X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chubby chedda size

So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a cc just need to get the size right. I'm 5'8 170 lbs, 43 years, been surfing since I was a grom. My favorite hpsb is my 6'1 Hellrazor which has 29 liters of volume, My favorite grovel board is my 5'2 sweet potatoe 32 liters, so I would go either 5'10 cc 28.8 liters, or 5'10 cc 30.9 liters. One of my questions is that the 5'11 seems a bit to thick 2.5" so I'm leaning towards the 5'10 2.38 thick, just wondering how tapered the rails and tail are, would the 5'11 have too thick of rails and tail to really gouge a turn? Advice appreciated no cc this size in the shop for me to feel up so need to make sure I get it right. Thanks!

If I was you I would go for the 5 10 cc 28,8 liters. For your weight 30,9 liters board are too much expecially if your level is intermediate advance like it should be after all those years surfing.
    I m 58 155 lbs now, I surf always with a 4/3 mm wetsuite and my surfboard is a CC 5.9 and I reckon this is the perfect volume for me (I m an intermediate level surfer). I wouldn't go bigger than 5 10 cc if I was you. I tried it once and honestly it is too tick. Also if the hellrazor 29 lt is perfect for you, I think that keeping the same volume can be the right choice

Comment

I agree with carlosannerls on this one. You've been surfing all your life so you will definitely be able to handle the 510 at 28.8 L. The CC is meant to be ridden shorter than your standard hpsb, as you mentioned above, and 3 inches shorter is about right. For example, my hpsb is 600, and my CC is 509, so for you, going from a 601 to a 510 should be good. I think you might feel like you have too much board with the 511.The tail is pretty tapered on the CC, and this allows to really get the board going when you stomp your back foot on it. Rails are pretty similar to a hpsb, maybe a little thicker. Overall, in your case, I would err on a little shorter with the CC rather than a little thicker because of how the volume is distributed on the board - this will make up for its length.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh BL View Post
        I agree with carlosannerls on this one. You've been surfing all your life so you will definitely be able to handle the 510 at 28.8 L. The CC is meant to be ridden shorter than your standard hpsb, as you mentioned above, and 3 inches shorter is about right. For example, my hpsb is 600, and my CC is 509, so for you, going from a 601 to a 510 should be good. I think you might feel like you have too much board with the 511.The tail is pretty tapered on the CC, and this allows to really get the board going when you stomp your back foot on it. Rails are pretty similar to a hpsb, maybe a little thicker. Overall, in your case, I would err on a little shorter with the CC rather than a little thicker because of how the volume is distributed on the board - this will make up for its length. - Firewire Intern Josh
        Josh, so you ride the 5'9".. I weigh in at 175 dry, 185 with the rubber.. Being a solid intermediate surfer, do you think the 5'9" would work for me? Punchy beach break..

Comment

• Josh BL
          Josh BL commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd maybe go with a 510 because you weigh a little more than me.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Hey mate i am similar to carlos in height and weight and i also ride the 509 and love it. Definitely go the 510 looks like the thickness is better and it will sit way better between your other two boards. You will love this board and youre gonna be on to a real winning quiver there! I am currently contemplating filling out either side of my CC with a baked potato and some kind of step up... hellrazor is a hot contender! How do you find it? Would love to hear a ride report and comparison once youv had a good run on the CC.

Josh what are your go tos either side of the CC? I seem to remember you are big into your potatonator? You think id be better off with the BP though. How about a VG as my step up? Currently i was tihnking 501 BP (29.3) > 509 CC (27.5) > ???!?! 511 HR (27.2) or even 509 (24.4) OR 504/3/2 VG (weird volumes/dims - 25.9/25.7/22.9)...

its a bloody minefield!

Comment

Hey Nelson. Yup you're right, my go-tos on either side of my CC 509 would be the PN 504 and the VG 503 or the HZ 511. The HZ is a really awesome short board. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I would always ride that board as my shortboad before the VG came out, and now I pretty much solely ride the VG when the waves are right. With the VG you don't have as much "wiggle room" as the HZ. It is much more crucial to keep your foot all the way at the back on the VG and your front foot equidistant from your back foot...shifting your feet too far forward will put you out of the sweet spot on the board and cause you to dig the nose or catch an edge. So, once you get your feet planted in the right spot on the VG, that's where you should stay for the duration of the wave. The HZ will feel more familiar, on the other hand, because shifting your feet forward or backward will still allow you to execute the maneuvers you're used to. The HZ is super fast and very precise. I should also add, with the VG, your tail will slide around more than the HZ. A regular snap on the VG usually pops the fins out and slides a bit, whereas the HZ won't do that unless you really crank it off the top. Overall, the HZ is a fantastic standard shortboard. If you want something straight forward, go HZ. If you want something different from what you're used to, go VG and you will not be disappointed.

As far as the PN and the BP, I don't really think there is a "better off". They will both be great in small surf. If you prefer a looser, skatey feel, go BP. If you prefer a more short-boardy feel, but with a loose tail, then go PN. I personally prefer the latter, and if the surf is too small for my PN I'm just going to log it.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Cool. Thanks man.

Thats kind of what i was expecting. I think maybe a hellrazor would be better for me to have as my standard step up. I imagine i will build a better base surfing something like that and maybe i can treat myself to a vanguard if i want to branch out. How doe sthe HZ go in a barrel? A lot of the waves here on the gold coast are sucky sand dredging pits (when they get going) so i suppose thats what im really looking for something to handle the bigger hollower days when my CC starts to feel a bit chunky and sketchy.

I suppose i really should demo! But i tihnk the HZ would be better for me for now.... also theres some cool looking tomo boards coming out soon it seems.

Do you think There would be much in it between the BP and PN in terms of smallest rideable wave? I think im gonna have to demo both around the 30L mark and see how they go... Its super small here at the moment (0.5fters!) so like you said when it gets that way i log it... im doubtful of quite how well people claim some of these small boards grovel but im sure theyre super fun in 1-2ft peelers.

Comment

Working...
            X