Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you haven't surfed for 12 years and you are a pretty big unit I would say 6'6" all the way, but I like a bit of volume. There is nothing worse than trying to get back into surfing on a board that is too small IMO. From your description I would also consider the 6'6" Addvance. Only heard good things about that model. Good luck.

Comment

I would have thought where you are with your surfing 6'4" would be perfect. I still think you'll probably move to something a tad smaller over time, and I think the 6'6" would have worked perfectly adequately for you at this stage, but the 6'4" would probably be a touch better.

Just as a for instance, it's the snow season here in Oz. I've had about 5 weeks out of the water due to 3 weeks skiing over two trips. So I've out on weight and my paddling fitness is down. I surfed my normal boards for a tad and I felt like a gumby. I pulled out a slightly more foamed up shortboard and I surfed like a normal person again.

My point here is that the "right" volume for a given weight depends a lot on your current ability and fitness level. I just don't see how a board with the appropriate volume for a regular moderately strong surfer will work for someone basically starting over again.

So yeah, at 185lbs I'd say 6'4" to 6'6" is perfect right now, and over time you'll reduce to 6'2" to 6'0".

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
        I have the GMB 5 fin set and love it...sorry Slowman. We are all different and love different things. I didnt connect with the Solus but Iggy digs them...horses for courses.
        Quite all right Fan, I couldn't agree more. That's why I added the qualification "for me" meaning those shortcomings apply to me specifically, and for the dominator impliedly, rather than generally. Incidentally, I found GMB went OK as a quad set in my JS Kingpin.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
          Just as a for instance, it's the snow season here in Oz. I've had about 5 weeks out of the water due to 3 weeks skiing over two trips. So I've put on weight and my paddling fitness is down. ...
          Buzzy, too much apre ski activity in the taverna? I'll never forget my first ski trip, each day I'd come home totally annihilated, and on the first night I crawled to bed from the dinner table I was that trashed after about 8 hours solid skiing.

Oscar, I think I'd go with 6'4" the 6'6" would be good for the first couple of months finding your feet but after that the 6'4" would be a better fit and should remain so for some time. Though as Buzzy suggests at some point you will want smaller but by then there will be even more choices! Like spitfire, activator, mini-driver and jacknife!!! But that comes later when the FW addiction becomes fully fledged.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
            Hi Herzalot,

following your suggestion, I've got in contact with the shop and I've requested them to change the order. I thought that they'll rejected it as I ordered the board on august and, although the board hasn't arrived yet, it should be almost ready to be packed at Firewire. Well the answer has been totally positive and they will order a new one. They have to confirm me this and tell me more or less when the new order arrive, I guess it's like a new one so I'll have to wait a more month.

So, taking in account what I wrote when I opened this thread:

"...I'm 43, 6'4" tall, 185 lb and average fitness. I used to surf 12 years ago with a beginner to intermediate level though nowadays I guess my level is back to beginner as I've not surfed since then... I've bodysurfed a lot in quite big and strong waves all these years but not on a surfboard since 12 years ago..."

wich size of Dominator should I order this time?, I think 6'4" would be ok after reading all yuor advises and other threads about Dom sizes.

I'd appreciate a lot your comments and suggestions. I have a couple of days to confirm the right size to the shop where I ordered the board.

Thanks a lot in advance to all, you're being quite a help!
            6'4" looks like the right fit for ya. Surfing is like riding a bike,a couple of paddles and you'll be back on the saddle

Comment

yup yup!! keep me posted over email oscar if you have any question regarding ordering your board...

Comment

Thanks again to all of you for your comments and advises. I think I'll get the 6'6". Not too far from 6'8", I know, but at least 5 l. less of volume and still an extra of flotation that sure will help me at this stage. Also, following Chris advise, as I won't have the chance to surf a lot this year the 606 will be an easier adjustment and will get me in to smaller waves.

Cheers to all!

Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                  Buzzy, too much apre ski activity in the taverna? I'll never forget my first ski trip, each day I'd come home totally annihilated, and on the first night I crawled to bed from the dinner table I was that trashed after about 8 hours solid skiing.

Yeah, I love skiing. Skiing is what has kept me an average surfer. All my overseas holidays since 1993 have been for skiing. I haven't been on one surfing trip. I probably shouldn't admit that on a surfing website, but there it is. if I'd devoted as much time to my surfing as I have skiing I'd be twice the surfer I am.

Comment

I just got a 6' 8" Dominator FCS plugs. Haven't surfed it yet. Soon after I get some fins for it.

My post here is that I'm trying to figure out what fins to get and use for it.

I'm thinking the FCS SF4 Performance Cores, but wondering what other Dominator riders are using.

I'm 53 years old, 175 lbs, 5' 11" tall and have been surfing for 35 years now. I grew up surfing in Hawaii, and now live and surf in the Philippines.

I recently found out from a Orthopedic doctor after we were both looking at an xray of my hips that I need a right side hip replacement after years of too many sports wipeouts I think. I don't want to get one just yet. I'm trying to workout more and deal with it as naturally as I can. I'm taking Glucosamine for it which helps pretty good.

