X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feet issues when getting up . . .

So I was surfing a 6'2" DOM last year and loved that board but figured it was time to drop 2 inches and get a little more performance out of the DOM. My problem is that when I surf the DOM my feet get too far forward and I cannot surf it like I want to in the sweet spot.

When I surf my ELF I have no problem getting my feet right although I must admit my feet are probably a bit too far forward on that one as well.

Should I move back on the board? This might be weird because I might not be in the most balanced spot when taking off.

Not really wanting to sell it and get a 6'2" as it is a brand new board and the couple waves I have had on it have been great!

Just looking for some good ideas.

Thanks,

Everybody has an individual stance with which they feel more comfortable. You could always paddle the board a tide bit back or as soon as you stand on it just move your stance back. The more back the more pivot you'll have providing your front foot is on the right place... again hard to say without seeing it live

Comment

Yeah, tough to say. I know on my DOM that was 6'2" I always had the vent to gauge where I should stand and all. I think I need to move back a tad and go from there. Good call iggy. In a weird way I like the challenge of trying to ride a smaller board, but find myself not wanting to miss the amazing waves I have here in Mexico.

Comment

My surfing improved immensely when I consciously found the middle of the grip with my back foot but it took time to remember to make that little adjustment just before the first bottom turn. Its simply a matter of setting up just before you start done the line. I ride boards from 5'5 to 7'0 and do it on all boards so length is not the really issue unless you dont move around when you are to your feet. Most pros do it but probably hit the sweet spot as they get to their feet more accurately and more often than you and I as average punters. Just stay conscious of where your feet need to be and find that spot. Yes you will look like a kook and yes it is a waste of a wave but go out with just the intention of getting to your feet and finding that sweet spot. Take off, step back a bit with your back foot and feel the difference.

Comment

it sounds like you are a front footed surfer like me. The Dom needs to be surfed off the back foot whereas the Elf is a front footed board (for me anyway)
          When I had my Dom I was constantly adjusting my foot so I could turn it properly but when I surfed the Elf and now the Futura I just plant them and go....no adjusting
          To me the Dom just didn't suit my style....awesome board though but in the end it didn't make sense to have that extra thing to worry about.

Comment

I pretty much am always a tad forward on takeoff. Great for projecting bottom turns but not so great for driving to the lip, or snaps etc. So I just move back a tad after taking off.

Comment

Give it some time and you will adapt.

Comment

Surfed my Hellfire today at 6'2" and it went AWESOME! No feet issues at all, so I will give it some time and see how it goes and consider it another challenge.

Comment

Yeah, surfed my 6'4" Dom today and over pressed the front foot a couple of times. It was only my second surf in 3 or 4 weeks with yesterday on a longboard and the waves crap, so I won't over criticise myself.

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                    My surfing improved immensely when I consciously found the middle of the grip with my back foot but it took time to remember to make that little adjustment just before the first bottom turn. Its simply a matter of setting up just before you start done the line. I ride boards from 5'5 to 7'0 and do it on all boards so length is not the really issue unless you dont move around when you are to your feet. Most pros do it but probably hit the sweet spot as they get to their feet more accurately and more often than you and I as average punters. Just stay conscious of where your feet need to be and find that spot. Yes you will look like a kook and yes it is a waste of a wave but go out with just the intention of getting to your feet and finding that sweet spot. Take off, step back a bit with your back foot and feel the difference.
                    The other day I had the gopro installed nad by accident it flipped down so for about a minute the camera was gettiing only my front foot.
                    It was interesting to notice how many little subtle movements of the toes I was making while surfing, things that will normally will pass inaperceived. Instintively our bodies do little adjustments to keep us in balance. Sometimes half an inch is the difference between us making it or breaking it!!

Comment

iggy's foot fetish surfaces...

Comment

Working...
                      X