Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Chubby Chedda Size Question....

Hey Guys

I'm looking to buy a CC soon but just need a bit of advice on sizing and volume....

Firstly I like my volume at about 33lts as my previous boards have been a 5'8 PN and 5'10 SF and I currently ride a copy of a SF in the same dims as the 5'10....so I'm looking at the 6'0 or 6'1 CC

The volume calculator on here puts me at 33-40lts but the volume calculator that works as 36-37 x my weight which is 85kg/13.4st/187lbs puts on 31.82lts

Should I stay in the same volume as my past boards? The 6'0 is 2lts less....

I rode a friends 5'11 in 2ft wind swell and it caught waves ok but kind of ran out of speed due to my weight but was a good eye opener to how that model surfs! Also felt a 6'2 in my local shop and felt like a chunky gun coming from a stubby 5'10 SF

I surf waist to head high normally with an onshore wind and pretty slack but sometimes with a bit of power in the heavier winter swells, I also get away pretty often to the south west and abroad once or so a year....I would use it as an everyday board like the SF has been for me so 3ft and up

Feedback would be great!!! Wanna pre-order this thing!!!

Cheers!
    Last edited by GB Benny; 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM.

Can anyone give some advice or tell me their experiences on these two sizes? Really wanna put an order in next week

Comment

I'd def ride the CC a couple of litres less than the Spitfire volume. 2" longer than the SF I reckon.

Comment

• Sille
        Sille commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello i need help, sorry about my english im spanish, i want to buy a cc and i have a problem with the size, i'm 72 kg weight and 174 cm height and an intermediate level Surfing, i choose cc 5"9 or cc 5"10?

I had the 5'11 CC at 88kgs and it went well in good waves but I feel like the 6'0" would have been a better choice for the chest high waves I wanted it to excel at. The rails are pretty refined through the back half of the board, and the 6'0 and 5'11" are the same thickness, so no loss in feedback on rail either.

Comment

The 6'0 should be spot on then, you probably ride the 5'11 in much better waves to me and with me being a little lighter should go well!

Comment

Hello i need help, sorry about my english im spanish, i want to buy a cc and i have a problem with the size, i'm 72 kg weight and 174 cm height and an intermediate level Surfing, i choose cc 5"9 or cc 5"10?

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd go 5'9 but if the 5'10 feels best then it will work great too.

• Nelson GoldCoast
            Nelson GoldCoast commented
            Editing a comment
            Either will be fine, if it's for 2ft+ go with the 510 if it's for 3ft+ go for the 509. I have the 509 and I'm a little bit lighter than you at around 68-70kg I think in bigger better waves I could easily be on a 508 or 507 but the 509 is my only board and I like being able to ride it in 2ft.

I'm looking at my Chubby as my only board, apart from my log....just a bit concerned about dropping the volume for an everyday board.....

Comment

• Phill
            Phill commented
            Editing a comment
            If you're not comfortable with the volume drop then stick to what you're happy with. There would be nothing worse than getting pushed into going smaller by us forum folks and then taking it out and going, "f**k it's too small for me!"

I was hoping the 'get up and go' it has would compensate the drop....maybe I should do a bit more exercise once in a while!!

Comment

Benny i previously had a spitfire 508 (31L) which i didnt get on with, i really felt like it was no good in bigger waves and not even that good in smaller stuff. It was over volumed for me at around 69kg which was the main problem, Also i dont really like the spitfire just doesnt click with me (have ridden one more recently too) im sure for some people its a great board but i feel its a bit of a jack of all trades king of none...

Saying that i think it did help me learn a lot and improve my surfing but it wasnt the board for me...

Anyway i sold it and got a CC 509 27.5L. The difference blew me away. I think going for rapidfire to FSt was part of it but also getting a better volume and i prefer the shape. Its so much better in bigger surf but still paddles very well and i can ride it in surprisingly small surf too. I ride it in anything above 1-2ft which we have a few big volume mals and stuff around the house for.

Go with the 6.0 CC id be very suprised if you dont love it for shoulder high to well overhead its a great little board which IMO blows the spitfire out the water...

Comment

Also take a look at the sub scorcher from mayhem and the pyzalien from pyzel (when it gets released) they look like very similar boards to the CC. Theres a reason such a similar shape is so popular and so many people are frothing on these boards. I think they fit nicely in a quiver above a 1-2or3ft wave board. i am working towards a nice 3 board quiver of BP>CC>something for big/hollow/fast waves.

Comment

Yeah as long as it's good for waist high and up then I'll be happy!

Comment

Picking up my Chubby later....what fins would work well with the 6'0 with FCS? Usually go for Large being 85kg and I'm looking at MF-1, PC-7 Bamboo or G-AMs?.....thinking about trying some Mediums too or will they be too small? PC-5 look good for smaller surf....

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd go MF1 for sure. PC7 with a 5 trailer could be fun in small stuff.

MF-1's are in the sale at the mo 59 quid, sold!.......went to the Europe HQ today....was like a fricken gold mine in there! Interesting stuff

Comment

Hey Benny,
                    How did the 6-0 go??

I'm 80kg and live in southwest WA and find 30 litres to be very comfortable for most conditions
                    I made the mistake thinking I should make volume a priority now that I'm over 50 and ended up with the wrong board. The 6-2 CC I brought was way too corky.
                    I will probably be slammed for saying this but, unless it was overhead and lumpy I didn't get any paddle advantage from the extra volume, in fact, only thing I really noticed was its such a pain to duck dive.

After enjoying 5-10 scorcher, 5-10 V4, 5-6 Vanguard (not for me), 5-11 CC and 6-0 CC, I now have a 6-0 CC with WCTs to replace the 6-2 as an everyday board.

Bet you will will really enjoy itll

Comment

Hopefully be picking it up end of next week then straight to the West Country for a mission!..........felt up a Nano too which I thought I'd be all over once I'd seen it in the flesh but I wasn't, still very keen on the Chedda......I would like to hear more feedback on the Nano in average surf and probably demo it first before I'd buy one I think

Comment

Working...
                      X