My bad hip makes it hard for me now to stand up at the take off especially in small waves. Chest high and lower weak power waves its hard for me to stand up with my bad hip and my other boards are not suited for small weak surf. When its overhead I surf my guns, and I can stand up with less trouble because there's more wave there for me to get up and start riding.

I got a 6' 8" Dominator because I wanted a short board shape but with lots of foam for maximum paddling and planing ability for small weak waves. Instead of riding a longboard, ride a shortboard with lots more foam was my new age thinking.

The older I get the less fitness and shape I'm in currently but I'm promising myself to get a workout program going, and to surf more, to get back into better shape.

Everything I read about the Dominator is that you can go down in length compared to your standard shortboard. For me I wanted this board for surfing small wave weak power sometimes blown out surf. I started with getting this Dominator, and am also considering getting a 6' 4" Sweet Potato for max volume for small junky surf.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone of any age, any size, any ability on the the fins they use on their Dominator.

Mahalo and Aloha

Comment

Originally posted by highsurfph View Post
                      I just got a 6' 8" Dominator FCS plugs. Haven't surfed it yet. Soon after I get some fins for it.

I'm thinking the FCS SF4 Performance Cores, but wondering what other Dominator riders are using.

I'm 53 years old, 175 lbs, 5' 11" tall and have been surfing for 35 years now. I grew up surfing in Hawaii, and now live and surf in the Philippines.

I recently found out from a Orthopedic doctor after we were both looking at an xray of my hips that I need a right side hip replacement after years of too many sports wipeouts I think. I don't want to get one just yet. I'm trying to workout more and deal with it as naturally as I can. I'm taking Glucosamine for it which helps pretty good.

My bad hip makes it hard for me now to stand up at the take off especially in small waves. Chest high and lower weak power waves its hard for me to stand up with my bad hip and my other boards are not suited for small weak surf. When its overhead I surf my guns, and I can stand up with less trouble because there's more wave there for me to get up and start riding.

I got a 6' 8" Dominator because I wanted a short board shape but with lots of foam for maximum paddling and planing ability for small weak waves. Instead of riding a longboard, ride a shortboard with lots more foam was my new age thinking.

The older I get the less fitness and shape I'm in currently but I'm promising myself to get a workout program going, and to surf more, to get back into better shape.

Everything I read about the Dominator is that you can go down in length compared to your standard shortboard. For me I wanted this board for surfing small wave weak power sometimes blown out surf. I started with getting this Dominator, and am also considering getting a 6' 4" Sweet Potato for max volume for small junky surf.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone of any age, any size, any ability on the the fins they use on their Dominator.

Mahalo and Aloha
                      Simon Anderson Large Quads...easy. Its a lot of floaty foam and your a guy on the bigger side of medium so you need a lot of fin.

Comment

Originally posted by highsurfph View Post

Mahalo and Aloha
                        I smashed my right hip in a cycling accident 16 years ago - came off badly on a descent when I hit a thick tree branch. Thinking of getting date and location tattooed on the scars!

I dicked around not wanting to get a hip replacement and got a high femoral osteotomy in 1994 - ended up getting a 2nd one in 2005 to reverse it. The most painful surgery you could ever have (10 days in hospital and 6 months on crutches!!!). I finally got a Birmingham hip resurfacing (BHR) in June 2011. The best thing ever, no more pain and I can run on it again. Get a BHR not a total hip replacement (THR) - you'll never be able to run on one of those and they won't last as long if you are active.

I say do it sooner rather than later because you will be pain free sooner and enjoying surfing and life more. If the BHR had been around in 1993 I probably would have had it back then - my goal at the time was to delay a THR for as long as possible hoping that something better would be developed. It was and it is the BHR.

I took glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate and that certainly helps reduce the inflammation but there were days when nothing helped and there was just pain. In retrospect if the pain is enough to make it hard to get up then it's about time to act. I blew a lot of good waves as my hip deteriorated and my pathology was such that certain movements caused sharp pain - like getting up on the board. Some days I'd blow up to 7 waves in a row until I'd numbed the sore spot to the point I could no longer feel the pain. What would happen as I straightened my leg in relation to the hip (somewhere about halfway through the pop-up) this sharp pain would make me jerk which would make me throw my weight the wrong way and so I then had to recover it - on fast down the line waves with no room for error I'd end up not making the wave. And trying to explain to the rest of the lineup that I was OK now was less than convincing LOL! So I missed a lot of good waves.

Once you're not getting as many waves it gets easier to stop going as much. That's why I'd say get it operated on sooner rather than later - you won't miss as many waves. The other good news is that a BHR is a quick recovery, usually just an overnight stay and out the next day and often off crutches in a week. Though, 6 months of movement restrictions to avoid dislocation (no hyperflexion allowed) the max angle you can bend your hip is 90 deg but you can walk and ride a bike which will get you strong and aid your recovery.

