Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the flat k2.1 quad rears. Kelly actually uses different ones to his sig set and I believe that is because he prefers the 80/20 foil.
    I can't remember the difference but I did read somewhere on surfermag forum what the effect the foil difference had.

Comment

80/20 helps get board on rail easier

Comment

The Roundup

Attachment
        OK I've done a lot more testing and the last one seems to be the most effective, for what I want. The closer the trailing edge is to perpendicular (steeper angle) the more pivotal and direct feel it gives to the board. They all help with speed and drive but I reasoned that if I moved the highest point further forward it would make the board looser but still pivot in the same way. This didn't really happen, what happened was the slacker the angle of the trailing edge the more vague and less pivotal and direct the board felt. The only reason the "slug" worked so well originally was that it had a steep trailing edge, when it looked closer to just a sawn off GX. Once I refined the slug to eliminate the stark on/off feel in bouncy chop, it lost its direct and pivotal feel, pretty much a failure for my purposes - though it may have application elsewhere.

I think the MR TX trailer is an ideal fin to start with to make this kind of fin as it is narrower which I feel also helps with speed and unwanted drag and makes it easier to shape and foil. The thicker fins I tried like the GX and a G-YU (though these were slug versions) seemed to add some drag and cavitation though I'm not really sure, since they just weren't delivering what I wanted I stopped experimenting with them. In fact the G-YU was a much bigger slug (45mm deep) but I've since refoiled it to look more like last one above although its trailing edge doesn't finish as far back and since its height (depth) was greatly reduced it's more or less on the scrap heap. Same for the 2nd one above it has more pivot but not as much as the last and was also a little vague.

So in summary my findings are that if you want more direction and pivot you want a slack angled leading edge curve with the highest point towards the back with a steep trailing edge. The trailing edge finishes about 1/2" behind the last FCS plug (I don't know how that relates to a futures fin box) and the highest point (or depth) is just over 1" with a base of about 3 1/2" (90mm see http://www.finshop.com.au/Products?P...67&cmd=Display) just like the last one above.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Slowman; 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

SLOWMAN< shoot the finished template jpeg here..
          Last edited by Fritzkat; 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post
            SLOWMAN< shoot the finished template jpeg here..
            Fritz, it's pictured a couple of posts above (also in the attachment 187 in the roundup post above), it is the last fin of the the 3. If you want a bigger picture of it, I'll put one up later, let me know.

Comment

How Big are your back fins, I am not familiar with FCS templates anymore as I use Futures.

Comment

Sorry if I look like I'm repping CI lately but this is too good a deal to pass up
                http://channelislands-store.mwrc.net...oduct_id=47461
                AM Quad Set plus Knubster for $26. Get 'em while they're hot!

Comment

ha no worries PRJ....

Comment

Looks like they've vanished now, maybe it was a mistake of the offer was limited.

Comment

actually i did it. infiltrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post
                        How Big are your back fins, I am not familiar with FCS templates anymore as I use Futures.
                        Fritz, I'm not sure what you mean, if you mean the R2 quad set that I'm using a stabiliser with, the back fins are QRs, all the details on both front and back fins, such as area, rake, base, height and so on are on the FCS website.

If you mean the little stabiliser I chose as best for my purpose, and there is only 1 (ie. it is the 5th fin), it has a base of 90mm and height of 35mm
                        Attachment
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Slowman; 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                          Sorry if I look like I'm repping CI lately but this is too good a deal to pass up
                          http://channelislands-store.mwrc.net...oduct_id=47461
                          AM Quad Set plus Knubster for $26. Get 'em while they're hot!

PRJ do you recon those fins would be any good on an el fuego? dont know much about the AM fins, was looking for a k2.1 set but that could be a possibility too?

cheers

Comment

for $26 I'd say there's no harm in trying!

Comment

too true, only prob is they only ship to the states, I have a freind in NY who would probably take reciept and post em on to me.

The nubster isnt out in the UK yet is it?

Comment

Don't think so. I just had some fins shipped from the states. In a flat rate USPS package it was $13.95 or something for the shipping. I got the guy to mark the item as a gift and stated that there were used fins inside with a value of $10 and didn't have to pay any import fees etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X