Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice DIY work! I'm a fan of the Nub in my Spit. Looking forward to trying it in the Minnie when it comes.

Comment

• Slowman, those large base fins in the back, they look really stiff, have you tried a smaller sets in the back? Just curious.

Comment

• Fritz, it's just a bit of an optical illusion, they are quite small relatively speaking. Roughly the front ones have around 9700 to 9800 squ mm of area and the rears are around 7500-7700, compare that with the Q1000 (K2.1 quad rears) which are 8158 mm**2. The Simon Anderson quad rears are humungous by comparison.

Comment

• you know...some folks have turned the deviant into a knub. Have to say, I am keen to try that!!

Comment

• interesting.... where's that dremel tool....

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
              you know...some folks have turned the deviant into a knub. Have to say, I am keen to try that!!
              Interesting. There wouldn't want to be much friction in the pivot, or else with less surface area it might be a bit slow to change slant. I'll get around to playing with one one day.

In theory it seems to me that there would be less advantage to a deviant knub. To my way of thinking the deviant is attempting to give a thruster set up some of the advantages of a quad, such as more hold on the active rail and speed. Whereas the stab/knub is trying to give some of the advantages of the thruster to a quad set up, like pivot and directional control. However, after all is said and done the proof is in the pudding.

Comment

• Sorry about the double post, I'm currently in Taiwan and connected through some nearby unsecured wifi...it's just a little flaky ...

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                you know...some folks have turned the deviant into a knub. Have to say, I am keen to try that!!
                Interesting. There wouldn't want to be much friction in the pivot, or else with less surface area it might be a bit slow to change slant. I'll get around to playing with one one day.

In theory it seems to me that there would be less advantage to a deviant knub. To my way of thinking the deviant is attempting to give a thruster set up some of the advantages of a quad, such as more hold on the active rail and speed. Whereas the stab/knub is trying to give some of the advantages of the thruster to a quad set up, like pivot and directional control. However, after all is said and done the proof is in the pudding.
                Last edited by Slowman; 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Does anyone know what fins are the blue ones - not the K2.1 as shown in the other picture..

Attachment Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Fibreglass K2.1s rather than Performance Core I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      Fibreglass K2.1s rather than Performance Core I think.
                      I don't think so... ;)
                      The fiberglass K2.1 have the white circle and the model written

Attachment
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                        Fibreglass K2.1s rather than Performance Core I think.
                        I think you were right :)

Attachment
                        Attached Files

Comment

• They are the FCS Prototype fibreglass material I think.
                          When Kelly won his 7x title FCS released 3000 Fibreglass k2.1 sets so you could try and track some of those down.

Comment

• Those fins look like solid fibreglass for certain and I don't think the K-flex was fibreglass, more some kind of rubber/plastic. I was going to say PG5s but they don't even have a logo on them. Hard to say but the template looks similar to me...
                            Attachment
                            Attached Files

Comment

• the other thing to note is that just putting any quad set in with a knub won't equal the same thing on all boards. Notice how far back and how close to the stringer Kelly's trailing quad fins are. That creates a much more thruster like feeling than something like a potatonator which has the trailers a little further out towards the rail.

It will take a little experimentation to figure out which quad set works best with the knub i feel.

Comment

• I am enjoying my nub on and off on my spitfire. I am riding with MF1 fronts and SXQ rears(shapers version of gxq). Without the Knub I find this set up super fast and fun.
                                With the nub the board definitely feels slower and a bit draggy, especially noticeable in fat waves. In powerful waves though I really like the feeling through top turns, it sort of helps you push back into the wave faster. While slower than just the quad it is still and looser and faster than a thruster. I will keep using the nub in preference over the thruster for more powerful waves on the spitfire in future

Comment

Working...
                                X