X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 510 or60

175-185 North east NYNJsurfer 28 yrs experience well travelled solid fit surfer . Not flashy but solid top to bottom all arounder .

5'4 sweet potato just got .
    std shorty would be 6'3 x 19.5 x 2.6

im between a 5'10-6'0 . i know 5'10 i can make work any one ride the next size up for winter heavy suits ?

I'd say 510 if you want to maximise performance. Go 600 if you want a little easier ride and more bottom end for smaller conditions.

Comment

Yeah thanks . Seems a lot of FW boards I'm in between . One problem of NE surfing is wide range of wetsuits and conditions we have . In perfect suit in no rubber at my skill set I could ride a 5'8 no problem . It's so hit or miss here and at times very hard currents and winds low end volume boards while great once up and riding force you to work a lot harder especially in 543 steamers and booties hoods and gloves .
      Tough call . My gut tells me 6'0 would cover widest end . Just curious how much less performance would there be . Is the rail and tail width the same on the 510&600? Honestly 1.5 cuL in winter rubber is a good compensation but it depends on where it's carried

Comment

paging chris....... haven't felt up the bigger doms

Comment

Originally posted by Dorado View Post
          175-185 North east NYNJsurfer 28 yrs experience well travelled solid fit surfer . Not flashy but solid top to bottom all arounder .

5'4 sweet potato just got .
          std shorty would be 6'3 x 19.5 x 2.6

im between a 5'10-6'0 . i know 5'10 i can make work any one ride the next size up for winter heavy suits ?
          Yup, I oversize on winter to compensate for all the rubber!!!. Usually surf Maine whenever swells hit the coast

Comment

...My gut tells me 6'0 would cover widest end . Just curious how much less performance would there be . Is the rail and tail width the same on the 510&600? Honestly 1.5 cuL in winter rubber is a good compensation but it depends on where it's carried
            I think your gut might be wrong on this. I reckon 5'10", how much does a wet 543 steamer weigh, 5lbs? The problem with the dom is the tail, if you get into something with a bit of juice it will spin out if you push it too hard.

I remember when I was first riding mine, there was a day of perfect 3-4' barreling waves at my local beach and the thing would just jump out of the wave because the tail would not bite. One wave I was helicoptering down the wave it jumped one way and when it landed it jumped the other way - I remember wondering afterwards what the heck had just happened. I still made the wave but totally missed the barrel while I was on a rodeo ride. Late drops and and hard square bottom turns and it would do it every time. Yet you could still surf bigger waves that weren't barreling without any problem. That will be the problem.

With too much volume it will take less power to make it spin out. For the low end it will be fine but if you do find yourself in some quality waves it might limiting what you can do on them. You can still get into the barrel but you will need to take care not to push it too hard because you just won't have that much edge control. If you have another board for good waves then it won't matter so much. I ride a 6'0 dom and I'm 195-200lbs.

Comment

Thanks all things to consider . I recently flipped ( sold) a board that was a great paddler and wave catcher but took on a trip or in fast powerful surf and wouldn't lean over on rail or pivot well because of the volume . Loved te early in and paddling back around to the peak but performance wise it really hurt .

Comment

Thanks all things to consider . I recently flipped ( sold) a board that was a great paddler and wave catcher but took on a trip or in fast powerful surf and wouldn't lean over on rail or pivot well because of the volume . Loved te early in and paddling back around to the peak but performance wise it really hurt .
                The other thing to consider if you really want the paddle power of 34.9L is to go to a 6'0 Spitfire with the step down rails and thinner tail it does not spin out like the dom can. It provides a bit more bite and turns faster and tighter too. Pretty much the same board except the tail. It's why I went to a spitfire. I still think 5'10" would be fine anyway even in a Spitfire.

Comment

yeah i think slow man give some good advice here. Dorado how well does your shortboard work for you? i am about 170-175lbs and in Maine, the dominator works all seasons. steamer or the occasional boardies. Based on your weight and the fact that you are on a 504 Sweet Potato, I would start with the 510. Plus as you use it a lot, you'll get better and likely prefer the reduced size.

In NY/NJ you have punchy enough beach break that a smaller board should go well for you!!

Hope this helps further....

Comment

Picked up a 510 Spitfire in Rapidfire yesterday .....

Comment

woohoo! Hope you get as much stoke out of it as I get from mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X