Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'11", 183 lb, 34 years old -- 510 dom?

I feel like I've got the answer pretty much dialed-in after reading all of these great threads, just (like everyone else) want to be validated that I'm making the right decision. haha. Seriously though, thanks for this resource - makes it easier to pull the trigger on a $700 purchase...

As I stated, I'm 5'11", 183 lbs., and coming up on 34 years. Been surfing 18 years. Pretty active.

I rented a 600 dom this weekend and liked it but felt it was tough to get on rail after dropping in on bigger sets. Was a breeze to get in to waves, which I liked a lot.

I feel like the 510 might be absolutely the way to go. I noticed though that the width and thickness difference between the two is almost nothing, which I imagine deals mostly with rail issues. Then again, this was the first time on a new board and some of the faults I noticed probably were at least 50% due to the board being completely new to me. Also, maybe the slightly less-full volume would help to 'sit' me into the water a bit more, making turning on rail easier.

Thoughts? advice? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Stoked.

Yeah 510 is a safe bet! What do you normally ride?

Comment

Yeah I concur!!!

510 based on height, weight and ability.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
        What do you normally ride?
        I was riding either a way under-gunned 6'3" al merrick mbm (narrow and hardly any volume), but it wasn't getting me in to squat.

I then switched up to a funky 6'7" thruster with a squash that held width all the way through the nose but was pretty thin for the height of the board.

The 6'7" was thin but had nice evenly distributed volume that let me get in to stuff but didn't work that well in the pocket, due to the length of the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jblsurfer View Post
          I feel like I've got the answer pretty much dialed-in after reading all of these great threads, just (like everyone else) want to be validated that I'm making the right decision. haha. Seriously though, thanks for this resource - makes it easier to pull the trigger on a $700 purchase...

As I stated, I'm 5'11", 183 lbs., and coming up on 34 years. Been surfing 18 years. Pretty active.

I rented a 600 dom this weekend and liked it but felt it was tough to get on rail after dropping in on bigger sets. Was a breeze to get in to waves, which I liked a lot.

I feel like the 510 might be absolutely the way to go. I noticed though that the width and thickness difference between the two is almost nothing, which I imagine deals mostly with rail issues. Then again, this was the first time on a new board and some of the faults I noticed probably were at least 50% due to the board being completely new to me. Also, maybe the slightly less-full volume would help to 'sit' me into the water a bit more, making turning on rail easier.

Thoughts? advice? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Stoked.
          Yes 510. I had exactly the same experience a couple weeks ago when I bought a 606 for my 6'4", 210lb intermediate self. Too much bouyancy! I went to the 604 and am very pleased. Anyone wanna buy my brand spanking new 606 Dom?

Comment

I would have guessed a 6'0" for your weight and age, but as you say the incremental steps from one model to the next in the Dom range often aren't large, particularly for those two models, so there's not a lot of difference (1.3 litres to be precise). Go for it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'll rent the 600 once or twice more to determine if I can really ditch the extra volume and still be okay. I really did enjoy getting into waves so easily. I've just read so many threads where people end up regretting not getting the smaller of the two options they were originally contemplating.

Comment

I have a 510 spitfire for sale ridden one time Rapidfire futures will include fins I'm in NY can and will ship via greyhound with komminity project flat Kelly pad and I'll throw in some fins .
                I personally rather have te 6'0 as I like more volume and can lay I over fine with more board .
                Pics upon request via [email protected]

Comment

I'm about 6'1, 190lbs, and 17yo, do you think 5'10 would suit me too? I'm looking for a smaller board to rip around on in the smaller days of surf.

Comment

If you surf well and are in punchyish waves its do able. Other wise you may prefer the 600.
                    How does it compare to what you're surfing currently?

Comment

currently i'm surfing a 6'4 x 20 x 2,5/8 but that is a lot of volume for me. i surf nj waves so there is a lot of variety but i am looking for something smaller that i'll be able to get enough float out of but still manuver however i want to

Comment

I think the 6'0 could be a safer bet but I wouldn't say the 510 was out of the question.

Comment

Working...
                        X