X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I like it?

I just got a new 6'6" Dom. I am 6'4" 210 lbs and nearly 50 years old. I started surfing when I was 36 and really can only claim to be an intermediate. I surf mainly soft waves south of San Clemente CA (Church, middle trestles, San-O bluffs). I also surf Salt Creek and HB. I am not comfortable in surf much more than a foot or two over my head.

I have been surfing Merricks. My favorite is a 6'2" Fishcuit (46 liters volume), but I also enjoyed my 6'4" Flyer, my 6'5" K-Small and my MSFG2 singlefin (6'10"). I don't surf enough anymore to ride my smallest board, so I basically traded my 6'4" Flyer for the Dom. I took it out on its inaugural run today and my response was....meh. It was 2-4', with occasionally head high sets, high tide at Middles (Trestle). The board didn't seem to do anything - just kind of average. I ran it as a quad (Stretch FCS) with a Knobster in the middle. Not real fast, not real snappy, not real lively, didn't catch every wave I tried to catch. My Fishcuit seems better on all counts (except for the occasional slide-out on bottom turn).

Somebody please tell me I am going to love this board, and why.
    Last edited by Herzalot; 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM.

Take the nubster out unless the waves have plenty of power.
    The Dom is one of the funnest and most user friendly boards going, you might just need to tweak your foot placement but I'd say you'll love it once it clicks.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      Take the nubster out unless the waves have plenty of power.
      The Dom is one of the funnest and most user friendly boards going, you might just need to tweak your foot placement but I'd say you'll love it once it clicks.
      Thanks, I will remove the knub. I assume from other posts that foot placement needs to be back a bit? I had my back foot on the front of the tailpad mostly.

Comment

Yeah back foot over the back fins I'd say. Try shifting your weight over that foot also.

Comment

yeah give it a couple sessions. also DEFINITELY take out the knub. Adds a lot of drag. I think that is the right size based on your height and weight so don't give up on it...

Comment

I gotta stop reading these forums. It sounds like the Dom is the least loved model in the FW line. Feel like I should have got the Spitfire, even though I've only ridden the Dom once. It's pretty bad when no-one on a dedicated forum site gushes about their purchase.

Comment

Least?! I think it is one of the most!! It was the best seller before the Sweet Potato took the crown.

Comment

Herzalot you'll be OK as long as you try a few different fin setups - find the right ones for you and it's happy days!

Comment

F........k my 5'8 is probably the best small wave board I have ever ridden
                  Easy to paddle, easy to gain speed and turns on a dime
                  I ride mine exclusively as a thruster, tiny centre fin though
                  Feels like I can do anything when I ride this board

Comment

That's what I wanna hear - Keep the stoke coming! The vast majority of posts I've read on the FW forums are all filled with existential angst about which board, which size and which fins. Let's hear some more Dom love!

Unfortunately, no real surf predicted this weekend, but like the rest of you would probably do when getting a new board, I imagine I will bring it out in the 1-2' dribblers instead of my proper Mal. Water temp is about 70* F (21 C). We don't get too much of that here in SoCal. No wettie!

Oh, and I traded down to the 6'4" - sorry, I mean the 604 - from the 606. All this talk about board size got to me.
                    Last edited by Herzalot; 08-24-2012, 06:38 PM. Reason: size matters

Comment

Originally posted by Herzalot View Post
                      That's what I wanna hear - Keep the stoke coming! The vast majority of posts I've read on the FW forums are all filled with existential angst about which board, which size and which fins. Let's hear some more Dom love!

Unfortunately, no real surf predicted this weekend, but like the rest of you would probably do when getting a new board, I imagine I will bring it out in the 1-2' dribblers instead of my proper Mal. Water temp is about 70* F (21 C). We don't get too much of that here in SoCal. No wettie!

Oh, and I traded down to the 6'4" - sorry, I mean the 604 - from the 606. All this talk about board size got to me.
                      Great! I noticed you had mostly 6'4" and the firewires have extra float - sometimes too much float is prohibitive - I think you've done the right thing there!

Comment

OK, kids, 1st session on 604 is in the bag. 1-2' dribbling, piss-poor, closeout, breezy, lumpy waves at Middle Trestles. BUT the water was warm. The board catches waves quite easily, despite the sickly conditions. I probably stood up 30 times. DEFINITELY better for me than the 606. Unfortunately, I never really got the open face of a wave - 4, 5 seconds max, thanks to the close-out, weaksauce conditions. On a few rides, the board felt solid and lively, on a few others it felt just plain wobbly. Not "loose," not "skatey," just wobbly. I'm not too worried about it yet. I'll probably try again tomorrow, under similar conditions - hopefully, it will be less breezy so the little waves can hold some shape. Cheers.

Oh, Stretch large fins set as a quad.

Comment

Unfortunately, no real surf predicted this weekend, but like the rest of you would probably do when getting a new board, I imagine I will bring it out in the 1-2' dribblers instead of my proper Mal. Water temp is about 70* F (21 C). We don't get too much of that here in SoCal. No wettie

For some more stoke check out the Noah Snyder Dominator vid on YouTube
                          I wouldn't stress about going smaller
                          From most people I see surfing the Dominator I personally think they go too much volume to compensate for their lack of fitness
                          Personally it gets too hard for my little legs to ride boards to there potential with too much beef
                          I could have gone a 5'6

Comment

I love my wife, I love my daughter and I love my Dom. The Dom is the best small wave board I've ever had. Lots of stoke here.

Comment

...On a few rides, the board felt solid and lively, on a few others it felt just plain wobbly. Not "loose," not "skatey," just wobbly. ...
                              That happens if you lean or move too far forward as I recall.

Comment

Working...
                              X