X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drat, double post
    Last edited by Slowman; 01-21-2012, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I should add construction materials can make a significant difference to the same fin template as well. I reckon you should try glass flex fins as boomerangs and see if they're any good for hunting!

Comment

Tried the nubster today on a 2-4 foot swell. Had a lot of stick on the face of the waves and was not very loose at all. I am not sure if I like it or not as I love my K 2.1 set up as a quad and this might make it stick a little more with the nubster in.

Comment

yeah work you could go smaller than the k2.1s or go with smaller trailers to try to loosen it up!!

Yeww!

Comment

I think after surfing today with it 2-4 foot and no nubster I like it better without the nubster. I think if the waves get bigger then I will go with the nubster. (3-4 foot) Chris, what would be the next smallest size from the k 2.1's?

Brent

Comment

I posted this in another knubster thread but thought I would share it hear too.

I just tried out a knubster on my 5'8" Dominator with the rusty R2 quad set. I wasn't 100% so I didn't get a full test. I had shoulder surgery in Sept and tore a ligament in my ankle in Dec. It was my first time out after my ankle injury. My ankle was a little tender so I didn't push to hard. I think in about two more weeks I will feel better about hitting the lip hard. I Did once but a bailed after I hit the lip because I didn't want to test my ankle that much yet. The shoulder feels good when I paddle. I have been good with the rehab.

I really liked it on the waves with a little more shape and size. On the smaller waves it did feel a little to stiff but I also felt week pushing my toe rail in because of my ankle so I know my transitions where not as fast as they could have been. It really did smooth the whole ride out. It made the board feel a little more locked in. I did a couple nice round houses and was generating a ton of speed. I did square off the bottom a couple times but I never really pushed it as hard as I usually do. It really feels like on a good wave you can really square of the bottom and get a nice smooth wrap. I just have to see if I like how it releases. It will be a couple of weeks before I really know how it releases with harder surfing.

I would say that so far it is an improvement on chest to a little overhead size waves with my R2 set. I will try putting some smaller quad trailers in with the knubster and see if it feels better on the waist/ribcage high stuff. Chest high to overhead it feels great to me so far. I'm thinking of having one plug put in my old quadraflex so I can use my Knubster on that board.

Comment

Try two stabilizers (or knubsters/cutdowns) where the quads would be with a MR TX trailer in the rear, M5's up front. Fast and ridiculously loose in the small stuff!
                Seriously good fun.

Comment

Attachment

Fun set up for 3ft and under, the 2 little stabilizers stop it spinning out with the MR TX trailer.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                    Tried the nubster today on a 2-4 foot swell. Had a lot of stick on the face of the waves and was not very loose at all. I am not sure if I like it or not as I love my K 2.1 set up as a quad and this might make it stick a little more with the nubster in.
                    I thought you bought a Rainbow 5th Finner, they are a slightly different shape and the dimensions differ slightly too. For side by side comparison:
                    Attachment Attachment
                    My experimentation with these things found the shape did have quite an impact. The other thing is you have 2 position options. I believe the 5th Finner is longer in the base and also with that rake would probably be a bit stiffer and might be worth moving it to the forward position to see if that changes anything (assuming you tried it in the rear position).

Muz that truly is a 5 fin set up....funny I don't think of the quad with a stabiliser as 5 fins I still think of it as a quad (but with help). However others are saying I'm riding with 5 fins...I must be in denial
                    Attached Files

Comment

Classic...I just posted up a bunch of photos of combos I'm going to try with my Potatonator with Futures fins on the "Potatonator small wave assasinator" thread that you may y'all want to look at since the Potatonator is the Dom's wild half breed cousin.
                      Too bad my Poatonator is Future's shod otherwise I'd have a set of FCS GRV's (the crazy curved fins) in it straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz74 View Post
                        Attachment

Fun set up for 3ft and under, the 2 little stabilizers stop it spinning out with the MR TX trailer.
                        Have you tried this set up with out the little side fins. Just asking because it looks much more like a thruster than a quad. I was wondering if it still has that quad out of the gate speed. I need to post some pics of my recent experiments.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Humm, interesting

Comment

Originally posted by saxman1 View Post
                            Have you tried this set up with out the little side fins. Just asking because it looks much more like a thruster than a quad. I was wondering if it still has that quad out of the gate speed. I need to post some pics of my recent experiments.
                            I tried this set up because I found that the quad was super fast but not as reliable turning and the thruster turned ok but lacked the speed. I have found this set up gives me the best of both worlds. I had this set up in another fish with a wide tail and it works well. Hey its all about fun and experimentation, ive just put PC7s thrusters in and they are alot faster than the M5s I tried originally.

Comment

Oh, I have tried it without the little side fins. Too loose. Spins out.

Comment

Originally posted by Muz74 View Post
                                I tried this set up because I found that the quad was super fast but not as reliable turning and the thruster turned ok but lacked the speed. I have found this set up gives me the best of both worlds. I had this set up in another fish with a wide tail and it works well. Hey its all about fun and experimentation, ive just put PC7s thrusters in and they are alot faster than the M5s I tried originally.
                                That's freeking cool man. It looks like it would just cause drag but you never now until you try. I used little twinzer fcs side fins with the Rusty fronts and the knubster in small waves. In the little stuff it felt pretty good but as soon as the waves got a little better and bigger I needed more bottom turn squirt. I put the complete rusty quad set back in with the knubster and I really liked it. I think the issues I had with it before had more to do with my ankle not being 100%. With my ankle being much stronger now I really felt good even on the smaller waves. Anything over chest high and it felt just amazing. I was doing really hard bottom turns and hitting the lip hard. The set up worked great. I can't wait to try it again. I'm going to get one center FCS plug put in on my quadraflex just for my knubster.

Comment

Working...
                                X