Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah its a good one. Chuy and I are the same weight and he is claiming the 600 Michel. Yeah you get in a rut going short, but it really comes down to preference in the end. The volumes of all my small boards are spot on, i just think the length isn't there that I want. gotta keep experimenting.

Comment

talk about hijacking the topic..this thread was on the knubster..and the pros/cons ...not one volumes of boards etc...tho all good info but perhaps best in a separate topic... I have ordered a single fin and gonna try the same...cut down to the specs of the Kelly Slater model...As my Dominator is Futures was a little harder to find any crappy old ones at home...plenty of FCS.

Will be interesting

Comment

Threads are like conversations...actually, they ARE conversations! You can't control where they go. As you say though all good and all interesting.

I just saw FCS have released a 5th fin they are calling a Kelly fin. Maybe, maybe not....who knows. It'll be interesting to hear how it goes as more people use it. I haven't even tried out my controllers yet, and just having had a...something...cut out and all stitched up I'm out of the water for at least another week. Grrrr. I kind if get the feeling that there's a general swing back to a bit more length (see comments above and also comments from Kelly at pipe about being under boarded).

Comment

agree buzzy...free flowing. speedy recovery...

Comment

Had quite bumpy surf this morning and the "slug" gets a little unsociable when you bounce around during a turn, you can definitely feel it let go.
            http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...669602&thumb=1
            I expect that is because of the low almost straight profile which gives it a real on/off effect. I will be trying some more refinements to make the change a little more gradual rather than such a sudden loss of hold. If the bounce is big enough it will be out of the water anyway but perhaps with more curve it won't be so sudden and more of a graduated change. It certainly feels as though the more knubster like one suffers much less from this effect when in the lumpy stuff.

Comment

Strange that Futures or FCS hasnt sent out a new Stubby 5th fin model yet. However, I now use thin packing tape now to cover the unused fin slots and I notice less drag at high speed driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post
                Strange that Futures or FCS hasnt sent out a new Stubby 5th fin model yet. However, I now use thin packing tape now to cover the unused fin slots and I notice less drag at high speed driving.
                You mean like this one. I don't know how long it has been out but it is on the FCS website for Oz. I know that Kelly was using it in NY...so perhaps since then.
                http://www.surffcs.com/imageprocesso...320&mWidth=320
                Last edited by Slowman; 12-16-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post
                  ... However, I now use thin packing tape now to cover the unused fin slots and I notice less drag at high speed driving.
                  Now that is interesting. I suspected these open slots were creating some drag and it would be worse in a thruster configuration with 4 plugs vacant.

Comment

yeah having the tabs open is less than perfect, but I personally have never finished a session and felt that my empty inboxes were letting me down.

one way to make cheap plug fillers is to take an old set of fins, cut the tabs off and drill 1/16" holes about 1/8" deep into the surface of the tab exposed while the tab is in the box. Then you can use a 1/8" drywall screw to pop the tab out when you need to use the box. Works for both FCS and Futures.

I don't do that myself, but its an easy way and probably more reliable than tape? better for the environment too as its unlikely they will fall out.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      yeah having the tabs open is less than perfect, but I personally have never finished a session and felt that my empty inboxes were letting me down. ...
                      Nor I but without having ever tried it and not knowing the difference you can't recognise whether there is any detriment.

Some polyurethane tape cut to circles would fit nicely over FCS plugs and seal out water too. We've been using this stuff to protect our nice carbon fibre frames in mountain biking for years now. You wouldn't want the same grade as used for frame protection as it has quite a strong adhesive which would make removal interesting - it could possibly tear off the finish coat. This stuff is used to protect helicopter blades too (aka helicopter tape). So reliability wouldn't be an issue though re-usability might be, you could perhaps re-use it a few times whereas the fin tabs would be re-usable indefinitely.

Comment

perhaps some silicone filling out of a tube or self-adhesive sealing tape cut to measure would do the trick as well? and removal wouldn't cause harm to your board. or just use stickers.

Comment

The super thin packing tape works great in the Futures rear quad fin holes (FUTURES have a much larger slot to cause turbulence drag.), after 20 sessions nothing has fallen off. Good for quicky ding covers as well. I would like to get a futures stubby fin when I ride it as a Quad. I just saw that FCS stubby posted by slowman. I may just cut an old composite fin down and try that for size.

Comment

since the NY Quik Pro i had been itching to try a knubster/guitar pick on my 5'8'' dominator and thanks to slowman i finally got around to foil an old G5 fin i had laying around. I more or less copied slowman's design to use it with my R-2 quad set:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMGP0456-1.jpg

Well, i took the board out today (in 3' to 4' long walled rights with a light offshore) and the board felt incredible. Very fast and drivey.

You get the feeling the knubster doesn't create any extra drag and just manages to give a bit more hold to the quad set. I usually prefer to ride the dominator as a thruster in any kind of surf over 3', but from now on i will now try to use this setup more, especially in waves with long sections.

I think the dominator with it's large tail is particularly suited to this kind of setup.

Comment

Alright....

So folks. I am actually taking this thread really seriously. I want to know from the people who have tried riding the knobby style fin the following:

Board model
                              Board length
                              your weight
                              surrounding fins

pretty interesting stuff....I want to archive it!!

Thanks all for the progressive approach!

Comment

Model: FST 6'0 Dominator
                                Length: 6'0"
                                Weight: ~92kg
                                Fins: FCS R-2

So far both test cases, mine and Alberto's are using Rusty R2 quad sets, I am thinking of testing this set up with K2.1 quads as well. I also have some other ideas for the shape of the stabiliser that I want to try too.

Comment

Working...
                                X