Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I recall on first surfing the board it didn't seem to have any drive. I found it after a bit of fin experimentation and probably slight adjustments to how I surf the board.

Comment

Session two today Middle Trestles. Perfect conditions - slight offshore breeze, warm water, sunny skies, not many people out - perfect, except there were no waves. Tried getting the Dominator to dominate the few longboarders in the lineup, but hoisting my 6'4" 210 lb self onto my "little" board in ankle-to-thigh-high waves was nothing short of comical. My 9'2" Robert August Saber was very mad at me for leaving it home on such a perfect day. The waves were good at Lowers, as usual, but competing with 35 uber-surfers scratching for the same takeoff spot is not my scene. Maybe next life.

The Dom will stay in the bag now until the right conditions come around. Cheers!

Comment

Yeah no point trying to force it. Waist plus with some shape and it'll come alive.

Comment

Yeah, while the Dom can catch smaller waves you really need waist high and above to enjoy it. Today surf reports said 1-2 foot in Oz measurement, around knee high to waist high with an occasional shoulder high set. I found (as usual) that if the Dom has a pocket to turn in, it rocks. It drives and rebounds from turn to turn. If its a complete mush burger the Dom will still surf it, but you can't load up your turns. You need to surf more passively to avoid overloading the board, but it end up just feeling a bit blergh. Rolly polly loose but not for me.

Comment

We've got swell! Looking forward to a morning of 5-7' to actually test this bad boy. Knubster or thruster - stay tuned for details. I am prepping for tomorrow by pounding down some quality Pinot Noir.

By the way, if you live in SoCal and want to buy my brand new 606 Dom, give me a shout. No, I'm not shipping it to England or Oz, and I don't do pay pal.
            Last edited by Herzalot; 09-01-2012, 06:30 PM. Reason: shameless sales pitch

Comment

Ran it as a quad in 3-5' peaky beachbreak in Huntington Beach yesterday and had a great time. Lefts and rights. Took it out in 4-7' Middles (Trestles) this morning and rode it as a thruster - good call. Unfortunately, between crowd, wave shape and my consistently poor wave selection, I never really got a chance to link turns on an open face of a larger wave. Grrrrrr... Board felt good though, as far as I could tell. Next weekend is predicted to be 1-2' again. Dom goes in the bag, Mal comes out.

Anybody got any good Dom stories to share? It's a big world, but it seems like there are only four people who post here. Feed the stoke people!

Comment

great stuff Herzalot. a quiver staple for sure!

Comment

Good session yesterday in weak 2-4' surf. Rode it as a quad and enjoyed it. I still can't describe what the board does or doesn't do well, but I'm riding it pretty well. It is easy to catch waves with, that's for sure.

Rode the Longboard today in beautiful weather and great water temp. 1-3' weak surf, but who cares?!

Cheers!
                  Last edited by Herzalot; 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: stoke

Comment

Headed for Trestles tomorrow to surf with Kelly, Mick, Parko, Gabby, Owen, Taj, JJF - the usual crew at the Hurley Pro. OK, maybe I won't hit Lowers, but Middles might work. 3-5' should be perfect for the Dom. Quad or Thruster? Stay tuned for results. 90* air temp tomorrow, 67* water, no wind - this could be good. Shhhh, don't tell anybody. A hot Saturday in SoCal with all the WCT pros around should result in an empty lineup, right?
                    Last edited by Herzalot; 09-16-2012, 11:24 AM. Reason: Nobody calls him Joel

Comment

Ha sounds perfect. Good waves here today. 30 out already by 7am. Great!

I always liked the Dom more as a quad.

Comment

I didn't know it ever got that warm in Cornwall! Go man go! Report please - which board and how did it go? Stoke matters.
                        Last edited by Herzalot; 09-15-2012, 12:03 AM. Reason: punk shoe a shun

Comment

Ha not degrees. People!
                          Waves were fun, overhead and glassy. Surfed my CBD Taj and had some good ones. Popped a decent air but fell in the white water on the landing. I suspect it would be been very fun for the Mini Driver.

Comment

I have to disagree about drag with the Nubster.

My EF flys and I have only surfed it with 5 fins, K2.1+Nub.

I'd say foot placement will yield the biggest results.

Comment

Pretty good session at Middles (Trestles). Only Saw Mick and Pat O that I could identify, but lots of other unidentified surf royalty in the water at Lowers.

I am catching waves just fine with the Dom and now have my foot placement where everyone says it should be (all the way back on the wedge of the tail pad). Ran it quad (Stretch L). I feel very solid and confident on the board, yet I still don't think this board gets around sections like my 6'2" CIS Fishcuit does. Maybe it's wave shape or wave selection, but even though I catch a lot of waves, I never get very long rides. All of my waves seem to be closeouts (yet others are finding longer sections to ride). I'm taking my Fishcuit down there today. Predicted 3-4' We shall see.

Comment

Had a sick beachie session today on my 5'8 Dom
                                Nobody around and had this low tide bank that was running from out the back through to dry sand
                                Board was flying down the line off the bottom and off the top
                                Even sneaked behind the curtain on a couple
                                Nothing but good things to say about my Dom
                                It's looking sorta off white now but still going strong
                                Stoked

Comment

Working...
                                X