and the good thing with the HZ is that it won't slip out on you in the larger stuff because of its shape.

- Firewire Intern Josh
      Last edited by Josh BL; 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Jasone510
        Jasone510 commented
        Editing a comment
        6'1" it is...That is, IF I go with the Hellrazor. I've also started looking at the Michel Bourez in the 6'2" thin (6' 2"x19"x2-7/16" at 29.8L). How would the HZ and MB compare?

• guigoon
        guigoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Bizare, in the detailed description of HZ, it is mentioned that : "While it's virtually impossible to design a single board that will handle every type of wave between 3' and 6', the HELL RAZOR comes 'razor' close", let be the same range of use, in a little near, as CC. What do you mean in larger stuff for this board ?

• Josh BL
        Josh BL commented
        Editing a comment
        Jasone510 - The MB feels a bit more high performancy (more rocker, thinner, narrower, etc.) than the HZ. If the wave doesn't have enough push, the MB will be harder to ride than the HZ. So, if you want to take your HZ out when it's smaller than head high, you could still do that, whereas the MB you might find yourself getting frustrated.

Guigoon - The CC is much wider all around than the HZ. This makes the board ideal in small to medium surf. The reason why the HZ is better in the head high and head high+ range is that the tail is more drawn in and all the dimensions of the board are slimmed down to create a HPSB. Many of the wave height ranges for Firewire boards will overlap, but you also must consider wave type (hollow, mushy) and skill level, etc. when determining which board is best for the condition. Overall, I'd say the CC is good in 3-5ft. surf, and the HZ in 4-7ft. surf.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Lost rock up but no FST yet hint hint hint . It's an amazing wee board.

Comment

• Jasone510
        Jasone510 commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny you mention the rock up. I have a 6'3" Rock Up in Hydroflex Natural EPS that I'm looking to replace. It has too much volume for me, I'd love to have a 6'1" FST Rock Up.

I think it's a case of 3-5ft faces, and 3-5ft Aussie. I see the HZ as a chest high to 1.5 x overhead range board personally. The Chubby would be a little under that. Also it depends on the waves. If they are steep and barreling I'd feel better on a 5'11 HZ than a 5'8 CC.

Comment

I weigh 170 and love the 6'1 Hellrazor on steep hollow waves. The board has high performance rocker in the nose so it fits well into steep waves, stays under foot on late drops, and my favorite part is the step down rails in the tail you can really feel the bite.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. I decided to talk to a local shaper and will be going with a 6'2" round tail thruster.

Comment

Working...
          X