Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally a desirable surf item that is wallet friendly....

Comment

So I went down to my local surf shop to pick up the nubster and I picked up a fin called the 5th finner. They did not have the nubster and was wondering what you guys thought about it before I return it and buy it through channel islands. The fin has a 4" base and is 2" in height.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...46274567423938

Comment

I just ordered the knubster on ebay ($25 including postage) to try on my 6' Dom (goes good without it but I'll give it a go) then was reading the old forum ( hours of good reading there) when I read about the deviant fin for the thruster. Do these fins go any good? Where do you get them from and how much do they cost? I might get one and give it a go. What fins would go with it? I have G5's at the moment on my board. I also have M3s and FG-3s available from other boards. Would any of these go OK with the deviant fin?

Cheers.
        Last edited by Danga; 01-15-2012, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Alright....

So folks. I am actually taking this thread really seriously. I want to know from the people who have tried riding the knobby style fin the following:

Board model
          Board length
          your weight
          surrounding fins

pretty interesting stuff....I want to archive it!!

Thanks all for the progressive approach!
          Hellfire 5'10
          Weight approx 82kg
          K2.1 quads
          The feeling is in-between a quad and thrusters No other way to describe it
          Some of the turns you can do has me smiling pretty hard

Comment

danga....deviant is available through your local firewire dealer...you have to get one...works with any fins...in fcs it is similar in template to the 5's....read reviews on old forum for in depth info...but get one...

Comment

i picked one up the other day, going to try it in my Sub when the swell drops off a little.

Demoing a SP on tuesday :D
              Last edited by Phill; 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danga View Post
                I just ordered the knubster on ebay ($25 including postage) to try on my 6' Dom (goes good without it but I'll give it a go) then was reading the old forum ( hours of good reading there) when I read about the deviant fin for the thruster. Do these fins go any good? Where do you get them from and how much do they cost? I might get one and give it a go. What fins would go with it? I have G5's at the moment on my board. I also have M3s and FG-3s available from other boards. Would any of these go OK with the deviant fin?

Cheers.
                Just get a Deviant.....they're real good

Comment

damn right

Comment

after looking at PRJs CIS link think im going to order the nubster with one of the following two set ups for my 5'9 el fuego and could also use on my 5'2 potato.

GAM - G1000 set up or an AM2 - GX set up.

Any thoughts at what might potentially be best for my weight (around 70-72kgs) in a 5'9 el fuego ?

I havent really experimented much with fins but I am enjoying my quad set of medium front and QM rear C drives (for those who have tried) and the SF4 quad set seem to go alright.

Thanks for any insight. I'l probably get the GAM - G1000's unless that would be unsuitable for my weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_s View Post
                      after looking at PRJs CIS link think im going to order the nubster with one of the following two set ups for my 5'9 el fuego and could also use on my 5'2 potato.

GAM - G1000 set up or an AM2 - GX set up.

Any thoughts at what might potentially be best for my weight (around 70-72kgs) in a 5'9 el fuego ?

I havent really experimented much with fins but I am enjoying my quad set of medium front and QM rear C drives (for those who have tried) and the SF4 quad set seem to go alright.

Thanks for any insight. I'l probably get the GAM - G1000's unless that would be unsuitable for my weight.
                      I have a quad set of GAM/Q1000s and I think they're too big for you and unless the El Fuego is a very loose board they will make it too stiff. They were too stiff for my dominator.

I think AM2/GX would be better suited to your weight. I think they'll probably make the board feel more pivotal and add a touch more drive.

Comment

just for reference, i jumped on a tiny 5'7 el fuego with futures yu's x 4...a small guys fin...had plenty for me to push against...and i'm 90kg...seemed to me to be a board you are pushing off a fair bit of rail so less fin (at least fin tip) needed...el fuego addicts may confirm this for us..

Comment

i'll need to try a nubby on that board....

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                            I have a quad set of GAM/Q1000s and I think they're too big for you and unless the El Fuego is a very loose board they will make it too stiff. They were too stiff for my dominator.

I think AM2/GX would be better suited to your weight. I think they'll probably make the board feel more pivotal and add a touch more drive.
                            Thanks slowman, Il order the AM2/GX combo then, the el fuego is flat and I guess stiffer than something like the dominator. I thought that larger fins had more drive though? wouldnt having a smaller fin be creating less drive?

I was wondering do the back fins have any real impact on drive in a quad set up or is it really the front fins mainly contributing towards that?

Thanks again

Matt

Comment

el fuego type boards get good rail drive too..so you dont rely on fins completely

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_s View Post
                                Thanks slowman, Il order the AM2/GX combo then, the el fuego is flat and I guess stiffer than something like the dominator. I thought that larger fins had more drive though? wouldnt having a smaller fin be creating less drive?

I was wondering do the back fins have any real impact on drive in a quad set up or is it really the front fins mainly contributing towards that?

Thanks again

Matt
                                large fins = more drive? Not really, in my experience the driviest fin I have is smaller than GAMs, it's my TC Redline. Things like rake and base length all have an effect. The GAMs have good drive because they have a rake of something like 36deg but that makes for a longer turning arc, a longer base can give more drive and combined with a more upright fin still give tight turning arcs (like the TC redlines do).

As for back fins, having an impact on drive in a quad set up, it's fair to say it does, but so do the front fins. I tried the GAM/Q1000 combination in my JS Kingpin and it was pretty good, so I thought I'd go for a bit more looseness with GAM/QR and it was loose but lost too much drive. So next I tried R2/Q1000 and also lost drive. So it's fairer to say you have to treat the combination as a whole and see how it works for you. The board of course, also has an effect on drive and looseness as Core pointed out.
                                Last edited by Slowman; 01-21-2012, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X