I really like FCS R2 quads in my spitfire - I also used them in my dom before I got the spitfire.
                        Last edited by Slowman; 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Hola Oscar.
                          I also live in Spain and I am thinging about bying a Dominator 6'6" as well. If you are not happy with this size, please let me know...
                          Saludos

Comment

Originally posted by hamburger4master View Post
                            Hola Oscar.
                            I also live in Spain and I am thinging about bying a Dominator 6'6" as well. If you are not happy with this size, please let me know...
                            Saludos
                            Hola hamburguer4master, I've tried to send you a private message but it seems that you don't allow private messages... try to change your profile settings so that I can send you a message.
                            Cheers,
                            Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                              I smashed my right hip in a cycling accident 16 years ago - came off badly on a descent when I hit a thick tree branch. Thinking of getting date and location tattooed on the scars!

I dicked around not wanting to get a hip replacement and got a high femoral osteotomy in 1994 - ended up getting a 2nd one in 2005 to reverse it. The most painful surgery you could ever have (10 days in hospital and 6 months on crutches!!!). I finally got a Birmingham hip resurfacing (BHR) in June 2011. The best thing ever, no more pain and I can run on it again. Get a BHR not a total hip replacement (THR) - you'll never be able to run on one of those and they won't last as long if you are active.

I say do it sooner rather than later because you will be pain free sooner and enjoying surfing and life more. If the BHR had been around in 1993 I probably would have had it back then - my goal at the time was to delay a THR for as long as possible hoping that something better would be developed. It was and it is the BHR.

I took glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate and that certainly helps reduce the inflammation but there were days when nothing helped and there was just pain. In retrospect if the pain is enough to make it hard to get up then it's about time to act. I blew a lot of good waves as my hip deteriorated and my pathology was such that certain movements caused sharp pain - like getting up on the board. Some days I'd blow up to 7 waves in a row until I'd numbed the sore spot to the point I could no longer feel the pain. What would happen as I straightened my leg in relation to the hip (somewhere about halfway through the pop-up) this sharp pain would make me jerk which would make me throw my weight the wrong way and so I then had to recover it - on fast down the line waves with no room for error I'd end up not making the wave. And trying to explain to the rest of the lineup that I was OK now was less than convincing LOL! So I missed a lot of good waves.

Once you're not getting as many waves it gets easier to stop going as much. That's why I'd say get it operated on sooner rather than later - you won't miss as many waves. The other good news is that a BHR is a quick recovery, usually just an overnight stay and out the next day and often off crutches in a week. Though, 6 months of movement restrictions to avoid dislocation (no hyperflexion allowed) the max angle you can bend your hip is 90 deg but you can walk and ride a bike which will get you strong and aid your recovery.

I really like FCS R2 quads in my spitfire - I also used them in my dom before I got the spitfire.
                              For the last 6 months I have been getting sharp pain with certain movement when I move my leg/hip. I had to get the car serviced the other day and its only about 2 k's from my home..lovely day so I dropped it off and started to walk back. Half way back I was limping and thinking of calling a mate to come and get me. I persisted and when home it felt fine so went about my day. Walked back to get the car in the arvo and same thing. Had a surf today and had to walk up the beach then up a relatively steep path..it was horrible until I started to go up the hill then it was fine. I rode my mountain bike 50ks pretty hard yesterday and nothing. I know its coming but I am trying to ignore it for now. I already have 4 titanium screws, a carbon fibre disk and dead people bone material in my back...I reckon by the time they burry me I will have my knees, hips and back done...the spoils of heavy weight lifting and years of rugby and athletics...go sport !!

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                                For the last 6 months I have been getting sharp pain with certain movement when I move my leg/hip. I had to get the car serviced the other day and its only about 2 k's from my home..lovely day so I dropped it off and started to walk back. Half way back I was limping and thinking of calling a mate to come and get me. I persisted and when home it felt fine so went about my day. Walked back to get the car in the arvo and same thing. Had a surf today and had to walk up the beach then up a relatively steep path..it was horrible until I started to go up the hill then it was fine. I rode my mountain bike 50ks pretty hard yesterday and nothing. I know its coming but I am trying to ignore it for now. I already have 4 titanium screws, a carbon fibre disk and dead people bone material in my back...I reckon by the time they burry me I will have my knees, hips and back done...the spoils of heavy weight lifting and years of rugby and athletics...go sport !!
                                Sorry to hear that Fan. Go see Dr Lawrence Kohan (99 Spring St Bondi Jn)...that sure sounds like ol' Uncle Arthur to me (forgive the prose; I mean arthritis). He did mine and a bunch of triathletes I know, he's done 1000s and he's one of the pioneers of BHR and joint resurfacing in Oz. He recently received his PhD in correct alignment indication for BHR candidates. Many of these artharoplasties have failed and principally because the joint alignment was all wrong.

Yeah rugby and other hard impact sports can leave their mark on your joints when you get older, that's for sure. I won't let my boy play rugby or league, he plays soccer now. Most of my friends that played soccer were still good runners in their older years and didn't seem to have any joint problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X