X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Dom size Q 170lbs 6ft

Hi all, my first post here ! gonna pull the trigger on a Dominator and need some advice on size. I've looked thru many posts and they havent quite matched my stats. 50yrs old, advanced level, surfing 37yrs, fit, surf at least 3 times a week 77kgs or 171 ish lbs. Ive got too many boards but currently favouring my JS Kingpin 6ft 19 3/4 2/12 at 31.2 litres. Im after a bit more performance than the KP, and it will be used in waist to head high average beachies. The way I surf, I seem to really match roundtails. Also like eps boards in general, as im a lightfooted type surfer, and like the quick response of them. Was stuck between the 506 or the 508. The 508 is similar vol to the Kingpin, which often feels like too much foam, (nice to paddle though) but maybe the Dom being eps, it might feel more nimble at the same volume as the KP? Whereas the 506 is about 28.2 L , and my JS Blak Box is 28.6 L and I can paddle that ok. But maybe the design of the board I could go the 508. Wanna start trying a few airs and tail slides! Thx in advance....PS my Potato rules! its 506, I know ,way too big but still heaps of fun for tiny days, the lawns never get done anymore :)
    Last edited by Spudley; 08-08-2012, 01:30 AM.

This might be a bit controversial but....I wouldnt rate the Dom as more of a performer than a KP. If FW made the KP they would certainly market it as a higher performance version of the Dominator with its double flyer and more refined outline and foil....hang on...isnt that the Activator??? I also wouldnt rate the Spitfire as more HP than the KP. For me you would be looking at a round tail Alt (probably a custom to beef it up a bit) or something like that.

Comment

Thx for the reply, I thought maybe the Dom being a lot shorter and lighter than the KP it may be a bit whippier. Good call on the Alt, il check it out thx

Comment

I agree with FW Fan totally - I've recently replaced my 6'2" Dom with a 6'4" Alt and could not be happier.
        The Alt is more responsive, turns better and even paddles better than the Dom did (at a little less volume). The big tail on the Dom always felt a bit disconnected to me.

Comment

Iv just scored a 2nd hand 5 8 Dom, so il see how that goes ! thx for the input guys

Comment

Nice buy, that'll be a gem!

Comment

Yeah cant wait till Tues when it turns up! Gonna have to redo my other firewires as iv gone down heaps in volume in the last 12 months. The Volume of the 508 Dom seems right. My 6' HF feels too big now. ...mac

Comment

Working...
              X