X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC or UNI

Hi all Got the green light from the office of war and finance to get a new board. I posted in the uni section before, but have a different idea on what I need. I'm 100kg, 6'3" tall, intermediate, and in the water 2-3 times a week. I need the board as my 1 board quiver for waist high to around 1.5x overhead. Mostly beach breaks, but good reef breaks every few months. Needs to paddle well and catch waves easily. What board do I need? 606 chubby chedda 606 unibrow 608 unibrow Something else I'll be ordering in the next couple of days. Thanks in advance.

6'0 Nano

Comment

BFILK - is that going to paddle me ok at my size? I surf quite a crowded line up a lot of the time. I actually like the idea of a Nano, but am unsure of the boards characteristics. Something like a CC or UNI looks like a shortboard/hybrid and I'm sure would go just like one in terms of paddling, wave catching, and the way it would surf.

Comment

check out http://surfshopsaustralia.com.au/sur...bby-chedda-fst click on the BOARD CHART and see the wave types etc. This site also has a volume calculator as well as waves measured in AUSSIE measurements...

Comment

• Montygoesbananas
          Montygoesbananas commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Justo, how accurate do you reckon their Board charts are? I've been looking at them, love the idea of the charts but not sure about nano being a small wave board and only suitable up to 4ft and unibrow being good up to 6ft. Think they have applied a one size fits all to the definition they have used ie. All hybrids have same performance, high po same again, regardless of tail shape etc.

I actually reckons this forum should start up a similar FireWire performance chart and get everyone to post their impression on drive, pivot paddle etc. Would be very useful I think. Like how they measure experience as well by way of wave count and execution of manoeuvres in vol calculator.

In can't compare the two boards but I surf a 6'4" UB at 90kg so if I was 100kg I'd go to a 6'8". I surf 2-4 days a week (4 in summer, 2-3 in winter).

Comment

Yeah, obviously not 100% accurate. But I think it gives a reasonably good idea. Would be an excellent tool for firewire to use.

Comment

• pmorgan
            pmorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a cool idea been checking out some of my lost pu boards. It says the driver is low in paddle power, I would disagree there. I think it's a very user friendly Hpsb. So yea not 100% but Prity close.

Jaydog- I am 6'4 and 220 lbs (100kg) and have a 6'4 nano, I'd rather have a 6'0 but I got a deal from a buddy on the 6'4. You could compromise with the 6'2 but duck diving that puppy in 1.5 OH is going to be a btch. I surf my Nano in anything from waist high to 6 ft and its def overvol for me so anything over 6 ft and I'll be struggling to duck dive. If I was going to buy one for punchy chest high + I'd go for no > than 40 LTR. The 6'2 will paddle and float you no prob and still be a great all arounder. My 6'4 is a blast to ride, I'm actually contemplating getting a 38L Nano or V4 for those days when the surf is pumping and as far as skill level goes I suck and by no means rip. If you can bottom/top turn and your shoulders are in good shape I wouldn't go over 40L. FWIW Blackstix for weaker waves and MB2's when its pumping.

Comment

Also that link says the Nano is for small, gutless waves. I couldn't disagree more, I'd say its wave range is higher than the VG on the upside due to the additional nose rocker. I was debating between the Nano and the Uni, when I talked to Chuy this is what he said "...I would say its almost a toss of a coin between those two boards. I love both of them, but I do ride the Unibrow more than my Nano. The Nano is a better bigger wave board than the Unibrow."

Once you end up riding a tomo, nothing else feels the same. If your waves are waist high 90% of the time, get the Uni if they are chest high + most of the time w/some power you won't regret the Nano. Also you can surf it 6-8 inches shorter than the Uni which means you can dominate the board without sacrificing the paddle power. Its all part of the MPH parallel rails and Tomo's boards are legit!
            Last edited by BFILK; 05-22-2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Josh BL
              Josh BL commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with BFILK about his point that if the waves are waist high the majority of the time get a UB. For the chest high and chest high+ range, the Nano would be great (as he mentioned above), but since you're looking at the CC, the CC would be better in that range than the UB in my opinion.

I guess most of the time I'm surfing semi sucky beach breaks around stomach to chest height. I hope to get a baked potato also in several months. But as I said, paddling is essential, I don't want to miss waves. But I also don't want to ride a boat.

Comment

• BFILK
              BFILK commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're getting a BP get the CC or Nano. I have an SP, and a Nano and I'm covered up to about 1ft overhead. The BP will catch waves like a machine and over waist/chest you can switch to the CC/Nano. One thing to keep in mind is that you were worried about the Nano not being enough vol at 6'0 @39.3 L (the 6'2 is 43.8L) but the largest CC comes in at (40.9). I haven't tested it, but I'd be willing to bet the Nano at 39L surfs "bigger" than the CC at 40.9. Also, how good are you at generating your own speed? The Nano MPH is going to generate a lot of speed for you based on the parallel rails and hydrodynamic shape, the CC is going to require you to generate more of your own speed. And don't forget you'll be lugging around an extra 6" on the CC vs the Nano. I also guarantee you can do everything maneuverwise on the nano that you can on the CC and then some. Check out some of the vids of Tomo riding the nano on youtube. Just food for thought.

So you think a 600 nano would paddle a crowded line up and catch waves as well as a cc?

Comment

• BFILK
              BFILK commented
              Editing a comment
              The Nano and the CC are in the same category of Performance Hybrids, just read the description of the Nano on the FW site. If that doesn't get you super stoked I don't know what will. Can you demo these boards?

• Josh BL
              Josh BL commented
              Editing a comment

There is No doubt in my mind. If you wont surf anything over 7ft faces and you're worried about the volume get the 6'2. Its 3 L more vol than the CC and its STILL 4 inches shorter. Also, paddling is a function of fitness. The more you exercise, the more efficient you'll become. And the shorter nano will allow you to make late drops no problem, tons of speed to make sections and you won't have to be in the premier spot in the lineup to pickup waves, you can drop in late or on the shoulder and have zero problems. Also Tomo's have amazing resale value so if you end up getting a 6'2 and wanting to drop down to 6'0 you'll have no problems. Hell if you get the 6'0 and end up wanting a 6'2 i'll buy the 6'0 from you. Trust me, its that good. If you are somewhere near So Cal, I'll let you ride my 6'4. You'll get what I'm saying.
            Last edited by BFILK; 05-23-2014, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X