X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fins on the DOMINATOR

Just curious as to what people are using and loving for the small stuff. I am using the Performance Core K2.1's and finding them too stiff. Here is what I have to try:

K 2.1 Fiberglass
    SF4

And that is about it. I am going to try the k 2.1 fiberglass fins next to see how they feel.

Too stiff? Quad or thruster set up? Assuming you are talking about quad setup, I don't think the solid fibreglass will help you any. Go straight to the SF4s. I use them in my dom for small waves and they go OK. I find them loose enough and fast enough.

Comment

Ok, Ill give them a try tomorrow. Sometimes I try to do HF surfing on the DOM and it just does not happen. I am using a quad set-up. I really liked the fiberglass in my 6'2" DOM, would that make a difference going down 2 inches and stiffening up the fins? Not sure what that would do but that loose flexible DOM is not really the same board anymore.

Comment

Ok got the SF4;s in and ready to surf. It is pretty small but I know the SP will handle anything I surfed 1 footers today while pushing my son into waves. Crazy amazing board.

Comment

Brent, if the SF4s don't work it might not be the fins. If you already have a SP that rips in the small stuff why bother with the 6'0 dom? Just save it for when it is 2-4' and full and the hellfire for when it is 3'+ and sucky.

Comment

I can see why so many people have gone the way of the potatonator. It makes sense to have a board that covers more waves as I am thinking about selling some of these great boards I have. Just too much overlap. Ill give it a try today or tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Comment

I'm back on PC7 thrusters. As long as the wave has enough power to push/drive off I prefer a thruster. Also, a thruster set up seems to allow me to push harder in turns. I don't honestly feel a whole lot of difference between the GAMs and PC7's - the main difference I can discern is their colour! Maybe the GAM has a more rounded turn and releases off the top a touch more easily but its a matter of degree and could also be my imagination at play. The benefit of the PC7 is I can then switch to the PC7 quad set more easily - less fins to swap out. I think I'll now leave my Dom as a PC 7 set up, primarily as a thruster.

Comment

I tried the SF4 set-up today and it felt way better than the K 2.1 PC quad. Are the PC that much stiffer than the the regular fins?

Comment

I can tell you that the flex pattern is superior. The plastic ones are like marsh mallow and seem to flex a lot more from the base, and for me subsequently have noticeably less drive, the PC version has more drive because the flex is confined more to the tip while the base stays solid. I'm 200lbs but even at 185 I think it would be noticeable. Most FCS dealers allow a test drive, you just have to book.

Comment

Yeah, I need more summertime to play with my fin setups. Too bad my job will get in the way of that and soccer and coaching tennis. Oh well gotta work to play.

Comment

that's the truth!

Comment

Working...
                      X